Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Old 7th November 2018, 02:21 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 26158 from Midlands
88 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: 1991 GSXR 750 M
Modifications: Sebring exhaust
Default Re: Interested in a bike.

I bought a naked 2004 sv650 for my first foray into the world of legal motorcycling, needed some work but for 1800 snots was fine ,

18000kms on it which i thought was very reasonable but didnt exactly suit the condition. i found the old v5 documents in the shite the sellerr gave me and got a reg check done. last MOT was 3 years previous and the bike had a recorded 70000miles, i drove the absolute shit out of that thing flat out everywhere went to almost every road race for 2 years commuted to work all summer kept it well serviced never gave a minutes trouble
lads saying the engines are soft must be dealing with neglected yokes

Id have one back in the morning a great bike
Old 7th November 2018, 02:42 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,593 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

Originally Posted by damienga15de
I bought a naked 2004 sv650 for my first foray into the world of legal motorcycling, needed some work but for 1800 snots was fine ,

18000kms on it which i thought was very reasonable but didnt exactly suit the condition. i found the old v5 documents in the shite the sellerr gave me and got a reg check done. last MOT was 3 years previous and the bike had a recorded 70000miles, i drove the absolute shit out of that thing flat out everywhere went to almost every road race for 2 years commuted to work all summer kept it well serviced never gave a minutes trouble
lads saying the engines are soft must be dealing with neglected yokes

Id have one back in the morning a great bike
i think oil starvation is the issue with these afaik, if well serviced could be grand, then again, might have had three engines before you got it !!!

any bike if looked after properly should give good service these days, very few really shit bikes around, hyodungs maybe? (and beemers lol)

@ op, manbearpig gave good advice, buy a cheapish bike here, give it a good service and ride it over the winter and for the next twelve months, use it while you are still learning so if you do drop it then it wont be an expensive fix and wont trouble you as much, at the end of twelve months or so you will sell it again for what you paid for it or use it as a trade in,
if you do buy from a dealer in uk then always mention that you wont be availing of warranty as you are taking it out of the country, youll get a good few bob off the price if you do it right,
whatever you decide to do best of luck with it.

Last edited by allsorts&oddjobs; 7th November 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:31 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38458
49 posts since Jul 2018
Motorbike: Kawasaki ER6F

Originally Posted by Chickenhawk
I just used a company called j and m motorcycle services.

http://www.collectmybike.co.uk/contact.html

270 euros from Norwich to Dublin.

You'll also need to arrange an exchange of euros to sterling. Revoult card, currency fair etc needed or just simple credit card sale but you'll save a bit using the above.

Then you'll need to vrt it here.
https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...tax/index.aspx

Depending on how much your willing to spend you'll save more than on a cheaper purchase obviously but it may not be worth it all.

Best of luck with it.
Steve
Would it be easier to just do a bank transfer to the dealer? Or does it work out cheaper doing it another way?

Ordered my Helmet last week on FCMoto I got an AGV K-5S, should be here in 2 weeks as it wasn't in stock so I have to wait for them to get them in. Also with Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up should I wait to buy the rest of my gear on these days? Does there be good deals on the websites on everything or only selected items?
Old 8th November 2018, 10:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32015
579 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: Honda cbr 600f

Currency fair is a bank to bank transfer but you must set up an account beforehand which can all be done online.
It is cheaper than using a direct bank transfer.

On fc moto I waited a month for a lid that was in stock so be prepared for the wait.

I'd wait for the madness of the black Friday unless you've found something you want now at a good price.

Don't forget there's shops here that might be discounting too. Cotters in Dublin have a good rep. Have no connection with them but you'll get good advice for your first purchase on gear which may be worth more than money in the long run.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:47 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32618 from Co Cork
157 posts since Jan 2014
Motorbike: FJR 1300

Used an app called 'Transferwise' for my last bike. Came highly recommended by my brother in law (who's no fool with money) saved me about 300 compared to a bank transfer and went through quite quickly.
Old 9th November 2018, 07:36 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by WhyTea
Used an app called 'Transferwise' for my last bike. Came highly recommended by my brother in law (who's no fool with money) saved me about 300 compared to a bank transfer and went through quite quickly.
I've downloaded and signed up for this today, may as well use this when it's time. What's you guy's thoughts on buying from a private seller in the UK. I have my eye on one, very good condition, low mileage and a good price. Only problem I'd have is its a private seller and I dont know if I feel comfortable transferring money to a stranger. do I have any backup if I buy private. I know I could send a deposit and when my transport guy gets over there he can check it out to make sure everything is as it seems? Is that the best way to do it?
Old 9th November 2018, 08:15 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,800 posts since Dec 2011

When buying private do not send a deposit. Send your transport guy....And if the bike doesnt check out then pay your transport guy for his time....or if it's sold then search for another....but under no circumstances transfer money to a total stranger before a trusted party checks everything.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:21 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by green grass
When buying private do not send a deposit. Send your transport guy....And if the bike doesnt check out then pay your transport guy for his time....or if it's sold then search for another....but under no circumstances transfer money to a total stranger before a trusted party checks everything.
Gotcha. Any tips on bargaining the private seller to get a better deal seem's I'd have ton transport it back to Ireland and VRT it?
Old 9th November 2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,800 posts since Dec 2011

Originally Posted by Aato
Gotcha. Any tips on bargaining the private seller to get a better deal seem's I'd have ton transport it back to Ireland and VRT it?
Flutter your eye lashes perhaps

Old 9th November 2018, 08:50 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by green grass
Flutter your eye lashes perhaps

Dont think that will work over the phone
Old 9th November 2018, 09:36 PM
Supporter

157 posts since Jan 2014

Only bought one of mine privately. Got plenty of high resolution photos from the seller. Obviously spoke to him about the bike and it's history. Had a list of questions made out before the phone call in case I got sidetracked during the call. Got his address and then looked it up on GoogleStreetView (bit of stalking) to see if the photos he had posted in his listing on eBay were similar. Once I was happy all the pieces were tying up I sent the money with the courier. MOT history can be handy for supporting mileage for instance. I know some lads who have used Fa**bo*k to scout out sellers. In short do as much background checking as you can.
Old 9th November 2018, 10:59 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Only bought one of mine privately. Got plenty of high resolution photos from the seller. Obviously spoke to him about the bike and it's history. Had a list of questions made out before the phone call in case I got sidetracked during the call. Got his address and then looked it up on GoogleStreetView (bit of stalking) to see if the photos he had posted in his listing on eBay were similar. Once I was happy all the pieces were tying up I sent the money with the courier. MOT history can be handy for supporting mileage for instance. I know some lads who have used Fa**bo*k to scout out sellers. In short do as much background checking as you can.
Thanks for the info, I'm calling the seller tomorrow to ask multiple questions and get his reg to do a HPI check. Do HPI check show mileage history or will I ask for pics of his mot history? Also is it best sending cash with the courier or is bank transfer better, biggest question I have is will the bank transfer go through immediately?
Old 10th November 2018, 01:05 AM
Supporter

157 posts since Jan 2014

Can't remember if HPI shows mileage but if you get the reg you can do a free online MOT check on www.gov.uk/check-mot-history. I sent cash with the courier. Not sure how long it would take for a transfer to go through to a private individual. Think it might depend on the amount? Have your questions written out before the call so you don't forget anything. Handy also to make notes on each so you can take it all in later. Some sellers will give you so much info it can be hard to remember. Good luck!
Old 10th November 2018, 10:15 AM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Can't remember if HPI shows mileage but if you get the reg you can do a free online MOT check on www.gov.uk/check-mot-history. I sent cash with the courier. Not sure how long it would take for a transfer to go through to a private individual. Think it might depend on the amount? Have your questions written out before the call so you don't forget anything. Handy also to make notes on each so you can take it all in later. Some sellers will give you so much info it can be hard to remember. Good luck!
Yeah good idea. I did the MOT check and mileage turns out to be genuine so all good and the HPI check all clear. I just need to confirm the VIN number of the bike. Hopefully all goes well, I'll update here later!
Old 10th November 2018, 01:09 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

So rang the guy this morning and had a chat and everything seems genuine. I'll be paying by bank transfer as the transport company doesn't take cash with him. All going well I should have the bike back here sometime next week!
Old 10th November 2018, 11:37 PM
Supporter

157 posts since Jan 2014

Hope all goes well from here on in. By the way, what are you buying?
Old 11th November 2018, 10:38 AM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by WhyTea View Post
Hope all goes well from here on in. By the way, what are you buying?
Kawasaki ER6F in Candy Green!
Old 11th November 2018, 11:18 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,260 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

Originally Posted by Aato View Post
Kawasaki ER6F in Candy Green!
nice
Old 11th November 2018, 12:48 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by Blanka View Post
nice
If all goes well I'll upload some pics of when I get it!
Old 14th November 2018, 02:02 PM
Novice Racer

49 posts since Jul 2018

So bike was collected yesterday evening and here it was with me this morning! Shutout to Thebikebus absolutely brilliant transport service!

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
bike, interested