Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 11th June 2018, 04:11 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,062 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!
Default Re: TT 2018: Senior win and 135mph lap record for Hickman

Originally Posted by HIGHSIDER
29 years old and 18 TT wins....Just wow!..How many had uncle Joey got when he was the same age?? answers on a postcard..

That is one heck of an achievement from the young Ballymoney man and I couldn't give a flying fook what comes out of his mouth. Its all an act. When the chips are down he delivers and that can't be taken from the lad. Fook me his record is astounding....running his own ship, putting a 600 together, racing it himself and getting a top podium for his efforts!...that is some achievement for this years effort and the lad should be congratulated. Sure he's had a few set backs at this years TT but that's part of the show, learn from it and move on....3 more to add to his tally this year...far from a bad weeks work that and he will add to that granted he stays out of trouble & gets the rub of the green. Fair play & good luck to him - the Maverick!
Unreal achievement is right, and I think he will be the first to equal Joeys record and then go ahead and beat it.
Old 11th June 2018, 04:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,418 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

Its on the cards PJ and never say never. He takes one race at a time and that seems reasonable to predict.....

One thing that sticks in my mind was an interview he done years back when he was asked about his apatite to win races and his answer was very admirable; he said he never wanted to disappoint his Da....

That speaks volumes in my books and much respect...
Old 11th June 2018, 04:45 PM
Holy Shit Batman!

Biker.ie Member No. 9833
3,070 posts since May 2008

Yeah 3 in a week is more common in recent times with Mickeys doing it 3 or 4 times and Hutchy clean sweep but it's still a major achievement.

What was the issue with mickey D in the senior... Did he have suspension issues?
Old 11th June 2018, 07:19 PM
plumber for hire

Biker.ie Member No. 16432 from cork
10,281 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes

Originally Posted by green grass
I'm no M.D. fan but I take issue with your post.

I'll explain why. I don't think he got lucky at all because Harrisons super bike failed in that race. He was only a handful of seconds behind and was closing the gap. Saying he got lucky would be grand if he was running in 6th place and the first 5 bikes blew up...amd he got the win then as a result...but imhe wasn't lucky Harrsions bike failed...he was giving Harrison a good race and was challenging for the top step,and if Harrisons bike had went the distance it was going to be a tight finish.

I never heard him say the light weight was irrelavant but it does sound like something he would say....but if he truly believed it was irrelavant he wouldn't allow his arse to warm the saddle on one of those bikes. Plus the average speed is mega and McGee brought his "A" game and Dunlop responded.

As for expecting to win most of the races....id say he goes with the intention of winning as many races as possible....but I doubt any racer just expects to show up and win...sur if it was that easy he wouldn't bother his hole...where would the thrill in that lie. Every race has to be won.

And of course when you win a race it's a sign that the rider/bike/team have gelled and nailed it..and the result is winning. And if them 3 ingredients aren't mixed properly then the result is not winning. So it's no crime to be honest in post race interviews and say it as it is.

And if a bad TT consists of winning 3 races then you must be a hard man to impress. I was delighted to see our southern Irish boys doing so well and I considered it to be an excellent TT for them boys...top 10s and a second for Dickie Mcgee.

So jaysus lad get a grip.......i don't think any win in the history of the TT can be considered to be down to "luck".

Peace out!
Originally Posted by budgerman
thank you i couldnt find it.

Originally Posted by green grass
As I said.....i hadn't heard him or read about him saying that before...and I also said it's like something he would say. Its the type of macho shite he would spew,Hence my dislike for him. But I don't think he believes that winning a supertwin race is pointless....because if he did he wouldn't risk his neck thrashing one around the roads like a madman.
And none of the above changes the fact that any TT win in the history of the race can be classed as lucky. Your man's chain snapping at the finish line didn't make his win lucky. He was lucky the chain didn't wrap around the wheel and spit him into the nearest wall/tree/lampost or whatever and kill him there and then. But it didn't mean he won the race as result of luck. Hard work,grit and years of racing is what wins a TT. Luck has fiddlers to do with it.
in later years hes also sed the senior is the one to win the only race people remember. dont get me wrong hes a great race and 3 wins is outstanding.

but going in if i told ya he would win a lightweight a 600 and a superbike race youd have sed im mad. hes much better than that.

he wasnt catching dean which is why he changed the bike and that didnt work.

hes only racing the lightweight because its a better bike than most of the field and he can add a few wins to his figure.

so hes left the tt win his record broken on superbike and supersport no senior win and the 600s where hes ment to dominate 1 out of 2.

compared to last 2 years thats a poor TT
Old 11th June 2018, 07:41 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 3897 from Dublin
1,125 posts since Oct 2006
Motorbike: KTM 950sm, ZX6RR

3 wins is hardly a poor tt. Look at talented riders like cummins he got couple podiums and was over the moon. The pace and commitment from the top riders was unreal this year. Everyone goes through spells of cleaning up but the competition changes and you have to adapt. I always liked dunlop but couldnt fully warm to his brash bullish nature. Was a big fan of william his dad and uncle. This changed when i read his book this year, might not be the best book in the world but gave a great insight into his mindset and world. That lad sure didnt have an easy life not even taking into account the tragedy in 2008. I think he is his own biggest critic too seems to be very down on himself if not winning and fans assume he'll always win as hes a Dunlop. Every TT a rider comes home from is a good TT in my eyes.

Last edited by stevieorama; 11th June 2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11th June 2018, 08:12 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,484 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Let's ask Guy Martin what he thinks about only winning 3 in a week
Old 11th June 2018, 10:22 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 10688 from Cork
849 posts since Jun 2008