Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 6th December 2018, 06:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4231
2,669 posts since Dec 2006
Default Ducati Panigale Owner Experience?

Hey everyone,

Currently looking at a 1199 for my next road bike. Im wondering if anyone can give me their experience of owning one long term? Good and the bad etc. Im aware of all the heat issues and not so comfy seat but they are non issues to me.

Any help appreciated!

Also was looking at this bike on donedeal, does anyone here know it or anything about it?

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-f...-1199/20034931

Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 07:10 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37129
147 posts since Apr 2017
Default Re: Ducati Panigale Owner Experience?

Get yourself over to ducatiforum.co.uk not many Ducati owners here Id imagine
Old 9th December 2018, 06:26 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35672
514 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Ducati 899 Panigale

I have the 899. Not sure on the major difference between it and the bigger ones if it's just engine. They run hot and are seriously loud when standing still because of the way the exhaust faces down.

The throttle is jerky but you can get a kit to fit spacers in to fix it. I love it will be buying another one to replace it when the time comes.
Old 9th December 2018, 07:19 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8741 from Cill mhaintain
10,767 posts since Mar 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: sp1, crf rally ,z50monkey
Modifications: Yes but no faster

Big plus for that bike on DoneDeal is the pipe expensive piece of kit
Old 9th December 2018, 09:19 PM
WSB Contender

514 posts since Jan 2016

I should add I service it myself, I have had one issue with a map sensor going. I brought it to Ducati Dublin and got them to scan it for 30 quid tell me what was wrong and I replaced it for 100 quid, they wanted around 400.

If you aren't going to service it yourself then your gonna need a large wallet. If you are, they need to be scanned if there's any issues and the only place in the country that has the kit to do that is Ducati Dublin, none of the independents have the kit to do it for bike newer than 2012, in saying that they did it for 30 quid so can't complain , decent skins

I commute on it every day but wouldn't be doing big mileage on it
Old 9th December 2018, 11:01 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
2,057 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 21st of ballast!!!

That DoneDeal ad says the bike has Ohlins........it doesn't.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:33 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,263 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans

I've had one since 2015 - a base non ABS model. I'm a big fan as I find it a lot more involving at road speeds than any of the newer, faster bikes. The stock fuelling is woeful, comedy bad but that one has been into Mototuning and I was actually speaking to Gary about it and he said it's running much smoother now than the typical 2 stroke delivery they come with. It also has Ohlins nix 30mm internals so that bit is true.
The only thing to note about that one is the mileage. At 24000km you are due a valve check and nobody outside of Rosso Ducati or Millsport will be able to do it. You need a couple of special Ducati tools for the timing and they run in the region of 600 quid to buy. So set aside around 1500 quid for that one as it's a whole bike apart job due to the engine being the main frame.

Things to look out for that are common?

MAP sensors - if one fails it will basically run on one cylinder until about 7000rpm. I replaced the pair of mine myself.

Misting dash - random and mostly in spring/winter!

The clutch may need regular bleeding - this is a Ducati special and happens on a lot of the bikes with the Brembo clutch master. It takes about 2 minutes to sort.

Leaks - like all twins they can spring an aul leak. The most common one is from the rocker covers. I ended up taking off mine and lobbing extra sealant on to stop it.

Other than that they are fairly solid. I'm gonna use Millsport when I hit the 24000km this year, and will replace the water pump cogs (plastic and the odd one seems to wear) with a race set that Moto Rapido provide. In terms of actual issues the only one I've had outside of the leak and clutch needing bleeding was the map sensor. I do all the servcing myself and you can download free software called jPDiag that allows you to identify the codes yourself (and reset the service indicator).

The stock seat is fucking horrific - buy the Ducati Performance Comfort seat and a set of grippy pegs and it transforms the bike. It's actually very comfortable as far as sportsbikes go. There's loads of room even though it's tiny and not much weight on your wrists (with the comfort seat).

As for what it's like - tiny, really easy to throw around, excellent brakes, decent power and really fun when you are giving it beans. Not the fastest or easiest yoke to use, but I find it much more interesting than stuff that just goes nuclear speed without any sort of involvement. Depends what you want really! If you want to go as fast as humanly possible while almost asleep - grab the BMW
Old 10th December 2018, 11:10 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 6063 from Dublin
398 posts since Jul 2007
Motorbike: Foxeye Fazer, Diavel
Modifications: back box & crash cage

Originally Posted by batman_oh View Post
Not the fastest or easiest yoke to use, but I find it much more interesting than stuff that just goes nuclear speed without any sort of involvement.
This! That's it in a nutshell. My '99 R1 felt much more powerful, but the Panigale was a great riding experience, you are involved the whole time and it's unforgiving! Fun fun fun bike, a real rider's machine.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:33 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
378 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

I've had one since 2015 - a base non ABS model. I'm a big fan as I find it a lot more involving at road speeds than any of the newer, faster bikes. The stock fuelling is woeful, comedy bad but that one has been into Mototuning and I was actually speaking to Gary about it and he said it's running much smoother now than the typical 2 stroke delivery they come with. It also has Ohlins nix 30mm internals so that bit is true.
The only thing to note about that one is the mileage. At 24000km you are due a valve check and nobody outside of Rosso Ducati or Millsport will be able to do it. You need a couple of special Ducati tools for the timing and they run in the region of 600 quid to buy. So set aside around 1500 quid for that one as it's a whole bike apart job due to the engine being the main frame.

MAP sensors - if one fails it will basically run on one cylinder until about 7000rpm. I replaced the pair of mine myself.

The clutch may need regular bleeding - this is a Ducati special and happens on a lot of the bikes with the Brembo clutch master. It takes about 2 minutes to sort.

Leaks - like all twins they can spring an aul leak. The most common one is from the rocker covers. I ended up taking off mine and lobbing extra sealant on to stop it.

Other than that they are fairly solid. I'm gonna use Millsport when I hit the 24000km this year, and will replace the water pump cogs (plastic and the odd one seems to wear) with a race set that Moto Rapido provide. In terms of actual issues the only one I've had outside of the leak and clutch needing bleeding was the map sensor. I do all the servcing myself and you can download free software called jPDiag that allows you to identify the codes yourself (and reset the service indicator).

The stock seat is fucking horrific - buy the Ducati Performance Comfort seat and a set of grippy pegs and it transforms the bike. It's actually very comfortable as far as sportsbikes go. There's loads of room even though it's tiny and not much weight on your wrists (with the comfort seat).

As for what it's like - tiny, really easy to throw around, excellent brakes, decent power and really fun when you are giving it beans. Not the fastest or easiest yoke to use, but I find it much more interesting than stuff that just goes nuclear speed without any sort of involvement. Depends what you want really! If you want to go as fast as humanly possible while almost asleep - grab the BMW
Can Motechnic not do the valve check on them?
Old 10th December 2018, 11:52 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138

Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Can Motechnic not do the valve check on them?
I asked a couple of years back and he didn't want anything to do with the Panigale as he had none of the service stuff or diagnostics. Totally different to the old belt engines. Not sure if he's changed since but I'll be going to Millsport as they've done a lot of them and raced them for a couple of years too
Old 10th December 2018, 02:38 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,052 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Hold off on that new V4 ( theres a recall for brakes and oil pissing over the back wheel )
Old 10th December 2018, 04:01 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138

Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Hold off on that new V4 ( theres a recall for brakes and oil pissing over the back wheel )
Saw the oil cooler thing actually happening. A couple of owners were almost killed as the weld on the pipe actually cracked and lobbed oil everywhere. They had to recall it as it was clearly something that was going to cause a serious accident. The latest version has a massive brace on the pipe!
Old 10th December 2018, 04:16 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,052 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Poor dumb bastards, They'd rather be alive than free, I guess.
( Private Eightball on boring S1000rr riders )
Old 10th December 2018, 06:25 PM
. . . . . .

Biker.ie Member No. 3765 from Dublin
1,639 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: ZX6R

One of the v4 recalls:

"Fuel may spray out of the gas tank when the tank cap is opened".

Ffs, I'd be making sure that has been done before I picked one up second hand.
Old 10th December 2018, 06:44 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 4231

Some excellent info here thanks very much. Have had previous ducati ownership experience and had small niggles with it but the driving experience made up for it. I have a lot of experience working on engines and bikes from my racing days so not worried about doing any work myself. The diagnostics would be the major issue for me as Im in Cork and having to drive to dublin to plug it in to see what's wrong would be a pain in the ass.

Old 10th December 2018, 06:45 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4231

Looks like the map sensor is a regular problem then.

Originally Posted by goose81 View Post
I should add I service it myself, I have had one issue with a map sensor going. I brought it to Ducati Dublin and got them to scan it for 30 quid tell me what was wrong and I replaced it for 100 quid, they wanted around 400.

If you aren't going to service it yourself then your gonna need a large wallet. If you are, they need to be scanned if there's any issues and the only place in the country that has the kit to do that is Ducati Dublin, none of the independents have the kit to do it for bike newer than 2012, in saying that they did it for 30 quid so can't complain , decent skins

I commute on it every day but wouldn't be doing big mileage on it
Old 10th December 2018, 06:46 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4231

I have been calling the number and texting multiple times but seems like the numbers either not working or phone is just turned off.

Ill keep looking
Old 10th December 2018, 08:40 PM
WSB Contender

514 posts since Jan 2016

Originally Posted by tocr View Post
Looks like the map sensor is a regular problem then.
Yeah looks like it, it's only a 90 quid part tbf just effort. It actually runs ok when the engine light comes on being it uses the sensor from the other cylinder and mirrors it, I drove on it for 2 weeks while the part came in

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
ducati, experience, owner, panigale