Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Reply
 
  #1  
Old 26th July 2018, 02:24 PM
fpleme fpleme is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35790 from Co. Meath
2 posts since Feb 2016
Motorbike: suzuki gsf 600 V (1997)
Default '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Hi lads, I want some advice:

I'm restoring a 97 bandit 6 and the engine is burning a lot of oil (about 600ml for every 1000km) so I was thinking about swapping the engine to a newer b6 engine.

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Bandit_series) apparently the same engine fitted the B6 until 2004, but I'm not sure.

So I was thinking about buying a 2004 engine and just block the PAIR holes.Will the 2004 engine fit on the 97 frame? Will I need to do any other adaptations beside blocking the PAIR holes?

Another side question: Is there any place that does frame straightening?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26th July 2018, 04:17 PM
acdc acdc is offline
ACDC
 
Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,855 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

there is a lad called sharpbikes on here, he would defo be able to answer that question for you

Last edited by acdc; 26th July 2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: on here
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26th July 2018, 05:30 PM
myfirstyamaha's Avatar
myfirstyamaha myfirstyamaha is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30120 from Clondalkin, Dublin
2,102 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: Naked trophy 900
Modifications: an ash-tray..
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Bin the b6 engine altogether and get an early gixxer engine they slot straight in
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26th July 2018, 06:07 PM
Vjmc.Cork's Avatar
Vjmc.Cork Vjmc.Cork is online now
Biker.ie old-skool
 
Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,812 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

You've a bike with a fucked engine and a bent frame?
Does the term "Throwing good money after bad"come to mind?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26th July 2018, 06:12 PM
Gixxer's Avatar
Gixxer Gixxer is online now
Resident gynaecologist
 
Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,779 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by myfirstyamaha
Bin the b6 engine altogether and get an early gixxer engine they slot straight in
If only...
There's a fair bit more to it than just slotting it straight in.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26th July 2018, 06:14 PM
Gixxer's Avatar
Gixxer Gixxer is online now
Resident gynaecologist
 
Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,779 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by Vjmc.Cork
You've a bike with a fucked engine and a bent frame?
Does the term "Throwing good money after bad"come to mind?
Basically what he has is worth about the same price as a tin of Aldi beans.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26th July 2018, 06:45 PM
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is online now
spanner spinner
 
Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,703 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by Gixxer
If only...
There's a fair bit more to it than just slotting it straight in.
yup .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26th July 2018, 07:01 PM
sharpbikes's Avatar
sharpbikes sharpbikes is offline
bike broke
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,089 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Blade, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

newer b6 comes with pair valves above the exhaust ports (to remove just cut and fill the pipes or make blanking plates), other than this its pretty much the same engine. carbs are different as the 00-04 (mk2) bandits had a tps added and carb heaters also, this requires some loom changes or a loom swap but if you just want the engine thats easily done.

on the gsxr side you can fit a gsxr 750 86-91 motor once its oil cooled, same size motor and same mounts so fits fine. doesnt require a change of loom but the 750 ecu would work better and would require a 750 loom as ecu pins are different to bandit pins. also would need gsxr carbs or you could try bandit 1200 carbs as theyre easier to get ahold of and are more town riding friendly. also airbox may not fit the new carbs.

you may also fit a bandit 1200 or gsxr1100 engine, the b12 engine would require sleeves on the rear mounts due to different width mount bolt and the engine would need to be removed/dropped from the frame to do any valve clearances or top end servicing. but in essence the gsxr1100 and b12 engines will fit and will require different carbs and loom. same issue again with the airbox and pods would most likely be the easiest solution but they can require a bit of fiddling with fueling.

having written my mk2 bandit off after alot of tweaking and modifying i found that frame straightening on such a bike isnt feasible. if the steel frame got enough of a whack to bend id say replace it, if you need any mk1 parts give me a shout as i have one in bits in the shed (was gonna be my next project) and i may aswell break it at this point.

Last edited by sharpbikes; 26th July 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26th July 2018, 07:05 PM
chopper's Avatar
chopper chopper is online now
spanner spinner
 
Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,703 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Bare in mind clearances are due every 3750 miles or so on a bandit lump so ya dont want to be dropping the engine to do them
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26th July 2018, 07:17 PM
sharpbikes's Avatar
sharpbikes sharpbikes is offline
bike broke
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,089 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Blade, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by chopper
Bare in mind clearances are due every 3750 miles or so on a bandit lump so ya dont want to be dropping the engine to do them
wouldnt want to drop the lump based on the weight alone
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26th July 2018, 09:51 PM
myfirstyamaha's Avatar
myfirstyamaha myfirstyamaha is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30120 from Clondalkin, Dublin
2,102 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: Naked trophy 900
Modifications: an ash-tray..
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by sharpbikes
newer b6 comes with pair valves above the exhaust ports (to remove just cut and fill the pipes or make blanking plates), other than this its pretty much the same engine. carbs are different as the 00-04 (mk2) bandits had a tps added and carb heaters also, this requires some loom changes or a loom swap but if you just want the engine thats easily done.

on the gsxr side you can fit a gsxr 750 86-91 motor once its oil cooled, same size motor and same mounts so fits fine. doesnt require a change of loom but the 750 ecu would work better and would require a 750 loom as ecu pins are different to bandit pins. also would need gsxr carbs or you could try bandit 1200 carbs as theyre easier to get ahold of and are more town riding friendly. also airbox may not fit the new carbs.

you may also fit a bandit 1200 or gsxr1100 engine, the b12 engine would require sleeves on the rear mounts due to different width mount bolt and the engine would need to be removed/dropped from the frame to do any valve clearances or top end servicing. but in essence the gsxr1100 and b12 engines will fit and will require different carbs and loom. same issue again with the airbox and pods would most likely be the easiest solution but they can require a bit of fiddling with fueling.

having written my mk2 bandit off after alot of tweaking and modifying i found that frame straightening on such a bike isnt feasible. if the steel frame got enough of a whack to bend id say replace it, if you need any mk1 parts give me a shout as i have one in bits in the shed (was gonna be my next project) and i may aswell break it at this point.
have you got the speedo gear drive off the front wheel?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26th July 2018, 09:53 PM
myfirstyamaha's Avatar
myfirstyamaha myfirstyamaha is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30120 from Clondalkin, Dublin
2,102 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: Naked trophy 900
Modifications: an ash-tray..
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by chopper
Bare in mind clearances are due every 3750 miles or so on a bandit lump so ya dont want to be dropping the engine to do them
Really??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26th July 2018, 10:15 PM
DavyH DavyH is online now
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,226 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by myfirstyamaha
Really??
Yeah, on the early b6 it is that regular
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26th July 2018, 10:27 PM
sharpbikes's Avatar
sharpbikes sharpbikes is offline
bike broke
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,089 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Blade, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by myfirstyamaha
have you got the speedo gear drive off the front wheel?
i do yep, piece of piss to adjust valves on them anyway so shouldnt be hardship to sort it every 3.75k m
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26th July 2018, 10:31 PM
myfirstyamaha's Avatar
myfirstyamaha myfirstyamaha is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30120 from Clondalkin, Dublin
2,102 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: Naked trophy 900
Modifications: an ash-tray..
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Originally Posted by sharpbikes
i do yep, piece of piss to adjust valves on them anyway so shouldnt be hardship to sort it every 3.75k m
What sort of monies is on the speedo drive ?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27th July 2018, 01:17 AM
fpleme fpleme is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 35790 from Co. Meath
2 posts since Feb 2016
Motorbike: suzuki gsf 600 V (1997)
Default Re: '97 Bandit 6 engine swap

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate.
I'm going for a b6 engine, since it seems the easiest option.
Where's a good place to buy them? I saw some at ebay.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
bandit, engine, swap


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale : Suzuki GSF 1200 Bandit N 1998 Taxed till August 18 acdc Buying and Selling 3 5th December 2017 10:37 PM
**Read this before posting** - Guidelines for Buying and Selling section Admin Buying and Selling 10 20th August 2013 08:18 PM
Yamaha 125 engine preview... (anorak) corserrep The Workshop 6 15th December 2006 10:35 AM
BMW K1200S Engine Explosion ! RubaDub General Bike Chat 56 30th March 2006 08:36 PM
BMW F650 Engine Swap chopper The Workshop 5 16th September 2005 02:11 PM


Support Biker.ie


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed