Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Other > Buying and Selling

Old 31st December 2006, 10:52 AM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 3738 from Co Antrim....up North..
1,742 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: Aprilia RSV Mille R
Modifications: I'M A ROCKER.....!!!
Exclamation Email bike sales scam

Email bike sales scam

Private bike sellers are being targeted by email scammers offering a cheque for double the value of the bike and asking for the change to be refunded before the bike is collected.
Trading Standards warned that where similar offers have been accepted, the first cheque has turned out to be bogus but sellers have not realised until too late.
The first cheque clears into the seller’s account long enough for the balance to be refunded as requested, then bounces, leaving the sellers thousands of pounds out of pocket while no-one ever comes to collect the bike.
Jane Day, senior advisor and education officer for Peterborough Trading Standards, said: “I haven’t of this before with motorbikes but I have with cars.”

She added: “There’s absolutely no reason why anything should be sold on this basis.”
Reader George West received one of the emails, written in broken English, last week. West, 36, from Scarborough, said: “This should be highlighted to other readers as genuine people may be ripped off.”
Old 31st December 2006, 11:16 AM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,695 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

I recieved loads of emails from prople offering bankdrafts but I was aware of the scam so I told them to fuck off a friend of mine works in the bank and the amount of people who get caught this way is unreal .
in the paper a few months ago some fellow got his own back by replying that he needs some proofe that the buyer was serious buy getting the scammers to send pictures of themselves holding signs like "I cant believe it's not butter" ect
The actuall lengths these scammers went to was unreal and the pictures were published in the paper, death threaths followed after.
Old 31st December 2006, 11:16 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2946 from costa del Ireland
2,560 posts since Mar 2006
Motorbike: Ducati Streetfighter S
Modifications: Akra cannons

dont even trust a bank draft as i was given one a couple of years ago which turned out to be fake. the really annoying thing was it took the bank 2 weeks to declare it a forgery, not only did they take the money back out of my account but charged me a fee for the privilege.....b**tards!!
Old 31st December 2006, 11:21 AM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,695 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by jafo
dont even trust a bank draft as i was given one a couple of years ago which turned out to be fake. the really annoying thing was it took the bank 2 weeks to declare it a forgery, not only did they take the money back out of my account but charged me a fee for the privilege.....b**tards!!
for somereason the bank will acknowelege the accountee's draft as the only way it can be proven fake is when It reaches the actually issuing banks and by then the money is taken form the accountee.
I dont understand why the draft cant be confirmed with a phonecall.
Old 31st December 2006, 12:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3989
2,170 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 L1
Modifications: Tax

If your stupid enough to fall for this then you deserve your money to be robbed.I've got E mails and phone calls about this kind of shit.Just tell em to F**k off and die end off
Old 31st December 2006, 12:27 PM
Solitary Confinement
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by blk150
If your stupid enough to fall for this then you deserve your money to be robbed.I've got E mails and phone calls about this kind of shit.Just tell em to F**k off and die end off
you should be a diplomat....
Old 31st December 2006, 03:37 PM
Buswald Inmate

Biker.ie Member No. 1838 from Buswalds
9,996 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: PC35
Modifications: Rattled-canned

He could work for the northern assembly...
Old 31st December 2006, 03:41 PM
Solitary Confinement
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by Technician
He could work for the northern assembly...
do you not think we've got enough assholes in it.....??
Old 31st December 2006, 03:43 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 3678 from Dublin
6,253 posts since Jun 2006
Motorbike: Kawasaki zx6r.
Modifications: r+g tail tidy,skidmarx c/f rear hugger, double bubble dark screen.ermax seat cowl,scorpion can

Originally Posted by blk150
i like your style.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Other > Buying and Selling

Tags
bike, email, sales, scam