Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Center stand + car jack? Will do? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248337)

SandR 8th May 2019 09:56 AM

Center stand + car jack? Will do?

Hello,

My bike has a center stand, but that's only good to work on the rear wheel.
What if I need to lift the front (so that it's under its own weight)?
Can I just put the bike on the center stand and put the car (scissor) jack under the engine (with a piece of wood between the jack and the engine)?
Will that do for typical maintenance / diagnostics tasks?

Thank you.

renniks 8th May 2019 10:01 AM

Re: Center stand + car jack? Will do?

Maybe get a pair of axle stands, and support the bike on a stout piece of timber underneath the engine, with a stand either side. It's safer to use axle stands than to rely on a single point of support with a jack

SandR 8th May 2019 10:10 AM

[quote=renniks;3571182]Maybe get a pair of axle stands, and support the bike on a stout piece of timber underneath the engine, with a stand either side. It's safer to use axle stands than to rely on a single point of support with a jack[/quote]

Thank you.
Would the front be still under its own weight this way? (e.g. for checking movement in bearings, etc...)

SandR 8th May 2019 10:13 AM

[quote=SandR;3571183]Thank you.
Would the front be still under its own weight this way? (e.g. for checking movement in bearings, etc...)[/quote]

Ah I think I get what you mean now. So yes, the front would be under its own weight.
So then, the key to this approach would be to make sure the piece of timber I use is strong enough. Quite daunting TBH :)

ehonda 8th May 2019 10:18 AM

I've always just used a car Jack and timber. If you end up doing it a lot consider a front stand which lifts up the front of the bike and still allows you to remove the forks. There's also stands that lift the bike by the forks

Boots2008 8th May 2019 10:28 AM

Simplest solution is to tie down the the back of the bike to something reasonably heavy once you have it up on the centrestand. This would leave the front end freed up to check for bearing play and the likes. More secure than the block of wood+scissor jack scenario too...

Burt_Munro 8th May 2019 11:06 AM

[quote=Boots2008;3571187]Simplest solution is to tie down the the back of the bike to something reasonably heavy once you have it up on the centrestand. This would leave the front end freed up to check for bearing play and the likes. More secure than the block of wood+scissor jack scenario too...[/quote]

I did the front fork oil seals by attaching (nailing) a beam across the top of the open side gate and lifted the front of the bike with ratchet straps. Worked great!

RTV 8th May 2019 11:12 AM

If you have one of the static scissor jacks that would be good but wouldn't recommend the hydraulic ones, those are not as safe and not the most stable either to be working on the bike in the meantime.

I use a motorcycle scissor jack commonly used for cruisers, piece of wood underneath and tie the bike to it for more security, then you can work away with no worries.

Confusion 8th May 2019 11:12 AM

[quote=SandR;3571181]
Can I just put the bike on the center stand and put the car (scissor) jack under the engine (with a piece of wood between the jack and the engine)?[/quote]

I wouldn't do it. You need to have a more stable platform while you
are working on the bike. Most inline fours and triples have the
exhaust under the engine, so you would be jacking under the
exhaust or on a part of the engine that may not be designed to
take the pressure.

[quote]Will that do for typical maintenance / diagnostics tasks?[/quote]

Both of my bikes have a double cradle frame, so I can use a
couple of axle stands to support the bike. It only takes a few
seconds to get the Bandit on the stands. The ZZR takes a bit
longer because I have to remove the lower fairing first.

If you just need to get the wheels off the ground, you could
use a pair of paddock stands. If you need to remove the
front wheel, you can get a headstock stand, which supports
the bike under the steering head.

There are other fancy and more expensive stands and lifts
that will lift the entire bike off the ground.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/0QyKQ3ZJ/zzr-axle-stands.jpg[/IMG]

allsorts&oddjobs 8th May 2019 11:17 AM

if you do jack it up (i often have) just make sure you dont lift it too far or it will lift off the centrestand and topple over. if you have a shed put a ratchetstrap off a roofbeam to you headstock for support.

allsorts&oddjobs 8th May 2019 11:24 AM

alternatively, if you can find a willing fat young wan, get her to sit on the pillion seat......

SandR 8th May 2019 11:53 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone!

[quote=Boots2008;3571187]Simplest solution is to tie down the the back of the bike to something reasonably heavy once you have it up on the centrestand. This would leave the front end freed up to check for bearing play and the likes. More secure than the block of wood+scissor jack scenario too...[/quote]

This sounds the most doable for my circumstances. Cheers!

ENGLISH 8th May 2019 01:30 PM

Cotters sell a neat little platform lift for under the engine. Much more stable than a car jack ( they turn and fall over with very little movement of the bike )

Abba Stand is the right job for front and rear work but you still need to tie down the back end.

ENGLISH 8th May 2019 01:39 PM

Cotters sell a neat little platform lift for under the engine. Much more stable than a car jack ( they turn and fall over with very little movement of the bike )

Abba Stand is the right job for front and rear work but you still need to tie down the back end.

HEATZ 8th May 2019 08:29 PM

[quote=Burt_Munro;3571189]I did the front fork oil seals by attaching (nailing) a beam across the top of the open side gate and lifted the front of the bike with ratchet straps. Worked great![/quote]

i have a permanent setup like that in my garage and can support the bike at both ends (have an RF600 dangling from the ceiling atm :lbhbh:)

GreenRex 10th May 2019 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An Alternative is to use is a c*ge* engine hoist something like this
Added advantage you can move the bike if need be. I have a two ton version of this and it works a treat :thumbsup2:

DavyH 10th May 2019 11:32 PM

It already has a center stand,so why over complicate things. Put it on the main stand on level ground,grab onto the fork lowers and take the weight off the front wheel,give her an Al yankavich and away you go....

scorpy 11th May 2019 12:44 AM

I bought a 500kg bike lift on flea bay for 30 something euros for the Harley. Works a dream. For the sumos I ratchet them off the ground from a set of straps over the garage beams. Just watch the centre of gravity isn't too high versus your attachments or it'll turn turtle. Handle bars and under the sub frame works for me.

Gixxer 11th May 2019 01:39 AM

No.

me2 11th May 2019 04:33 AM

Use the center stand and put eyehooks in the ground for anchorage. and leave that hanging from the rafters gig to the experienced rum sodomy and de lash perverts, ffs.

PS. using misc' jacks or stands can cause bigger problems than those they're utilized to solve. Wrestling with a precariously balanced bike or having to shell out on levers, mirrors and indicators wouldn't be my idea of fun.

the landshark 11th May 2019 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=GreenRex;3571322]An Alternative is to use is a c*ge* engine hoist something like this
Added advantage you can move the bike if need be. I have a two ton version of this and it works a treat :thumbsup2:[/QUOTE]

I use a similar one. Handy for front end work, ditto on the back end of the non centre stand bikes. It also takes the pain out of removing engines.