Biker.ie Motorbike Forums

PDA

View Full Version : World Superbikes - is there a point??

skenny
21st October 2005, 10:05 PM
Just wondering how ye feel about the whole Moto GP -v- World SBK.

Since the rule changes allowing the 990 4 strokes into the top class, which do you prefer to watch?

Personally, I'll watch either if they're on but without SKY or eurosport - i haven't seen the world sbk races at all this year. The last few races last season were great and I really like that aussie guy vermullen.

I know that anytime i talk bike racing with anyone, it's always going to be MOTO GP and invariably Rossi. Is this because their is a limit to the amount of bike racing that you can watch and the majority watch the premier class?

If this is the case, is the future of WSBK a healthy one? I'd guess that viewing figures for the BSB's in the UK are way ahead of WSBK and I imagine that the AMA fans in the states are similarly inclined with their own championship.

any thoughts? - personally, I think that while the more racing the better - i have my doubts as to how long WSBK can attract big sponsorship.

NimmyZed
21st October 2005, 10:16 PM
I think its just that MOTO GP is the more widely known. Even among non bikers (ooooh-mainstream) If the WSBK was broadcast at more advantageous times on terrestrial tv it's own viewing audience would increase. I prefer WSBK meself. It's slightly more rough around the edges and not all polished like Moto GP - which is too like the formula one stuff for my liking. Those guys are pros. Some of the WSBK guys still have jobs away from biking. Well some do. :unsure: don't they?

Bigjoe
21st October 2005, 10:32 PM
I can't comment on official figures on attendance. but as a big time race fan having attended Silverstone for both WSB and BSB this year I would think the WSB had a bigger crowed.

BSB and AMA is great but WBS seams to be more popular than domestic series.
Compare WBS to MOTOGP and you are on a different level. Just look at who puts the money into MOTOGP, the manufactures. There is always going to be a vast difference here.

On a personal note I have attended all the above, to me WBS is the best. It has closer racing than all, and a better selection of races than MOTOGP.
As a final note let me say I only go to these events when there is no racing here in Ireland, REAL ROAD RACING, now as a Spectacle there is noting to compare.

Busman27
22nd October 2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 10:05 PM
[b]Just wondering how ye feel about the whole Moto GP -v- World SBK.

Since the rule changes allowing the 990 4 strokes into the top class, which do you prefer to watch?

Personally, I'll watch either if they're on but without SKY or eurosport - i haven't seen the world sbk races at all this year. The last few races last season were great and I really like that aussie guy vermullen.

I know that anytime i talk bike racing with anyone, it's always going to be MOTO GP and invariably Rossi. Is this because their is a limit to the amount of bike racing that you can watch and the majority watch the premier class?

If this is the case, is the future of WSBK a healthy one?* I'd guess that viewing figures for the BSB's in the UK are way ahead of WSBK and I imagine that the AMA fans in the states are similarly inclined with their own championship.

any thoughts? - personally, I think that while the more racing the better - i have my doubts as to how long WSBK can attract big sponsorship.

True

petrol head
22nd October 2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 09:32 PM
[b] REAL ROAD RACING, now as a Spectacle there is noting to compare.

Road racing is without doubt the most impressive to watch,And thankfully it seem's to be on the increase here,The skill them men have is second to none,No run off area no grass or gravel to soften your fall it's pure raw racing ......
The moto GP while is fun to watch and a very high level of skill it is turning into the F1 of bike's big team's lot's of money more to do with the manufactures and rider's than the racing,

Spoonman
24th October 2005, 10:06 AM
i'll watch either but i have to say that i do find the WSB and BSB more entertaining, the races are just far more involving.

plus, you have to remember that the the superbikes is the prooving ground for the bikes that many of us ride. this adds another element to the entertainment in that these guys may well be riding the same bike you have (with a bit of tuning and some slightly more trick suspension) and they can do *THAT* with it!! :w00t:

motoGP is cool, but SB is better.

although the best of either has to be the Moto 250's and the SS600's. those guys are utter lunatics!! GREAT to watch.

Big H
24th October 2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 10:05 PM
[b]I'd guess that viewing figures for the BSB's in the UK are way ahead of WSBK and I imagine that the AMA fans in the states are similarly inclined with their own championship.

The AMA Superbikes are not well followed in the US. Some of the rounds have pitiful attendances - like only 6 or 7,000 spectators.....

lenny_mc
24th October 2005, 04:39 PM
ill generally watch whatever racing is on, but my favorite racing is road racing. i love it. followed by everything else including wrc, but not f1.

Bino
24th October 2005, 10:42 PM
I'm with the road racing on this one alright. Most definitely the best racing out there and none of the riders get the plaudits or recognition they deserve for it.
Bravery, balls and nerve........