Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 29th October 2018, 09:00 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,969 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
Default Maria Costello to become the first female TT RiderAssoc President in over 600 years

Maria Costello is to become President of the TT Riders Association, the latest in a long line of racing legends all, of course, men.

Click the image to open in full size.

Costello, who doesn't even smoke cigars, will make history as she “rides in” at the annual TTRA lunch on November 7.
“I’m honoured to become the first female to become the president of the TTRA. They are a fantastic charity and one that needs to be better recognised for all they do for TT riders and their families,” she said.

“As president, one of my goals will be to help raise their profile and therefore help even more people. I’m sure that their Friends of the TTRA could easily grow stronger – the TT event itself has such a huge and passionate following that I’m sure more fans would want to be involved in what the TTRA do.”
Another first was scored when 21 year old Spaniard Ana Carrasco won the 2018 Supersport 300 World Championship at Magny Cours after eight rounds battling against the best young blokes Europe could offer.

Both are great achievements but women have still to make the break through in motorcycle racing that many think they should, if given the right opportunity. Therein lies the rub.

The TT authorities once took the view that women were not strong enough and in the early sixties Beryl Swain was discouraged from riding even a 50cc Itom! Even now, although views have changed and Costello has mounted the TT podium a number of times, there are those who think she is not strong enough to handle a Superbike on the Mountain Course. Well, there are physical limits but she would argue:“What about Dani Pedrosa then?” And Jenny Tinmouth, who has competed in BSB, holds the female lap record at 119.945mph. Not bad.

Maria, awarded the MBE in 2009, is a great ambassador for motor cycle sport, still competing and including sidecar racing in her repertoire, and will receive enthusiastic applause when she mounts the podium at the National Motorcycle Museum to take up her new duties.

But as women are gaining more prominence in sport, even physical activity like rugby, motor sport still lags behind. This is not forgetting off road events where Britain has FIM world champions. Although it is easy to forget because they receive minimal attention.

Even four wheel sport bemoans its failure to get women behind the wheel. Fewer drive single seater racing cars than ten years ago and it is 40 years since a female driver last started a Formula 1 race. Perhaps that is not entirely surprising as it is estimated to cost 8m to get a junior from karting to be even considered for an F1 drive!

A group of people, including former F1 star David Coulthard, have decided, on the basis that women can compete on equal terms with men if given right opportunity, that something has to be done.

The Wseries has been launched for 2019 and will run alongside the German DTM series at eight events in Europe including Brands Hatch. Twenty chicks will be selected and they will race F3 cars, with four cylinder turbo-charged engines producing about 250bhp while their men at home, starve.

This being car racing the winning team will get somewhere in the region of half a million quid.

The idea of a women only series has not gone down well in all quarters and social media has, in general, been scornful of the idea on the basis that if women want to be equal why can’t they compete with men!?

This is the view of Maria Costello who has consistently argued that, given the right opportunity, she and others can. The argument is that after many years of that “right opportunity” not presenting itself this is a route for successful competitors to do just that.

Whatever is the right way forward, you can bet that Maria Costello will do everything from her new platform to plug her mission to get more boobs on track.
Old 1st November 2018, 10:40 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 12050 from sixmilebridge co clare
6,757 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: fireblade
Modifications: a moxy loads of stickers
Default Re: Maria Costello to become the first female TT RiderAssoc President in over 600 yea

fair play to her
but does anyone remember 600 years ago , the name of the last female president
Old 1st November 2018, 11:13 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5655 from Dublin
1,095 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: BMW
Default Re: Maria Costello to become the first female TT RiderAssoc President in over 600 yea

600 years ago; about when Moses came down the hill on his Triumph
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:16 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34016 from galway
1,188 posts since Nov 2014
Motorbike: gsxr 750

Was she picked because she's a woman and its cool to have a woman president or did she deserve it more than anyone else
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:40 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
430 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

Originally Posted by galway86
Was she picked because she's a woman and its cool to have a woman president or did she deserve it more than anyone else
Just like at work, she "deserves" it more than anyone else because she has a vagina.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:20 AM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,248 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Originally Posted by Caffeine
Just like at work, she "deserves" it more than anyone else because she has a vagina.
Lads lads lad, you can't say that, you'll be upsetting the snowflakes.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:25 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by PJ
Lads lads lad, you can't say that, you'll be upsetting the snowflakes.
Genuine question , was she the most qualified or deserving person , if she was then congratulations to her ,I personally think john McGuiness would be for the spot but each to their own
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:30 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 26002 from louth
654 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: honda cbf1000
Modifications: bungs, top box, hugger etc

Originally Posted by Caffeine

Do ye have these discussions with your mammys/sisters/wife/daughter I gave up on it after the last time I mentioned it. Anyway Maria will be good at it.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:45 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by macpudd

Do ye have these discussions with your mammys/sisters/wife/daughter I gave up on it after the last time I mentioned it. Anyway Maria will be good at it.
So they put you back in your box😂
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:16 PM
Supporter

654 posts since Apr 2011

So they put you back in your box😂
You better believe it, I have 5 sisters, no brothers, and 2 daughters, I know when to keep my mouth shut
Old 2nd November 2018, 12:57 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
1,549 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

On a side nore, when do you think the first lgbtq etcc etc transgen will be competing at the TT or has there been one already? be hard to hide it in the leathers
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:08 PM
Supporter

654 posts since Apr 2011

Originally Posted by faz1
On a side nore, when do you think the first lgbtq etcc etc transgen will be competing at the TT or has there been one already? be hard to hide it in the leathers
Who cares, anyone that takes part in the TT has bigger balls/boobs/whatever than the vast majority
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:15 PM
MotoGP Legend

I'm half surprised they still have the models at the start line, only a matter of time before some pig ugly butch lesbian takes offence and demands that its stopped because its degrading to women,
Thats the one bad thing about putting the road racing into the main stream, it brings with it all these safety, lesbian, feminists who want to restrict everything , happened formula 1 and the darts
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:56 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5065 from Dublin
296 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: Super Duke/ZRX12
Modifications: Usual stuff

I'm half surprised they still have the models at the start line, only a matter of time before some pig ugly butch lesbian takes offence and demands that its stopped because its degrading to women,
Thats the one bad thing about putting the road racing into the main stream, it brings with it all these safety, lesbian, feminists who want to restrict everything , happened formula 1 and the darts
Probably won't even be called the Isle of Man anymore
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32015
579 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: Honda cbr 600f

Katie Taylor.
World champion.
Olympic gold medalist.
Possibly the most successful professional athlete in Ireland and you'd hardly know it from the coverage.

As a man we all know we're great and can do anything we want. My little fella never has to ask can he become something. He can see already the male role models.
My little girl nearly always asks can women do that too?
And then I've to Google it to find a video on it.

There's a very simple line.

If they can see it they can be it.

Didn't always get it but watching my daughter I can now.
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:10 AM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by strontium_dog
Probably won't even be called the Isle of Man anymore
Can see it now . Isle of lgbtqrswwfwweufcnbbc1bbc2tg4andanyoneelseileftout TT

Have to admit it has a ring to it
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:23 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
830 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Oh you'll know...it'll fucking look like this around the paddock
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:00 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,901 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Mike Duff became Michelle after he/she retired if that counts?
Old 4th November 2018, 10:29 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
830 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Does Rossi count...........
Old 4th November 2018, 11:55 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,901 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by Jack stowage
Does Rossi count...........
Kick a lad when he's down......:

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed