Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Join Us! Mobile Version Racing Section Mark Forums Read Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 22nd October 2008, 07:23 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4729 from D3
358 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: VFR800 FI
Modifications: Scottoiler, fully charged battery
Unhappy 23w bulbs on a CB500?

Hi lads,

Looking to replace the indicators on the CB with ones I bought in Halfords. Had a bit of a spill and need a new front LHS one so decided I'd replace all of them. Of course, being a numpty I forgot to go home and check the Haynes first.

Anyway, the ones I got in Halfords are 23w bulbs but the stock bulbs are 21w. Will that fook the bike proper if I put them on or wha?

niceone,
nocent
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:22 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10018 from Cork
6,512 posts since May 2008
Default Re: 23w bulbs on a CB500?

Originally Posted by nocent
Hi lads,

Looking to replace the indicators on the CB with ones I bought in Halfords. Had a bit of a spill and need a new front LHS one so decided I'd replace all of them. Of course, being a numpty I forgot to go home and check the Haynes first.

Anyway, the ones I got in Halfords are 23w bulbs but the stock bulbs are 21w. Will that fook the bike proper if I put them on or wha?

niceone,
nocent
As Long as they're 12v bulbs,they're fine,just uses a smidgin more 'lectricity,
and may be a tiny bit brighter.They wont affect anything.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:24 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 12561 from Doghouse lately
87 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: 900 divvy

Hi Nocent
That would be no problem - the difference in power consumption between 21 watt and 23 watt at 12 volts is so low as to make no difference. You would want the eyes of an owl to be able to see the ever so slightly brighter light. The flasher relays have a tolerance built into them which is much greater than 2 watts - it would have to be almost a bulb's worth before you could get into problem territory. That's why when one bulb blows the other usually won't flash - it has gone below the load the flasher unit expects. Fit and forget
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:32 PM
cybercide

Biker.ie Member No. 4050 from Dublin
8,335 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: bmw
Modifications: Somewhere to keep them out of the rain

Originally Posted by gcos
Hi Nocent
That would be no problem - the difference in power consumption between 21 watt and 23 watt at 12 volts is so low as to make no difference. You would want the eyes of an owl to be able to see the ever so slightly brighter light. The flasher relays have a tolerance built into them which is much greater than 2 watts - it would have to be almost a bulb's worth before you could get into problem territory. That's why when one bulb blows the other usually won't flash - it has gone below the load the flasher unit expects. Fit and forget
That's interesting The sort of post in fact that keeps me comming back to
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:47 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

358 posts since Mar 2007

Hi Nocent
niceone gcos and Fledermaus

didn't buy the flasher relays on the shelf beside the bulbs. was harsh enough at 22.95 for two indicators - do you mean the flasher relays that come as standard on the CB? (apologies if that sounds stupid, trying to learn...)

have the front bulb completely off at the moment and the rear flashes like it's 1979
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:50 PM
Novice Racer

87 posts since Sep 2008

Yep - the standard flasher that's already fitted will be ok with the new bulbs. After all, you're just replacing older flasher lights with bulb for new one. The one that's flashing quickly at present is doing so because you have to have both front and back connected and working to put the correct load on the relay that causes it to heat up, break the connection, cool down, and remake the connection. That's what makes em flash at the correct speed. If you find the flasher relay and look at the writing it will likely say something like 2 x 42 - 60 watts. Meaning it expects to have a load of somewhere between 42 and 60 watts to work correctly.( the 2 means it can works both sides at the same time as in hazard flashers). Two 21 watt bulbs + 3 watt pilot light+ maybe 3 watt repeater on fairing = 48 watts and within the flasher units range.
Do I sound like a smartarse or what
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:56 PM
Novice Racer

87 posts since Sep 2008

[The one that's flashing quickly at present is doing so because you have to have both front and back connected and working to put the correct load on the relay that causes it to heat up, break the connection, cool down, and remake the connection. ]
If the one connected light is flashing very slowly, it is still because you need front and back connected. Some relays flash quickly if one bulb is gone, some get it hard to flash at all (no pun intended)
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:02 AM
Supporter

358 posts since Mar 2007

Yep - the standard flasher that's already fitted will be ok with the new bulbs. After all, you're just replacing older flasher lights with bulb for new one. The one that's flashing quickly at present is doing so because you have to have both front and back connected and working to put the correct load on the relay that causes it to heat up, break the connection, cool down, and remake the connection. That's what makes em flash at the correct speed. If you find the flasher relay and look at the writing it will likely say something like 2 x 42 - 60 watts. Meaning it expects to have a load of somewhere between 42 and 60 watts to work correctly.( the 2 means it can works both sides at the same time as in hazard flashers). Two 21 watt bulbs + 3 watt pilot light+ maybe 3 watt repeater on fairing = 48 watts and within the flasher units range.
Do I sound like a smartarse or what
ha ha, quality. yeah I knew why the rear was flashing twice as much. same thing happens with a blown bulb. there's no side repeater as it's the naked version rather than the 'S' bikini faired one.

think the majority of the wiring is held inside the headlight. figured out (from a bit of creative googling) the colour codes of the wires:
Earth - Green
Left Indicator - Orange
Right Indicator - Light Blue
Main Beam - Blue
Dipped Beam - White

Think that's standard for most Honda's. Looking at the bulbs I've got a black wire and a black/white wire. So would I be right in saying one is live and one earth or does it matter? Really don't want to make things worse than they already are

thanks for all the advice
Old 23rd October 2008, 05:59 PM
Novice Racer

87 posts since Sep 2008
Red face Re: 23w bulbs on a CB500?

Originally Posted by nocent
ha ha, quality. yeah I knew why the rear was flashing twice as much. same thing happens with a blown bulb. there's no side repeater as it's the naked version rather than the 'S' bikini faired one.

Think that's standard for most Honda's. Looking at the bulbs I've got a black wire and a black/white wire. So would I be right in saying one is live and one earth or does it matter? Really don't want to make things worse than they already are

thanks for all the advice
Yep, you're right that one is live and one is earth. Soryy but I don't know which is which. If you follow both wires back you may ultimately find one bolted to the chassis - obviously that's earth.
If you are sure, and I mean sure, that the complete flasher lamp is totally insulated from earthing itself any where, then it doesn't matter which way round you connect wires to the lamp, but I stress only if you're sure. The bolt that may go through the rubber mount into another threaded piece to hold the lamp on the bike might still mean the lamp is not completely insulated. If this happens and the wires are the wrong way round, you will at least immediately blow the fuse.
Try to trace the wires to see which is earth. Alternately, use a multimeter. If you get a minus reading e.g -12.41 v, then that means you have put the positive lead of the multimeter into the earth lead coming to the lamp. Hope this helps.
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:09 PM
Supporter

358 posts since Mar 2007

sound thanks very much!

will get the multimeter out but maybe not in the wet tonight

hopefully sorted by saturday afternoon. i'll post up a few before and after if it works
Old 28th October 2008, 01:53 PM
Supporter

358 posts since Mar 2007

finally got a chance to fit the indicators (and to a lesser extent new bar ends) on Sunday when the weather cleared for a few hours. dropped into Northside motorcycles on Saturday and got the advice that I could plug either wire into either connector and the relay would take care of the rest. worked a treat

will take a photo or two later on and show ye the difference. btw, 23w bulbs with clear lenses, well brighter than the old ones!

cheers lads, glad i found all those months ago

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
23w, bulbs, cb500

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed