Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Jack Kennedy takes BSB title    
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th June 2018, 06:47 PM
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks's Avatar
Christopher Livingstone Eubanks Christopher Livingstone Eubanks is online now
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37927
282 posts since Jan 2018
Motorbike: sv1000s, gsxr 1000
Default Re: eToll for bikes?

Originally Posted by proinnsias
I'll bite (just for the sake of it): Why ?

Why should we get special treatment at tolls etc?

Ultimately, it's an honest question - what's so special about motorbikes compared to any other mode of personal transport that should exempt us from tolls?

(It's the first question I get asked when I approach toll operators with a MAG hat on - so let's see what responses we get on here !)
P
Bikes don't fuck up the road.
Old 8th June 2018, 07:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10000 from Drogheda
2,122 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: F800GT

Ultimately, it's an honest question - what's so special about motorbikes compared to any other mode of personal transport that should exempt us from tolls?

(It's the first question I get asked when I approach toll operators with a MAG hat on - so let's see what responses we get on here !)
P
Overall environmental cost of producing, running, maintainnig and eventually disposing a motorbike might be lower than that of a cage that's designed to transport a family (this is just guesswork now, I've no scientific evidence to back it up).

Mental health benefits to the riders for riding motorbikes should not be ignored either (I think there has been some studies in this area).

But the primary argument in my mind is that the that bikes help reduce congestion on our roads - which is extremely important issue to almost all urban areas of Ireland - everyone benefits from us riding bikes. And from a toll-operators point of view, the more vehicles thru the toll equals more profit. I would imagine M50 toll owners would prefer traffic flowing smoothly than crawling (which is the case every day peak hours) purely from income point of view.

Also it's harder to collect toll from motorbikes, harder to track number plates on M50 style camera based systems, which I think all tolls should be / will be eventually (I mean, what's the sense in stopping in the middle of a 100/120 kmph road just to pay the toll, and then to accelerate away again).

Just a few thoughts.. I am sure there are more!
Old 8th June 2018, 07:49 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
932 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

Was dreading the M3 on the chop as she wouldn't idle... trying to kick a hot shovel at the booth would have been entertaining. But the sound lass in the window said she had enough extra and let me go on.

Bit of planning and it's not that bad. I like the euro in the tank filler flap. I used to stash the coins down the back of the gap in my gloves and just shake them out at the window.
Old 9th June 2018, 12:22 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Biker.ie Member No. 2993 from Carrigaline, PRoC
3,979 posts since Apr 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Zx14 Ninja
Modifications: Lobotomy

Forgot to put out any change In leathers when heading up to Dublin the other morning . Remembered as I approached the toll at Watergrasshill. I offerered card , he refused to accept and started filling out a form . I said wouldn’t it be easier just to let me go for the sake of a euro and the line of cars building behind me ...He shut the window on me and continued filling in the form . I dug through all the pockets and eventually found a 2 Euro coin . Tapped on the glass and he accepted it with a grunt and virtually threw the change at me ....

I think it’s time for a protest . 100 plus bikes all turning up at once , taking all lanes and convienently ‘forgetting ‘ change ......
Old 9th June 2018, 01:22 AM
Make the capital S lowercase or whatever works Make the capital S lowercase or whatever works is offline
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36947 from Dublin
37 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: CBR1000rr / Agusta F4RR
Modifications: plenty

I used to have to use the tunnel a lot and I actually made a profit going through, always stick your hand into the return tray, one time I managed to get close to 20 Euro! A lot of the time it will be maybe 50 cent but feck it. I’d stick the money under the flap if needed but most of the time there was a sufficient amount in change that I’d just throw back in
Old 9th June 2018, 01:59 AM
I like Bikes I do

Biker.ie Member No. 21686 from Sydney
2,892 posts since Apr 2010
Motorbike: Yamasaki Ninjablade
Modifications: Air con and a sunroof....

At least it cheaper for bikes there, same price as cages in Sydney, expensive fuckers are every where too, no booths though, cages use tags and bikes are charged by an account linked to your reg.
Old 9th June 2018, 09:00 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 7763 from DUBLIN 13
631 posts since Jan 2008
Motorbike: 918 Honda fireblade
Modifications: see what happens

Just use the far left lane the one coaches and other large motors use gap is wider than your bars
Old 12th June 2018, 10:21 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 37968 from Cork
60 posts since Feb 2018
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR

Whoa that's a lot of feedback. Thanks guys. To sum it up, Ireland toll system sucks for motorcycle users. Yay!
I think I'm just gonna avoid toll roads as much as possible anyways, and stash enough coins in my trousers pockets. I was dreaming of only needing one tag between car and bike, but that seems like it's too naive to hope for
Old 12th June 2018, 10:22 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
2,579 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Honda NTV 650
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Its not gonna happen
Old 12th June 2018, 10:54 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9671 from Dublin
478 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: BMW Suzuki Kawa Yam Adler
Post Re: eToll for bikes?

Originally Posted by fast3r
Whoa that's a lot of feedback. Thanks guys. To sum it up, Ireland toll system sucks for motorcycle users. Yay!
I think I'm just gonna avoid toll roads as much as possible anyways, and stash enough coins in my trousers pockets. I was dreaming of only needing one tag between car and bike, but that seems like it's too naive to hope for
You could use the cage tag on bike but you'll pay cage rates - I did that in early days before they had bike specific tags to save queuing and the wet day thing- used mine on bike today up and down to Limerick - also bike tag is nil charge on M50 but if you use cage tag.......!
Old 12th June 2018, 11:01 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 37968 from Cork
60 posts since Feb 2018
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR

Erm, sorry, what's a cage tag?? Been Googling it but all I get is solutions for small animals
Old 13th June 2018, 04:30 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9671 from Dublin
478 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: BMW Suzuki Kawa Yam Adler
Smile Re: eToll for bikes?

Originally Posted by fast3r
Erm, sorry, what's a cage tag?? Been Googling it but all I get is solutions for small animals
Old 13th June 2018, 05:53 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35801 from Dublin 1
14 posts since Feb 2016
Motorbike: KTM 1290 Superduke R
Modifications: Evo Ti exhaust system

Originally Posted by Make the capital S lowercase or whatever works
I used to have to use the tunnel a lot and I actually made a profit going through, always stick your hand into the return tray, one time I managed to get close to 20 Euro! A lot of the time it will be maybe 50 cent but feck it. I’d stick the money under the flap if needed but most of the time there was a sufficient amount in change that I’d just throw back in
Hmm I've been tailgating the car in front a few times there. Not for the money, just the shagging hassle. No trouble yet.... (I know)
Old 13th June 2018, 08:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2733
3,450 posts since Feb 2006

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs
jeez what a faff, i usually keep a euro coin under the flap on the filler cap, easy to get even with gloves on.

on the bikes without a flap on the filler cap i have a bulldog clip bolted to the bar mirror mount, can put two euro coins in that, again easy to get with gloves on, and believe it or not, ive never had a euro nicked off the bike!!

If there was enough bikes in the 'toll market' I'd design a sticky back coin slot plastic glove friendly thingy. stick it to the mirror or tank. dya think ?
then like all great inventions... they'd change the size of the coin.
Also.. in fairness girls.. its not like you don't know there's a toll ahead or that your that special you shouldnt have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

Pulled in a group before a toll once, couldn't get organised enough and ended up pinching the euro my mouth. Rolled up to the booth, dropped it into my hand and held it out.
Don't know who was worse, me putting a manky euro in my mouth or the Toller accepting it with a wrench look on her face
Old 14th June 2018, 09:05 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,859 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Fuck it - I make sure I have the correct change in my wallet before I hit the road, then go through the gloves off, wallet out, fish out the coins, wallet back in, gloves on, fire coins into coin bucket, drive on. If cars decide to choose the same toll booth as a bike, then they deserve to wait!
Then again, it's not like it is on my daily commute either!
Old 14th June 2018, 12:00 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 24315
1,305 posts since Oct 2010
Motorbike: Honda NT700 Deauville
Modifications: Some 90s disco lights

Originally Posted by Airman

If there was enough bikes in the 'toll market' I'd design a sticky back coin slot plastic glove friendly thingy. stick it to the mirror or tank. dya think ?
then like all great inventions... they'd change the size of the coin.
Also.. in fairness girls.. its not like you don't know there's a toll ahead or that your that special you shouldnt have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

Pulled in a group before a toll once, couldn't get organised enough and ended up pinching the euro my mouth. Rolled up to the booth, dropped it into my hand and held it out.
Don't know who was worse, me putting a manky euro in my mouth or the Toller accepting it with a wrench look on her face
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Plast...819039576.html
Old 14th June 2018, 12:25 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35801 from Dublin 1
14 posts since Feb 2016
Motorbike: KTM 1290 Superduke R
Modifications: Evo Ti exhaust system

P
<triggered>
In Ireland specifically but also more widely, motorcycles are the only practical, available, affordable congestion busting tool for commuting. WTF is going on with those folk sitting staring at us on the M50 any morning.
Insanity: doing the same crazy shit over and over again.

Much lower pollution, bikes typically do more MPG and get much more quickly from A to B without long periods sitting with an idling engine.

Less pollution from tyre and brake particles.

The only congestion proof transport for a distributed and rural population and urban dwellers driven out by house prices.

4 times more parking in a given space.

Considerable reduction in raw materials to build.

Far more recyclable that a car.

Most important: getting to your work or destination with a grin on your face after an extra 15 minutes in bed.

Most cars of a morning also only have one individual. If there is an argument about car sharing, well a bike could be taking two as well. 1 in 100 cars on the M50 have more than 1 or 2.

I'm seeing arguments about electric cars vs pollution and bikes. In Ireland that power was generated dirty. Anyway I'm all for an electric bike, as long as it has 250 miles at an easy 140kph. Not possible today but as battery and ultra-capacitor tech converges I'm sure it will be. TBH I'd rather my 1300cc petrol V-Twin was superseded by an almost identical 1800cc V-Twin burning hydrogen for the same power output.
Old 14th June 2018, 03:27 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 4559
494 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: GPZ500, VF500, SV650
Modifications: Feet forward on VF & GPZ

Like someone else mentioned, I've been using a bulldog clip on the handlebar for a few years now. Clutch in, coin to toll booth person, change (if required) back into clip with right hand and glove still on, ride on. No need to take gloves off or put the side stand down.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bikes, etoll

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed