Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New Richa jacket leaking - normal? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248336)

SandR 8th May 2019 07:42 AM

New Richa jacket leaking - normal?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I got myself this waterproof touring performance Richa jacket approx 2 months ago and this is the first time I got hit by some rain (very lucky considering I'm commuting to work with the bike).
It was a very moderate amount of rain, nothing significant and it was a 20 minute journey. Meaning, I'd get awfully soaked in a real touring situation with real rain.

I do not use the inner layers that came with the jacket as it's way to hot to wear that way, even with all the ventilation open. (didn't even wear them in Showdonia and in the Peak District, so definitely too hot for commuting to work)

My question is:
Is the outer layer (on the picture) supposed to be water proof or it's supposed to get soaked and it's one of the inner layers that's supposed to stop the rain getting through to me?

Thanks for any advise. Please see the photos below:

My hoodie got wet in spots:
[attach]182825[/attach]
[attach]182826[/attach]

The jacket is not overly wet from the outside:
[attach]182823[/attach]

I did not use the inner layers - should I have?
[attach]182824[/attach]

johnny b 8th May 2019 08:35 AM

Re: New Richa jacket leaking - normal?

The inner layers are generally the waterproofing.
Is there an inner layer that is thin and looks like a rain jacket? Stick that in and see how you fair out.

The padded inner are usually more insulation.

Unless you get goretex gear or pay for klim or rukka you won't get an outer jacket that's waterproof without inner liners.

renniks 8th May 2019 08:37 AM

Look up the model of Richa jacket you have, and see if it says the outer is goretex/waterproof, or if the liner is.
Some designs have the waterproof layer on the inside, others have it on the outer material

seano 8th May 2019 08:39 AM

Pretty sure with Richa the innermost layer is the only one that's waterproof, yours looks removable, if you have the owners manual it should say. I had a cheap Richa jacket with non removable waterproof liner which was useless as once the jacket got wet the little membrane was all that kept you warm, and the jacket was about 2 kg heavier.

Confusion 8th May 2019 08:47 AM

[quote=SandR;3571168]Hi all,

I got myself this waterproof touring performance Richa jacket approx 2 months ago and this is the first time I got hit by some rain (very lucky considering I'm commuting to work with the bike). [/quote]

Is that a Richa Infinity II jacket? They have a removable waterproof
membrane.

[quote]I do not use the inner layers that came with the jacket as it's way to hot to wear that way, even with all the ventilation open.
[/quote]

I have a Scott jacket with a removable membrane. I usually leave
the waterproof inner jacket at home for short trips in warmer
weather. If I am caught out in heavy rain, I can expect to
get soaked. My non-waterproof phone will also end up floating
in the outside pocket.

[quote]My question is:
Is the outer layer (on the picture) supposed to be water proof...
[/quote]

Some jackets have a waterproof outer layer. Most have a waterproof
membrane permanently attached to the main jacket. These usually
have a removable thermal liner.

A few jackets have a removable waterproof liner and a separate
removable thermal liner. A jacket within a jacket within a jacket.

[quote]I did not use the inner layers - should I have?[/quote]

It's a calculated risk. At least you have the choice.

SandR 8th May 2019 08:52 AM

Thanks guys, that explains it.

I'm sure that's the case then as one of the inner layers had some iconography on it that made me think it's a waterproof layer. I thought, how strange to include a second waterproof layer as it'd make no sense to make a touring performance outer layer that's not waterproof in itself as you have to expect rain even if the sun is shining when you started and you can't stop and change the configuration of the jacket each time the rain stops/starts.

Ok then, I'll have to lose the hoodie and use that layer instead. Should be usable that way, just less practical. It'll be a challenge in situations when I wouldn't even wear the hoodie (like from 10'C I don't).

SandR 8th May 2019 08:57 AM

[quote=Confusion;3571174]Is that a Richa Infinity II jacket?
A few jackets have a removable waterproof liner and a separate
removable thermal liner. A jacket within a jacket within a jacket.
[/quote]

Yes, it is.. ..and it has both layers, separately, both removable. I just didn't intend to use any layer below 0'C as I was roasting in the jacket in 0-3'C with the layers in. Will try the waterproof layer alone, I didn't try that yet.

Thank you.

allsorts&oddjobs 8th May 2019 09:26 AM

[quote=SandR;3571176]Yes, it is.. ..and it has both layers, separately, both removable. I just didn't intend to use any layer below 0'C as I was roasting in the jacket in 0-3'C with the layers in. Will try the waterproof layer alone, I didn't try that yet.

Thank you.[/quote]

dont forget you probably have openable vents in the jacket too for when its too hot, fit the waterproof layer and open the vents, should be ok that way.

SandR 8th May 2019 09:31 AM

[quote=allsorts&oddjobs;3571178]dont forget you probably have openable vents in the jacket too for when its too hot, fit the waterproof layer and open the vents, should be ok that way.[/quote]

Will do, thank you.

FuzzyWuzzyWazza 8th May 2019 12:31 PM

Most Goretex gear has what the call a Z liner, you can normally see this between the inner mesh liner of the jacket and the other one, some have a removable Z liner, for the outer layer to be waterproof you would need to get Goretex Pro, they bond the Goretex layer to the outer layer so it doesn't absorb water and get sodden and heavy

SandR 8th May 2019 01:50 PM

BTW, do pants work the same way? The Richa pants I have only have a single inner layer and it's very warm. I'm hoping that's only for heat insulation.

[url]https://photos.app.goo.gl/tGXJGynSybG6swY27[/url]

FuzzyWuzzyWazza 8th May 2019 09:10 PM

Can't see waterproofing in the pics of the trousers, but it's hard to tell, might be easier to tell from the liner

faz1 9th May 2019 12:26 AM

Wear a waterproof over jacket is best bet

black pudding 9th May 2019 08:30 AM

[quote=faz1;3571240]Wear a waterproof over jacket is best bet[/quote]

That's what I always done had a regatta rain coat under the seat if I got caught out served me well I don't think there is any such thing as waterproof if u ask me

renniks 9th May 2019 09:00 AM

[quote=faz1;3571240]Wear a waterproof over jacket is best bet[/quote]

This is what I do - got a Richa waterproof overjacket from Lee's, to wear over my 20 year old Alpinestars jacket, which hasn't been waterproof for many many years, but still has good armour in it

Caffeine 10th May 2019 09:51 PM

Flexothane.

Phaedrus 11th May 2019 12:15 AM

Gore-Tex Pro isn't the only name in town for laminated/bonded design. Alpinestars Yokohama, Oxford Mondial, Macna Impact - proprietary (not Gore-Tex) waterproof membranes.

OP - you chose well with a jacket with a removable waterproof liner. As mentioned above, viritually all jackets will have a removable thermal liner, but often the waterproof liner is fixed - these can get [I]hot[/I] on warm days.

By removing the thermal liner you can layer-up instead with thinner stuff - base layer & micro-fleece.

By removing the waterproof layer your vents now actually vent (not so with a fixed waterproof liner). As mentioned above, use a separate rain jacket over your Richa jacket for wet weather.

This is about as versatile a system as exists. Laminated jackets are often one-trick ponies - great in the cold or cold & wet, but not so good in warm weather. I know Rukka users who also own mesh gear for summer. For over €1000 I'd be wanting my jacket to be more versatile than that.

Agree with OP that the waterproof liner inside the jacket makes less sense than outside.

Now... leather... :ninja:

scarebus03 13th May 2019 12:07 AM

I have a Richa infinity jacket that used to leak until I was introduced to Nikwax. Use the spray on the jacket twice a year and wash it with their machine treatment wash once a year. I go from Dublin to Limerick and back every week and even in torrential rain nothing gets in. I'm sure the weather protection on the GTR helps as well :)

Duke RR 14th May 2019 08:19 AM

spend the extra few quid on gear, its worth it in the long term.

if you cant, the Lindstrands rain gear is second to none, best ive used yet. Great quality.

[IMG]https://megabikes.ie/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/w/p/wp-jacket-black-523200001-700x500.jpg[/IMG]