Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tyre size? (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248161)

PADDYOT 13th April 2019 04:42 PM

Tyre size?

Lads,

Well after what seems like a [B]very [/B]short number of miles, I need to get a new back tyre for the bike. (2016 KTM Superduke R).

OEM tyres are Dunlop Sportsmax Sportsmart 2's. I've no experience of these.

The bike currently has Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SPs fitted and I like 'em. No issue with grip or feel. They warm up nicely. Typically, but not always, I go for a ride in dry weather conditions so not too bothered about how a tyre performs in the pissing rain.

My question is, OEM size for the rear is 190/55/Z17 but what's on it at the minute is a [B]200[/B]/55/Z17.

Why fit a fatter tyre? What advantage if any is a 200 section over a 190? Should I go back to the recommended size? I haven't really noticed any issue with handling on the current tyre.

tankas 13th April 2019 08:54 PM

Re: Tyre size?

Don't fit wider tyre, its not a cage and messes the handling, get what's recommended, Michelin PowerRS or Continental SportAttack 3 if you ride your bike mostly in fair weather.

batman_oh 13th April 2019 09:00 PM

200 Supercorsa is actually narrower if talking about actual physical width than lots of 190s (have one on 1199 and 190 on 1290). They are a tall tyre and will have more side wall for extra grip coming out of corners, where the Dunlop is much flatter.
I stuck the metzler m7rr on the 1290 and they work well. Similar profile to pirelli Rosso corsa and miles better all round than Supercorsa (longer life, work in cold and wet). The Dunlop’s were ok - nothing great.

DavyH 13th April 2019 09:41 PM

6 rim is good for up to 205mm width...Id be more inclined to run a 55 than a 50 for road use

Christopher Livingstone Eubanks 13th April 2019 11:00 PM

It won't make a noticeable difference, and as davy said, the rims are the same and can accommodate a 200 tyre. An example would be the new R1
R1 = 190 rear
R1M - 200 rear
Both bikes have same rims. Why would you want to?
To look more like a badass as wider tyres makes you look like you're riding a more powerful bike, up to a point. You wouldn't get any other benefit though.

DavyH 13th April 2019 11:38 PM

[quote=Christopher Livingstone Eubanks;3569325]It won't make a noticeable difference, and as davy said, the rims are the same and can accommodate a 200 tyre. An example would be the new R1
R1 = 190 rear
R1M - 200 rear
Both bikes have same rims. Why would you want to?
To look more like a badass as wider tyres makes you look like you're riding a more powerful bike, up to a point. You wouldn't get any other benefit though.[/quote]

Youll see on the tyre information sticker on an s1000rr:190/55 or 200/55. Both are acceptable. The increase in contact patch is negligible but the effective radius of the tyre is larger. Having a larger sidewall adds flex which helps tyres heat faster,it also adds shock absorbsion .The 55 refers to a percentage of the width(190 or 200). So the tyre height measured from the sidewall to the peak of a 200 will be 110mm vs 104.5mm for the 190. Then it comes down to the way the shoulders are formed,to have a steep or gradual drop off,which can be quite different between the manufacturers.

PADDYOT 19th April 2019 05:51 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice lads.
I went with the same size that was already on the bike: 200/55/17 Supercorsa SP.

I popped into Cotters for the first time ever a few weeks ago, just called in for a nose when the bike was in M50 Honda getting the recall and a few other bits done. Cotters wouldn't really be my 'local'. Seemed like a decent spot with sound folks behind the counter. Anyway, decided to order the tyre with them but they didn't have any 190/55/17s. They could get a 200 in a couple of days. Ordered on Wednesday, tyre arrived in the shop on Thursday (I appreciated the call to let me know it had arrived) and I got it fitted this morning. I arrived at 08:45, a few other customers arrived as I was waiting but I was still out the gap at 09:30 to enjoy the rest of the good weather!

Great service, I'll definitely be back.
It's funny how you forget the difference new rubber makes to the bike. Very very impressed with the Supercorsas. The old tyre was obviously wanked because the difference with the new one is like night and day. I think in future instead of using the last dregs of a tyre I'll just bite the bullet and change it sooner rather than later.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS