Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 23rd December 2015, 10:24 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 35237 from Dublin
52 posts since Aug 2015
Motorbike: 2000 SV650s
Default Motorcycle mechanics evening classes - Larkin Community College Dublin 2

Hey all,

Seen this ad on donedeal for "Motorcycle mechanics evening classes" in Dublin and was wondering if anyone had done it before...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-...asses/11114543

Seems to have three levels "Basics", "Advanced" and "Project".

I am a new rider who got his license in England last year for shits n gigs. Not really a big into bikes or anything, just never really liked the fact that I hadn't a clue how to ride one But I am a little bit of a petrol head, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and do most of the maintenance work on my car.

Like I say, I'm not really a big into bikes, but I am big into anything mechanical (I know, I'm an anorak ) So I would be more interested in taking on a project and refurbing an old bike back to health.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend this course? Is it worth the money? I am very familiar with car engines and maintenance, would I be better just getting and old bike and cracking on?

If anyone has done the course, could they tell me how basic the "Basic" part is? Are we talking explanations of what a spanner is, or something for appropriate for someone with a bit of mechanical background?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:56 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,677 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Default Re: Motorcycle mechanics evening classes - Larkin Community College Dublin 2

This is probably the best run bike course in ireland and worth every penny.
It's run by Denis who used to work in ace motorcycles, he's one of a very few motorcycle trained mechanics in the country.

The €120 will save you a fortune as it will teach you safety and servicing.
If you service your own stuff you will save money for life.
It's €12 a class so hardly a bank breaker.

Go for it man, then buy some tools if it's for you, great deals on the 97 peice teng tools socket set at theoment for €150 or the halfords professional stuff.
Old 23rd December 2015, 01:11 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
5,896 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads
Default Re: Motorcycle mechanics evening classes - Larkin Community College Dublin 2

Originally Posted by johnny b
It's run by Denis who used to work in ace motorcycles, he's one of a very few motorcycle trained mechanics in the country.

The 120 will save you a fortune as it will teach you safety and servicing.
It's 12 a class so hardly a bank breaker.

Go for it man, then buy some tools if it's for you, great deals on the 97 peice teng tools socket set at theoment for 150 or the halfords professional stuff.
This is very good value and built solid too.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?act...etail&id=34283

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?act...etail&id=34276
Old 23rd December 2015, 03:36 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25910
563 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: CBR1100XX3, CBR900RRW

I did the advanced course and it was great. Rebuild topics, down to engine internals and electrics.

Denis is a very good teacher, and the course topics are flexible depending on what the guys want to do.

Well worth doing, and cheap...that price doesn't even cover the costs of running the course
Old 23rd December 2015, 03:43 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

52 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by johnny b

The 120 will save you a fortune as it will teach you safety and servicing.
It's 12 a class so hardly a bank breaker.

Go for it man, then buy some tools if it's for you, great deals on the 97 peice teng tools socket set at theoment for 150 or the halfords professional stuff.
Sounds good then so! I was thinking myself that 120 is ffff all for 10 classes, will most likely sign up for the Basics in the new year (as long as work doesn't get too crazy)

Already have a fairly decent full set of sockets which are well worn in from looking after my last car (which eventually died of head gasket failure ). Probably not as good value as those above, but shur they'll do the job til they're robbed.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 23rd December 2015, 03:47 PM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by proto
I did the advanced course and it was great. Rebuild topics, down to engine internals and electrics.

Denis is a very good teacher, and the course topics are flexible depending on what the guys want to do.

Well worth doing, and cheap...that price doesn't even cover the costs of running the course
Excellent, I personally thought I might have enough background in car mechanics to skip by the basics

BUUUT as I have found out many times in life, I'm not as smart as I think I am....
Old 23rd December 2015, 04:29 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 34083
219 posts since Nov 2014
Motorbike: 1991 fzr 600
Modifications: no longer seized

i did this a year or 2 ago, great guy, well worth the money. i would HIGHLY recommend it
Old 23rd December 2015, 04:46 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23845 from carlow
465 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Street Trip, CBR 250

id love to do this but im a bit far away. id never make it straight from work. pity stuff like this isn't available in a few areas around the country - id be first to sign up for it!
Old 23rd December 2015, 07:51 PM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by fzr.rider
i did this a year or 2 ago, great guy, well worth the money. i would HIGHLY recommend it
More positive reviews, think I'll sign up to the Basics and see how I get on
Old 23rd December 2015, 07:53 PM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by sub zero
id love to do this but im a bit far away. id never make it straight from work. pity stuff like this isn't available in a few areas around the country - id be first to sign up for it!
I know, first one I heard of, and only found coz I was scouring donedeal for some christmas bargains
Old 24th December 2015, 05:02 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32347
290 posts since Nov 2013
Motorbike: still dreamin.....
Modifications: 5 day rambler...

Glad to hear this is worthwhile, didn't see the ad last time till a month after it started. Is the basic one like really basic? As in pugs, filter oil etc? Can figure that out me self I reckon.
Has anyone here signed up? Anyone know what the craic is regarding payment, do ye ring him and book a place then pay on enrolment kinda thing or does it have to be paid in full upfront? (money's tight for the next week and a bit, obviously won't be ringing him till Monday at least but don't want miss out again)
Old 25th December 2015, 04:19 PM
Novice Racer

52 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by Brrm!Brrm!
Glad to hear this is worthwhile, didn't see the ad last time till a month after it started. Is the basic one like really basic? As in pugs, filter oil etc? Can figure that out me self I reckon.
Has anyone here signed up? Anyone know what the craic is regarding payment, do ye ring him and book a place then pay on enrolment kinda thing or does it have to be paid in full upfront? (money's tight for the next week and a bit, obviously won't be ringing him till Monday at least but don't want miss out again)
I should be signing up for the Basic one in the new year. It could be a little too basic, but I dont own a bike (yet) so I would probably benefit from a more fundamental course. I imagine if you've done some maintenance on your own bike, it may be better to go for the advanced.

That said, I havent done the course so my opinion may not be the best!

PS Merry Christmas all
Old 28th December 2015, 12:55 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27004 from MIDLANDS
68 posts since Jul 2011
Motorbike: Cbr 900 & 600 race bike

Does anyone do these courses in the midlands ?
Old 5th January 2017, 07:12 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34728 from Laois/ Offaly
98 posts since May 2015
Motorbike: Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade
Modifications: shes quick

Is this still going ahead link has been removed any other way to contact Denis? There are no classes in the Midlands I've looked into getting advanced training and all I've found so far apart from this is dit cork or Belfast
Old 5th January 2017, 07:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 15286 from Kerry
1,641 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Tiger 800xc

Project bike has 20k miles on it at this stage!
Old 5th January 2017, 08:37 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 33833
450 posts since Sep 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SV650S, zx10r

Very good course, Did it last year
Old 5th January 2017, 09:49 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34728 from Laois/ Offaly
98 posts since May 2015
Motorbike: Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade
Modifications: shes quick

So it was still running last year have you any contact details for it
Old 5th January 2017, 10:39 PM
<< SAVAGE LID

Biker.ie Member No. 4646 from Back of the Wolfpack..Try
26,490 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: 2 Suzi's
Modifications: Sticker and Iba 35959

Originally Posted by fzr.rider
me too.
Dennis is a great guy
Old 6th January 2017, 04:53 PM
Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 9218 from Craggy Island
1,836 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: K5GSXR,DOMINATOR 650NX
Modifications: RG125F,GSX400,NC30

I want to do this. I just called the college and they seemed to know nothing about it. Anyone have a number for the Denis lad?
Old 7th January 2017, 08:40 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,256 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

Originally Posted by Snurger
I want to do this. I just called the college and they seemed to know nothing about it. Anyone have a number for the Denis lad?
There's the donedeal ad https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...sses-/14246937

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
classes, college, community, dublin, evening, larkin, mechanics, motorcycle

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed