Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 31st October 2018, 04:21 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 33582 from Midlands
231 posts since Jul 2014
Motorbike: The Owld Honda's
Default regaining corner confidence

a week or so ago I lost traction on the front for a split-second mid-corner, gave me a bit of a fright. Ever since I have no confidence in cornering eg. 80km road corner mild easily a 60km (well for me on a bros 400 ) I taking it at 30 or below bolt upright, which is nearly more dangerous as then iv a car up my hole then.

I ride the bike daily and have done so for nearly 2 years. had a few scares but none held me up like this.

any of the more experienced fellas have any tips to get the confidence back?
I don't what the knee down, just to keep in the flow of traffic.
Old 31st October 2018, 04:30 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,528 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes
Default Re: regaining corner confidence

Get some lessons . . .

Go out on the bike . . . tackle the same number of corners and gradually build your speed . . .

Head out with another biker and follow their lines. . .
Old 31st October 2018, 04:43 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,497 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

Don't force it, it'll come back. Just go for a spin when you can, relax and build your confidence back up.

From my point of view, take it from a relaxed enjoyable point of view, you're not going for lap times here so no need to push it, specially if you're not feeling it. That's the worse combination ever, you'll clinch up mid corner, look at the gravel and aim for it (target fixation).

Just relax and enjoy the ride, you'll get back to it.
Old 31st October 2018, 04:48 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,127 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: R1, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

i second the getting lessons approach, you can never have too many lessons on a bike, were always learning. if your really petrified ive found one thing to do is check the bike over and make sure everything is in good order.......... if you doubt anything on the bike replace it. you have to be able to trust the bike and yourself.
Old 31st October 2018, 04:49 PM
Clubman
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

231 posts since Jul 2014

Originally Posted by RTV
Don't force it, it'll come back. Just go for a spin when you can, relax and build your confidence back up.

From my point of view, take it from a relaxed enjoyable point of view, you're not going for lap times here so no need to push it, specially if you're not feeling it. That's the worse combination ever, you'll clinch up mid corner, look at the gravel and aim for it (target fixation).

Just relax and enjoy the ride, you'll get back to it.
yeah, that's another thing I forgot to mention... target fixation.

I'm not looking through the corners, I'm looking right in front of me (two or three feet ahead)
Old 31st October 2018, 04:50 PM
Clubman

231 posts since Jul 2014

Originally Posted by sharpbikes
i second the getting lessons approach, you can never have too many lessons on a bike, were always learning. if your really petrified ive found one thing to do is check the bike over and make sure everything is in good order.......... if you doubt anything on the bike replace it. you have to be able to trust the bike and yourself.
yeah that's the first thing i thought it was the bike but everything checks out.

its myself
Old 31st October 2018, 05:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23635 from Galway
2,685 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: MT-09 Tracer, SV650

Originally Posted by ROB95
yeah, that's another thing I forgot to mention... target fixation.

I'm not looking through the corners, I'm looking right in front of me (two or three feet ahead)
Definitely go the training route but also book yourself in for the next track training day in Mondello - should one in March...

Looking where you want to go is a big part of the course...
Old 31st October 2018, 05:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28844 from Dublin
272 posts since May 2012
Motorbike: NC25, NC30,NC35 MC22,RC31

What are your tyres like in terms of age? What is your suspension like?

A lot of times someone has thread on the tyre but the tyre is very old. Likewise a bros with decent suspension is a rare thing.

These wont make you magically better but its another thing that can affect confidence. My bros is probably the bike im most confident on because ive ok rubber and suspension (and its dog slow )

Likewise ive an rvf and a vfr, the biggest difference is that the latter has new tyres and the former has knackered suspension and 8 year old tyres. Im dog slow on the rvf but have some confidence in the corners with the vfr despite them being very similar on the face of it
Old 31st October 2018, 06:08 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Biker.ie Member No. 1921 from DNS Dublin
8,994 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: '01 ZRX1200R, '99 SV650S

Originally Posted by ehonda
What are your tyres like in terms of age? What is your suspension like?
I second this. Check the tyres for age, there should be a 4-digit date code stamped into the sidewall that tells the week and year.

Which reminds me, the tyres on my bikes are old enough to be enrolled in school, so I should start saving up for new hoops next Spring.
Old 31st October 2018, 06:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,630 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Get used to it and have fun with it, it's irish roads and weather after all
Old 31st October 2018, 07:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,579 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..

Check the age of the tyres as the lads say. Could be tyres alright, or even diesel on the road. You saved it though - so you're doing something right :)

Nothing wrong with riding easy in slippy conditions. Don't ride any harder than you're comfortable with. The more seat time you get tho - wet or dry, the more your confidence will come back, and by the time you some properly decent dry roads ye'll be flying again
Old 31st October 2018, 08:23 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by ROB95
a week or so ago I lost traction on the front for a split-second mid-corner, gave me a bit of a fright. Ever since I have no confidence in cornering eg. 80km road corner mild easily a 60km (well for me on a bros 400 ) I taking it at 30 or below bolt upright, which is nearly more dangerous as then iv a car up my hole then.

I ride the bike daily and have done so for nearly 2 years. had a few scares but none held me up like this.

any of the more experienced fellas have any tips to get the confidence back?
I don't what the knee down, just to keep in the flow of traffic.

As has been said already, its never a bad idea to seek professional help. If you can afford it seek the help of a recommended instructor, if you think you might not be able to afford it then you probably can. Money on decent training is never wasted.

Had a similar experience when I first started out on bikes Over shot a turn at about 110KMH (65mph) and it scared the be-jesus out of me. Thankfully there was a hard shoulder and soft verge so all that was damaged was my pride. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who was qualified to teach. We went out for an afternoon with him following and below is the advice I was given

DONT SLOW DOWN to the degree you are doing, slow down a bit, but if you are taking corners bolt upright as you have suggested this is probably as dangerous as going round a corner way too fast.

DONT LOOK AT THE HANDLE BARS OR THE ROAD DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOU while making a turn. I know that sounds mad, but your eyes need to be looking at the exit of the turn or as far down the road as you can see. By slowing to the extent you are now, the temptation will be to try steer the bike around the bend, and trust me no matter how much you slow it down the bike will drift wide if you try to steer. If your eyes are on the exit, as if by magic with no conscious thought the bike will turn itself. I know that sounds mad too, but it really is the case.
Going too slow will only encourage you to interfere with the steering.

Best bit of advice I was given was go to a stretch of road that you know really well, has a number of bends, and is wide enough so that if you make a minor mistake you have time to correct. Then go up and down it for a few hours. start slow if you want, but build up your speed slowly and gradually til you are taking those turn at the speeds you know you have done before. Dont rush it, take your time to build up and take as many runs as you need. If you are getting stressed, or get a little scare, pull over, have a smoke or take a break. Watch your position(are you too near the centre line going into a bend or to near the verge) wrong position is the difference between being able to correct a mistake or parking the bike in the ditch.

If you have done the above for an afternoon and still feel unsure then definitely get the help of an instructor.

Last edited by efanton; 31st October 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:50 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37502 from Balbriggan
94 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: SV650S
Modifications: Hydraulic indicators

Hey Rob, in the last 48 hrs i have gone through something similar and managed to move over. Here's how it went, it's less impressive or spectacular than i imagined it but..

So, just days ago got a sv650s and i started using it for my daily commute straight away. NOt easy, after a year and a half of doing so on cruisers, smaller cruisers. To make things exciting, i have 11 fecking roundabouts on the way to work and the same 11 coming back. Not a good way to get started on this bike. I was going slow enough and almost upright in one of them, the rain just started and i hit a patch of either diesel or oil, felt the rear going full muppet. Shattered my confidence and it felt i was crawling back home after it. Got a good few drivers mad behind me at every turn and roundabout. Scared of leaning, really. Scared of losing grip and control.

The solution came to me by accident. I usually let youtube do whatever it wants while i talk to the mrs. It randomly reached a few vids where lads talked about cornering and going through twisties with less lean and more "hanging" off the bike. Body positioning. So I tried it just for the craic on the way to work today and it worked like a charm. Much better progress with less effort and stress. Don't know if it makes sense, but i changed the position of my body instead of changing the position or angle of the bike. Now the more experience lads would say that i was probably still slow, but i was much faster than all the cages around me. Sorry if it sounds silly, but it made me happy tonight coming home and i truelly enjoyed my bike for the first time.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,579 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..

^ Funny, off-road or on slippy stuff, I'd prefer to stay upright and lean the bike in more, like the 'crossers do. Always feels to me like you have more control, and are better positioned to let your instincts take over if something steps out or breaks away.

It's down to whatever works for you I guess. Important thing is to get back out and try something different, see if there's anything that helps.
Old 31st October 2018, 11:08 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31434 from Dublin
357 posts since May 2013
Motorbike: KTM 990 SMR, KTM 690

I'd buy a KTM!
Old 1st November 2018, 12:06 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35390 from Clare
304 posts since Oct 2015

Check your tyre pressure, fork seals and headset bearings as well
Old 1st November 2018, 12:38 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37605
98 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: 2002 Bandit 600

I had a moment like that back in January and totally lost my confidence for a few weeks. Good news is that I passed the test in May.

I guess there are a few ways to approach it

Lessons - you can pay for them, and that's good. Or you could join R O S P A - but that only suits people who are committed to (1) actually getting better by being self critical (2) driving to speed limits and (3) paying it forward - it is all voluntary. So it is free in a sense but ultimately and rightly they'll ask for your time and talents. I joined and it has been very useful so far.

For me, I was going around bends in way too high a gear. It took quite a bit for me to realise that the sort of high revs that would kill a cage enginne is exactly what you need to be stable going around a corner. I was taking corners at 2.5k revs on the bandit - once I started taking them at 4-5k, it was so much more reliable and I'd so much more control.

There are loads of other individual tips - I guess we each just need to find the one that works for us at a moment in time.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:55 AM
Clubman

231 posts since Jul 2014

thanks very much for the comments lads,

I'm going to go out and ride about a bit like suggesting, but outside my commute and more the pleasure of it. that could be half of it.... 99% of time I'm commuting with a destination/ time in mind.
Old 1st November 2018, 09:11 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 17333 from dublin
548 posts since Jul 2009
Motorbike: 97 cbr 400rr nc29
Modifications: none

Theres a good video has helped me and find myself repeating things he has said in the video when im driving, braking before hand and look if the bends open or close and different road gradients and weather conditions. Try not to brake mid bend etc.
Old 1st November 2018, 10:58 AM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
936 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

As previously mentioned, find a quiet stretch you know well and ride through it a few times, but in addition, try to practice riding it without using the brakes at all or as little as possible in the entry, use the gears to slow it down and keep the corner speed smooth and constant. At this time of year, stay warm or you will start to tense up. Practice scanning the corner entry early visually and then shift your view to the vanishing point. If you still feel nervous, go get a couple of lessons from a reputable instructor.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
confidence, corner, regaining