Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   high mileage bike, (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=250045)

menapia dude 4th October 2019 12:31 PM

high mileage bike,

folks been offered a bike with 85000 miles on it with full dealer service history from new from same shop,bike is mint but what ye think about motor,fella owns it is 65 and used it daily for his commute to work in england on motorway ?

PJ 4th October 2019 12:52 PM

Re: high mileage bike,

[QUOTE=menapia dude;3580842]folks been offered a bike with 85000 miles on it with full dealer service history from new from same shop,bike is mint but what ye think about motor,fella owns it is 65 and used it daily for his commute to work in england on motorway ?[/QUOTE]

What bike?

CodeJACK 4th October 2019 01:32 PM

If its free, take it.

I dont understand why people get hung up on the mileage of a bike. If its looked after like your described it should be great or an excellent project

menapia dude 4th October 2019 01:45 PM

its a yamaha r1 5 or 6 years old

PJ 4th October 2019 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=menapia dude;3580847]its a yamaha r1 5 or 6 years old[/QUOTE]

If its a genuine 1 owner and the price was right, I wouldn't be put off.
But as I say, the price would want to be right.

Confusion 4th October 2019 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=menapia dude;3580842]folks been offered a bike with 85000 miles on it...[/QUOTE]

15,000 miles a year is higher than average mileage. Is this
reflected in the price?

[QUOTE]with full dealer service history from new from same shop,bike[/QUOTE]

Check against service and MOT history to see if any major
service work is due soon. Valve clearance should be checked
every 24,000 miles.

[QUOTE]fella owns it is 65 and used it daily for his commute to work in england on motorway ?[/QUOTE]

Motorway miles are probably less damaging than town miles.

PJ 4th October 2019 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=menapia dude;3580842]fella owns it is 65 and used it daily for his commute to work in england on motorway ?[/QUOTE]

Why would you buy an R1 if you were 65 and commuted on the motorway?
Each to their own and all that but it doesn't make sense to me unless you live in Germany.

Big H 4th October 2019 03:45 PM

I'd be happy if I could walk upright when I'm 65, let alone a major commute on an R1 - fair play to the gent for not getting an FJR.....:thumbsup2:

menapia dude 4th October 2019 03:46 PM

he is a cousin of the war office living with his mum still,never drove a car had his first bike at 50 an r1 also on his 3rd r1 in 15 years, 5ft 5 and about 7stone,so it suited him,done 2 or 3 spins around europe every year also,he covers up to 100k on each bike :thumbsup2:

Big H 4th October 2019 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=menapia dude;3580854]he covers up to 100k on each bike :thumbsup2:[/QUOTE]

Why's he offloading this one at 85k so....:ninja:

Again - if it's cheap, then why not - it's had an easier life (and will last longer) than a yoke with 8,500 (mostly track miles) you've to remember !

menapia dude 4th October 2019 04:13 PM

he normally pushes them to 5 years just asked me if i was interested so might take him up on it, going by forums some r1s have 120 to 150k on them with no issues

Big H 4th October 2019 04:16 PM

Sure many a lad could be already riding an 85k miler and not know it.....:ninja:

kawasixxer 4th October 2019 05:33 PM

Mileage isnít an issue if the bike is looked after. Wouldnít worry me. Probably last longer than somebody 10k mile bikes round here

RobbieBeGood 4th October 2019 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=Big H;3580859]Sure many a lad could be already riding an 85k miler and not know it.....:ninja:[/QUOTE]
lol! :lbhbh:

DavyH 4th October 2019 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Big H;3580859]Sure many a lad could be already riding an 85k miler and not know it.....:ninja:[/QUOTE]

Well that definitely isnít a reference to the missus....cause thereís absolutely no doubt....you would know:lbhbh:

me2 4th October 2019 10:40 PM

Those honest types really get on me wick ffs, its so reassuring to not know the truth of yer new low mileage dung deal minter. :devil:

Christopher Livingstone Eubanks 5th October 2019 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=PJ;3580851]Why would you buy an R1 if you were 65 and commuted on the motorway?
Each to their own and all that but it doesn't make sense to me unless you live in Germany.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that you can only ride fast in Germany.

Honda boi 5th October 2019 01:17 PM

I'd prefer a big mileage bike that's been serviced
Then a yoke with 8k miles sitting in a shed for 11 months a year

RTV 7th October 2019 09:13 AM

Only downside of a high milage bike is trying to sell it after, most people would walk away.

Other than that, everything else has been said already if it's a well maintained bike and at the right price, you shouldn't have any issues.

Kaos Theory 22nd October 2019 10:46 AM

Once the service history is there and the price is right, you should be fine.

Admin 22nd October 2019 11:54 AM

Knock 80k off and advertise it for sale as 'mint' like a certain gangsters paradise in the midlands.

Big bucks to be made with imported high-milers and being fair, most would never even notice any real difference as generally speaking these yokes are used as bling / ornaments for bragging rights here and scaring themselves shitless 2 -3 days per year during a heatwave in the summer months, rather than ever clocking up any real mileage - that's why anything in Ireland with over 20k on the clock is pretty much considered SHOCKING and tantamount to being a total write off in comparison to something that's had its numbers digitally enhanced :lbhbh: