Biker.ie Forums

Biker.ie Forums (https://www.biker.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Bike Chat (https://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tried one of those new fangled electric motorcycles! (https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=248111)

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 05:54 PM

Tried one of those new fangled electric motorcycles!

[URL="https://imgur.com/ME8sVLy"]https://imgur.com/ME8sVLy[/URL]

Zero S model. 180kg with 80ft lbs of torque available from the get go. Zippy little thing I must say and a very fun bike to ride. Not quite so apprehensive about the electrically powered future of motorcycling now.

Gixxer 3rd April 2019 06:08 PM

Re: Tried one of those new fangled electric motorcycles!

Did you have it for more than 1 day?

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 06:15 PM

[quote=Gixxer;3568544]Did you have it for more than 1 day?[/quote]

I had it for less than an hour. This was a first impression at best.

VJMC 3rd April 2019 06:27 PM

Yep try going to Kerry on it and then let us know, ha ha ha, rubbish bikes

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 06:42 PM

[quote=VJMC;3568546]Yep try going to Kerry on it and then let us know, ha ha ha, rubbish bikes[/quote]

Potentially a decent commuter though.

chopper 3rd April 2019 06:46 PM

How did it handle?

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 07:01 PM

[quote=chopper;3568551]How did it handle?[/quote]

Neutral handling. No discernible flex or wallowing in a couple of long sweepers. Was able to use the throttle to stand it up and out of corner exits without any fuss. Well balanced for very low speed maneuvers. Slightly canted forward riding position puts a bit of weight over the front end but it started to rain so couldn't give it the beans properly.

VJMC 3rd April 2019 07:01 PM

[quote=RobbieBeGood;3568549]Potentially a decent commuter though.[/quote]

Yep, but?????? biking is more than commuting (for bikers) but yep loads of people have bikes but are not into bikes, they just use them for transport. It might be the future but not a very exciting one for me anyway

kwackquack 3rd April 2019 07:03 PM

My god it is ugly, would love to have a go on one though, it would suit my commute perfect too.
How did you manage to get a spin on one?

batman_oh 3rd April 2019 07:09 PM

A guy I know who has an electric car and is big into electric stuff tried it at the weekend too. Essentially said it was utterly shit (handling, brakes, suspension etc) :bag:
He was hoping it would be good too.

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 07:13 PM

[quote=VJMC;3568555]Yep, but?????? biking is more than commuting (for bikers) but yep loads of people have bikes but are not into bikes, they just use them for transport. It might be the future but not a very exciting one for me anyway[/quote]

The technology is far from perfected. But soon enough the range will increase while the charging periods drop. It is what's coming and there is little you, I or anyone can do to stop it. (I don't see anyone picketing outside Lenster House about it, mostly just grumbling on bike forums ;)
To be clear, I'm not an advocate of this change, I love my bikes just as they are. What I will say is that when this technology becomes mandatory (and it will) that motorcycling will still be a wonderful experience, petrol engine or no.
There's something different about electric bikes and that feeling of effortless silky smooth propulsion is something you really have to try.

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 07:15 PM

[quote=kwackquack;3568556]My god it is ugly, would love to have a go on one though, it would suit my commute perfect too.
How did you manage to get a spin on one?[/quote]

Zero motorcycles had an open day last weekend hosted by Bikeworld. And yes, it's a minger!

SoulX 3rd April 2019 07:37 PM

I would suggest doing a little research before opening the wallet.
Electric cage manufacturers are well known for embellishing their figures.
There's a lot of very pissed off Nissan Leaf owners out there :bag:
It's also worth noting the batteries discharge when not in use,
lots of tesla owners were left stranded after returning from holidays.
And it's not a case of charging up and off ya go,it's gotta go back for reprograming or some shit.

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 07:43 PM

[quote=SoulX;3568562]I would suggest doing a little research before opening the wallet.[/quote]

Absolutely, and they're far from cheap. The representative couldn't tell me the exact price as there's no release date set for Ireland. He did say they'd probably come in around the 13000 mark.

SoulX 3rd April 2019 07:57 PM

[quote=RobbieBeGood;3568564]Absolutely, and they're far from cheap. The representative couldn't tell me the exact price as there's no release date set for Ireland. He did say they'd probably come in around the 13000 mark.[/quote]

What's the performance like compared to a conventional bike?
Would you be talking 125,400,600,1000?

RobbieBeGood 3rd April 2019 08:08 PM

[quote=SoulX;3568565]What's the performance like compared to a conventional bike?
Would you be talking 125,400,600,1000?[/quote]
The torque is 80ft lbs which is about the same as a 1000cc sportsbike. It comes in at the first twist of the throttle though. The KW equates to about 65 hp, which is similar to a 650 twin.

woodsman 3rd April 2019 08:15 PM

My auld fella has run a Tesla for the last 2/3 years and thinks itís the dogs. Biggest problem he encountered was in Cork where thick bolloxes leave them parked on the charger.:doh:

NODSTER 3rd April 2019 09:02 PM

[quote=VJMC;3568546]...... ha ha ha, rubbish bikes[/quote]

So we'll never ever see one on display at yer VJMC Show? :lbhbh:

VJMC 3rd April 2019 09:03 PM

It would be good if a person could go and make their own mind up i.e. test ride a bike, but as far as I am aware we cant test ride the new Katana for example??? Pleases enlighten me? why cant we test ride bikes i.e important new models be it electric or petrol or steam powered and make our own minds up. If suzuki Ireland (who ever the fuck they are) actually let people test ride a bike and sold loads and then sold the demo bike for not too much money they would do great business what am I missing here? (same for electric bike sellers)

johnny b 3rd April 2019 09:31 PM

[quote=VJMC;3568575]It would be good if a person could go and make their own mind up i.e. test ride a bike, but as far as I am aware we cant test ride the new Katana for example??? Pleases enlighten me? why cant we test ride bikes i.e important new models be it electric or petrol or steam powered and make our own minds up. If suzuki Ireland (who ever the fuck they are) actually let people test ride a bike and sold loads and then sold the demo bike for not too much money they would do great business what am I missing here? (same for electric bike sellers)[/quote]

We are a tiny market at the very tail end of the supply chain.
To much investment in infrastructure to do what you are suggesting and fuck all bikes will be sold.
Even the cages we get here are under specced shite.

Return to MAIN BIKER.IE DISCUSSION FORUMS