Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Old 14th August 2018, 10:13 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
554 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F
Default Re: Buying 1st bike or upgrading to new machine?

Originally Posted by horse7
Looking at honda cb300r as a return to biking bike, it's light enough, powerful enough,and position seat height ,feet on ground , comfortable enough compared to other bikes I've looked at. Unfortunately I can't get a second hand one as it's a new model. If I go ahead to buy new in Dublin, which is the best shop to buy from.recommendations please.
There are plenty of other low capacity bikes that would probably suit you. I wouldnt restrict yourself to one particular make and model.
Question is what are you prepared to spend?
What sort of bike are you looking for, or does it matter?

JP motorcycles have a CBR250 that looks reasonably tidy
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...ycles/19538211

another here
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...r-250/19221536
Old 14th August 2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
2,860 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly

Originally Posted by efanton
There are plenty of other low capacity bikes that would probably suit you. I wouldnt restrict yourself to one particular make and model.
Question is what are you prepared to spend?
What sort of bike are you looking for, or does it matter?

JP motorcycles have a CBR250 that looks reasonably tidy
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...ycles/19538211

another here
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...r-250/19221536
And i can vouch 100% for jp motercycles ,
Old 31st October 2018, 10:26 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 38643 from Kells
2 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Nothing yet :(

Hey guys,
Been thinking about getting a motorbike for a few years now. Finally decided to go for it. Got an A permit, but I've never been on a motorbike so want to start slow and small. I'm 27, average build and height. There's also the unlikely possibility I may not like it. I won't know 100% until I actually give it a go!

I have a fair amount of driving experience in a car, good 7-8 years.

I'm fairly limited by budget, got maybe 1-1.5k for the bike alone and need something cheap to insure as well.

1. How old should I go? A few 125 & 250 bikes around 2005 in my budget. Is it a bad idea to buy such an old bike? At what point do they loose value and actually become hard to sell in order to upgrade? And what about parts availability etc?

2. What mileage is considered high for a bike? (eg. 43k km 2010 GN 125)

3. The GN 125 and CBR 125 seem the most common in my budget range, but ideally I was looking to start with a 250, just because I would use it to commute about 15km and need it to do 80kph without screaming at me and dying in a few weeks time.
Any recommendations or would the 2 above be fine? Can't really find anything 250cc that doesn't have any issues listed under 1.5k though.

I'm not concerned about looks at this point. Just trying to get used to riding a motorbike, build up NCB and gradually move up, eventually do my full licence test in a couple years time or so.
Old 1st November 2018, 02:40 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37068 from Dublin
227 posts since Mar 2017
Motorbike: YaMama R6
Modifications: Exhaust, Tail tidy...

Originally Posted by xNuke
Hey guys,
Been thinking about getting a motorbike for a few years now. Finally decided to go for it. Got an A permit, but I've never been on a motorbike so want to start slow and small. I'm 27, average build and height. There's also the unlikely possibility I may not like it. I won't know 100% until I actually give it a go!

I have a fair amount of driving experience in a car, good 7-8 years.

I'm fairly limited by budget, got maybe 1-1.5k for the bike alone and need something cheap to insure as well.

1. How old should I go? A few 125 & 250 bikes around 2005 in my budget. Is it a bad idea to buy such an old bike? At what point do they loose value and actually become hard to sell in order to upgrade? And what about parts availability etc?

2. What mileage is considered high for a bike? (eg. 43k km 2010 GN 125)

3. The GN 125 and CBR 125 seem the most common in my budget range, but ideally I was looking to start with a 250, just because I would use it to commute about 15km and need it to do 80kph without screaming at me and dying in a few weeks time.
Any recommendations or would the 2 above be fine? Can't really find anything 250cc that doesn't have any issues listed under 1.5k though.

I'm not concerned about looks at this point. Just trying to get used to riding a motorbike, build up NCB and gradually move up, eventually do my full licence test in a couple years time or so.
You will love it. No doubt.

I'm 34, only got into them about 2 years ago. Went straight for a 600 just because if you do the test on anything less you won't get a A licence, so you're as well off doing that. 600 is a lovely balance of power to weight. I don't really have any advice on the other stuff. But I'd say do your BT and see how you feel then.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
1st, bike, buying, machine, upgrading