Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 12th June 2018, 01:51 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37605
55 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: 2002 Bandit 600
Default What should I be doing?

So I bought a 2002 Bandit 600 from JP Cycles last September. All going well. I've put about 3k miles on it since.

I'm totally new to bikes and mechanics are not a strong point. So my question is: what should I be doing?

I'm cleaning and waxing the chain every 200 miles or so. (WD40 chain waz but it is very messy, thinking of swotching to something else)

The engine oil has only gone down a fraction since I got the bike and is practically on the full line. So I've not done more with it.

So is there anythign I am missing? And when should I be thinking about oil & filter change?

thanks lads.
Old 12th June 2018, 01:58 PM
<< Staring arncha ?

Biker.ie Member No. 22040 from Texas
5,309 posts since May 2010
Default Re: What should I be doing?

I presume your checking the chain tension when your cleaning it, if not do & adjust it if needed. Check your tyre pressures and thread depth from time to time also. As for oil and filter I'd change it after doing 3k on it. Brake pads may need to be checked for wear too.
Old 12th June 2018, 02:01 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

55 posts since Aug 2017

yeah I'm keeping an eye on tyre pressure (33/36) but probably not as often as I should.

(and yes, I'm staring)

You reckon 3k is the right point for oil & filter? Thought it might be a bit longer - but the bike gets what she needs
Old 12th June 2018, 02:12 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25910
518 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: CBR900RRW

I usually assume every service point has been neglected on a bike unless I know different.

Get a service manual and see what it says should be done at the major milestones and consider it.

Change the oil filter if you're not sure when it was ever done before.

Check the colour of the brake fluid, condition of the brake lines, coolant colour/level, condition of the pads and callipers, air filter.
Old 12th June 2018, 02:13 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37502 from Balbriggan
56 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Kwack en400; Suzuki gz125
Modifications: Custom rustwork on pipes

As Chucky mentioned, clean the chain before applying the wax. Allow wax to dry before riding, few hours ideally. Removing the front sprocket cover might surprise you, usually plenty of muck piles up there. Tighten the chain if needed. Tyre pressure should be watched and check all your lights when you can. All of them. All of these are well explained on youtube in thousands of vids.
Once you grow more comfortable with the machine you can start looking into adjusting brakes/clutch/throttle.
Do your best to keep her clean, all around. And avoid power washing. I learned these 2 the hard way
Old 12th June 2018, 02:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,706 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

Check tyre pressures when cold, and don't rely on the gauges on the air pumps in the garage to check pressure with - get yourself the pen type gauge and use that instead
Old 12th June 2018, 02:30 PM
Tanked Up

Biker.ie Member No. 1963 from the internet
2,676 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: Scooty Puff Junior

Get yourself a Haynes Manual for your bike and follow that.

Or download workshop manual from internet
Old 12th June 2018, 02:49 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

55 posts since Aug 2017

lots of good stuff here. a new one one me: brake fluid colour? what should it be or not be?
Old 12th June 2018, 03:10 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
2,740 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly

Check the clutch cable or carry a spare 1 under the seat
Small tool kit also,tyre plug kit also.
Break fluid level also
Old 12th June 2018, 03:33 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,625 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

valve clearance is almost due since you bought it
Old 12th June 2018, 03:33 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,418 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

Originally Posted by bandit_eile

I'm totally new to bikes and mechanics are not a strong point.
Don't take anything on unless you are confident & comfortable you know what you are doing!!
""Mechanics; not a strong point""..... Nothing wrong saying that, lots of learning and everyone starts somewhere. Stay in your comfort zone with stuff you can easily tackle, leave the tricky work for someone with experience or someone that can show you with hands on experience.........

gd luck...
Old 12th June 2018, 04:02 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 34990 from Wicklow
386 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: 2006 ZX10R

Originally Posted by HIGHSIDER
Don't take anything on unless you are confident & comfortable you know what you are doing!!
""Mechanics; not a strong point""..... Nothing wrong saying that, lots of learning and everyone starts somewhere. Stay in your comfort zone with stuff you can easily tackle, leave the tricky work for someone with experience or someone that can show you with hands on experience.........

gd luck...
Was going to say the same. Loads of lads have no interest and/or no business touching a set of wrenches. Nothing wrong with that.

Find the service manual for your bike. Suzuki has an official one that you should be able to find online for free with a bit of searching. Every service manual I've ever seen has a section called "Periodic Maintenance." The one for your bike is linked below. Shows you exactly what needs to be done, and when. Even if you're going to bring it to the mechanic for everything it needs, it's good to have an idea of what those things are instead of just dropping in once a year and taking their word for it.

If you're interested in learning, there is also a section that describes in detail how to tackle each job. That being said, make sure you're comfortable with what you're doing. Nothing wrong with taking it to a professional.

If you're not interested, I would say cleaning your chain is really the bare minimum.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th June 2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
2,740 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly

There is a fb page with a place
Too learn the basics under the guidance
Of more experienced people there lad.
And it's totally free too use and near enough
Too you also
Old 12th June 2018, 05:54 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,484 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Jp Motorcycles I have only had good experience with even if it was many years ago and only heard good things about them if that means anything to you.
I would also recommend getting the Haynes manual and buy a full service kit and get stuck in, it's not difficult and I'm sure one or two people from here will be near enough you to pop over and help for an hour or two.
Obviously leave valves to a shop at this stage if you think they need done
Old 13th June 2018, 09:41 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,248 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

Originally Posted by bandit_eile
yeah I'm keeping an eye on tyre pressure (33/36)
That seems a bit low for front and rear pressures, most tyres are 36 front 42 rear, where did you get the above numbers?
Old 13th June 2018, 09:45 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
2,550 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Honda NTV 650
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

ww.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/league-of-gentlemen-characters-2017-now-2058342
Old 13th June 2018, 03:50 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35717 from Cork
137 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Husaberg FE550, GSR 600

For chain cleaning, buy 5 litres of kerosene from the pump for €3.50 and spray on with a little misting spray bottle. It'll last you years. That rattle can chain clean stuff is €8 for 500ml and it lasts 3 cleans.
Old 15th June 2018, 11:13 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36956
198 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: Honda cbr1000rr
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by bandit_eile View Post
So I bought a 2002 Bandit 600 from JP Cycles last September. All going well. I've put about 3k miles on it since.

I'm totally new to bikes and mechanics are not a strong point. So my question is: what should I be doing?

I'm cleaning and waxing the chain every 200 miles or so. (WD40 chain waz but it is very messy, thinking of swotching to something else)

The engine oil has only gone down a fraction since I got the bike and is practically on the full line. So I've not done more with it.

So is there anythign I am missing? And when should I be thinking about oil & filter change?

thanks lads.

Hi There

Regarding your oil and being practically on the full line, thats all it should be on at all times, if its over that its over full.

If you are not thrashing the bike i wouldn't ( personally) be changing every 3 thousand miles. dependant on use, once a year for good order , or maybe every 5k if you are not trashing it.

You are taking care of your chain fine, if it needs adjusting adjust, if you don't know what it should be adjusted to, ask someone to show you ( someone that knows what they are doing)

If you don't know what you are doing, then get a mechanic or someone 100% competent to do any works needed.

It is a motorbike , it can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

I recently bought a bike and , whilst i don't " blame " previous owner it had a few issues i discovered, one could have killed me, the other could have blown the engine.

Enjoy your bike, if you need help, ask someone competent and learn.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed