Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Helmet choice (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248129)

Rockster 7th April 2019 08:54 AM

Helmet choice

Have a motorcycleshop.ie voucher winging its way to me in the post (bday pressie) and have decided to treat myself to a new lid. Have narrowed the choice down to 3 - HJC RPHA 70 and Shark Spartan or mavbe Skwal.
Anyone any experience of these 3 lids. Have had Shoei in the past but the lack of a drop down sun visor is a deal breaker for me.
Main bugbear of my current lid is noise (Caberg Duke 2). Flip ups are fine but I find they tend to be much noiser than a traditional full face.
Which of the above is quitest or is there another choice I have overlooked....

cracker boy 7th April 2019 09:42 AM

Re: Helmet choice

Shoei Gt-Air 2 (and original Gt-Air) has a drop down sun visor.

The lever for the sunvisor on the Shark is in a very awkward place (on top of the lid)

RPHA 70 is a cracking lid and some of the graphics can be had cheaper than others.

Don't be put off by the sticker price of the Shoei.....the lads in Lee will discount them.

Gixxer 7th April 2019 12:41 PM

Are those helmets with internal visors even safe? I thought they weakened the helmet to the point you may as well be wearing a blancmange on your head?

tankas 7th April 2019 01:05 PM

Check the HJC i70, its successor of the IS-17.

Or could go for Shoei with a transitions visor...

P.S. to answer your question, I would go with Skwal if its comfy for you head. As the other two only gets 3 stars in sharp safety test.
HJC i70 should score 5, as the IS-17 did.

cracker boy 7th April 2019 02:13 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3568845]Are those helmets with internal visors even safe? I thought they weakened the helmet to the point you may as well be wearing a blancmange on your head?[/quote]

Shoei's internal visor system doesn't comprimise the thickness of the EPS.

It's a discussion I'm sure , that could run on and on.
I'm gonna trust Shoei's know how when it comes to making a safe lid.

gs plumy 7th April 2019 02:32 PM

Shoei Gt-Air 2 (and original Gt-Air) has a drop down sun visor.

Gixxer 7th April 2019 02:42 PM

[quote=gs plumy;3568850]Shoei Gt-Air 2 (and original Gt-Air) has a drop down sun visor.[/quote]
The GT Air scored pretty badly on the SHARP test, with one side of the helmet being extremely weak, and the other side not much better.

[url]https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shoei-gt-air/[/url]

Rockster 7th April 2019 02:48 PM

Would love another Shoei but its just the small matter of them costing 635. Even with a discount that's a big steepish for me. Should have said in my original post I'm looking at the 250 - 400 price bracket....

tuono1 7th April 2019 03:01 PM

[quote=tankas;3568848]Check the HJC i70, its successor of the IS-17.

Or could go for Shoei with a transitions visor...

P.S. to answer your question, I would go with Skwal if its comfy for you head. As the other two only gets 3 stars in sharp safety test.
HJC i70 should score 5, as the IS-17 did.[/quote]

The Spartan Carbon scores better than the more standard one, if you want to call it that, the carbon spartan gets a 4 star in the sharp rating. I see as well at the moment motorcycleshop.ie are doing a deal where they come with a free dark external visor as well.

RobbieBeGood 7th April 2019 03:33 PM

HJC IS-17 has a drop down visor, scores a full 5 star Sharp rating, weighs around 1500gm and costs 140 euro from sportbikeshop. If it fits, why pay more?

Jaskin71 7th April 2019 05:10 PM

Hi. I have the IS17 for sale with 2 visors good helmet. Send me pm if you are interested.

SoulX 7th April 2019 06:31 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3568845]Are those helmets with internal visors even safe? I thought they weakened the helmet to the point you may as well be wearing a blancmange on your head?[/quote]

They're not allowed for racing so what does that tell you?
Plus they're a fad imo.I can't stand them.I have a lid with a drop down visor
but I never use it,bloody annoying yoke.

b.c 7th April 2019 08:15 PM

I have the spartan carbon, nice and light but very noisy

seano 7th April 2019 08:23 PM

Have a Shoei gt air good helmet, got it new for 450. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I used the sun visor though, could do without it being honest, extra weight I don't need.

Gixxer 7th April 2019 08:43 PM

[quote=seano;3568868]Have a Shoei gt air good helmet, got it new for 450. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I used the sun visor though, could do without it being honest, extra weight I don't need.[/quote]

We live in Ireland. The amount of times you could possibly NEED a sun visor could be counted on one hand :D

R.M 7th April 2019 08:51 PM

[quote=RobbieBeGood;3568854]HJC IS-17 has a drop down visor, scores a full 5 star Sharp rating, weighs around 1500gm and costs 140 euro from sportbikeshop. If it fits, why pay more?[/quote]

Think the last IS-17 I bought cost around 100 online. It's the only brand/model that fits my quare shaped head.

Try on before you buy & not just for 5mins. I think you need a helmet on for an hour before u can be sure it doesn't pinch.

Learned from experience:wassat:

pedrosixfour 7th April 2019 10:09 PM

I use my sun visor regularly.

Just bought a new lid with it fitted, as I find it very useful.

Unless I was buying a lid specifically for track use I don't think I'd buy a helmet without it in fact.

cracker boy 8th April 2019 07:53 AM

Any day the sun is out and particularly in the morning or evening, riding into a low sun.

Used my drop down on Saturday and Sunday. If your doing trackdays or racing, chances are, you'll have another helmet for that purpose.

Japcati 8th April 2019 08:42 AM

Light tint visor for the road and the insulting tape trick.
Simples.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS