Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th June 2018, 08:11 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
914 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.
Default Re: Looking for a decent HD mechanic (not Ballymount!)

I would try the V twin forum online. Lots of hog owners of all eras on there. The older HD clutches have a pushrod that is actuated from the right side of the tranny and lifts the clutch pressure plate....I imagine the design hasn't changed much. With the primary cover off you should be able to see the clutch. With the bike in neutral engine off you should be able to spin the clutch inner pressure plate by hand. With it in gear and the back wheel on the ground you won't. If you pull the clutch and see the pressure plate move, good. There is an adjuster in the centre of the pressure plate on most models with a lock nut that allows you to take up slack the cable adjuster can't or if it's a hydraulic clutch. This could be out of adjustment and be too far in which would lift the pressure plate early causing slip. It's a doddle to adjust properly. Otherwise your springs may be fucked but they would have to be pretty much broken to give no drive at all.

Last edited by scorpy; 8th June 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 8th June 2018, 08:16 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
914 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

It's possible that the lock nut on the clutch pressure plate adjuster was not tight and the adjuster screwed itself in due to the rotation of the plate over time resulting in the clutch slipping as you indicated before it stopped biting at all.
Old 8th June 2018, 10:39 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,875 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by Airmax95
Thatís great info for a fella looking for someone to service a HD in Dublin
GFUS
Old 9th June 2018, 09:57 AM
Resident Sneakerholic

Biker.ie Member No. 20721 from Cork
12,230 posts since Feb 2010
Motorbike: SP1
Modifications: Huge Nike Swoosh

Originally Posted by acdc
GFUS
Took ya long enough
Old 10th June 2018, 11:01 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36662
86 posts since Oct 2016
Motorbike: Indian Scout
Modifications: A lot

Franklin's look after all bikes but do a lot of work on HDs
Old 11th June 2018, 12:04 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,783 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by IndianVictory
Franklin's look after all bikes but do a lot of work on HDs
Anyone who can breathe without having to concentrate too hard on it can work on a HD!
They're the simplest bike ever made. They're using 1920s technology, FFS! (insert facepalm smiley)

Anyone who can't work on a HD isn't fit to call themself a mechanic.
Old 20th June 2018, 08:09 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38310
11 posts since Jun 2018
Motorbike: HD 883

Update!

Got her back two weeks ago.... and the original problem seems to have been solved....

HOWEVER

She know won't cycle back down through the gears.... if you take her up to 4th she won't go back down past 3rd..... SMH.

Another mechanic I won't go back to..... :/

Giving Franklin's a ring tomorrow.... thanks lads and lassies
Old 20th June 2018, 08:58 PM

Biker.ie Member No. 3046 from Dublin
23,122 posts since Apr 2006
Motorbike: ZZR

There's a 4th gear?
Old 20th June 2018, 10:08 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by custom900
There's a 4th gear?
That's the one that takes them to 35mph
Old 20th June 2018, 10:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,578 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

Anyone that refers to their bike as *SHE* should be shot with balls of their own shite.... Fuggin Harley or not....
Old 21st June 2018, 07:33 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

11 posts since Jun 2018

Kwackquack my humblest apologies. I didn't realise people were so sensitive here. Please feel free to simply tape a wee bit of paper with 'it' written on over every instance werein I refer to a vechile as 'she'.
Yes this will be time consuming for you but it is far more practical then balling up my faeces and attempting to contrive some sort of mechanism that will allow you to shoot them at me.
Alternatively you could just not care.... but sure what do I know....
Old 21st June 2018, 09:39 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,417 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe

so, first the clutch wouldn't work due to some
issue(?) that's since been repaired and now the bike operates as it should(?) all the way up through the gears until you downshift from third? is it fighting going into the gears or plain wont go? will it go into those gears if the engine is off?

first up, what did the mechanic do to fix the problem? might be better to go through it with him than burn bridges, after all its still not right.
next, is it perfect going through the gears or is it slipping/awkward?
are the basics covered like your linkages, has it forward controls and are they tight? is there oil in the primary? is it the right oil etc?
unfortunately this is one instance where "leaving it into a place to fix" just isn't going to cut it. you're gonna have to become a little savvy with that bike or it will cost you both arms and you'll be borrowing legs before you give up entirely. if you feel the mechanical stuff is beyond you or you haven't the time I would suggest selling it on as a project and put what you get into a cheaper faster more reliable well minded honda steed / shadow if cruisers are your thing, oil them, water them fuel them and they go, simples. theres no end of patch prospects looking for their cheap harley would take it off your hands. if you continue to bounce from one mech to the next you will spend the price of those bikes and still be left with a broke harley and burnt bridges everywhere.
if you want to keep with it i would suggest going to waterford harley see what they say. Its crap that you cant depend on harley backup in dublin but thats the way it is.
Old 21st June 2018, 09:55 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,712 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHD
Update!

Got her back two weeks ago.... and the original problem seems to have been solved....

HOWEVER

She know won't cycle back down through the gears.... if you take her up to 4th she won't go back down past 3rd..... SMH.

Another mechanic I won't go back to..... :/

Giving Franklin's a ring tomorrow.... thanks lads and lassies

We all are interested in the final bill amount..........surprised nobodys mentioned this.....how much wonga.....
Old 21st June 2018, 10:13 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
1,509 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by The Road Runner
We all are interested in the final bill amount..........surprised nobodys mentioned this.....how much wonga.....
He,s in Cavan shouldn't be too bad, the wonga doesn't change hands much up there ...
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:49 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

11 posts since Jun 2018

Sidegrinder;

Thanks for the post and the information and advice and unfortunately I haven't a technical bone in my body. Slowly starting to accept that this will have to change though!

And the bike functions grand... first, second, third, forth.... then when you go to shift down the gear selector simply push down past third. When this happens you can shift between third and forth without engaging the clutch lever.

I don't know how it happens but once I stop and kinda jiggle the selector by hand she seems to to shift down again to second and a bit of wiggling and pumping the clutch lever...
Away we go and the same problem occurs again once I hit forth. She won't go down past third.

And I left the bike with the guy who said it would he ready in a week... it wasn't... informed him I was heading away for a spell... he said he'd defintetly have it ready when I came back.... so mug that I am I gave him €200 to cover any parts or whatever (yes I am that naive.)....

And to be honest although I appreciate what you guys say about burning bridges and bouncing from garage to garage... all I want is for the people who's job it is to repair motorcycles, ya know, actually repair motorcycles!

It's been mentioned to me a few times that HD's are supposedly quite easy to work with... so I don't think it's too far fetched to expect that when I pay a professional to do a job they do it.....

As for selling and buying more reliable. 100%. It'll have to be December though due to a couple of financing issues, like paying mechanics hundreds of euros to not fix things. :/

Once again though I appreciate the advice!
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:44 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Sidegrinder;

Thanks for the post and the information and advice and unfortunately I haven't a technical bone in my body. Slowly starting to accept that this will have to change though!

And the bike functions grand... first, second, third, forth.... then when you go to shift down the gear selector simply push down past third. When this happens you can shift between third and forth without engaging the clutch lever.

I don't know how it happens but once I stop and kinda jiggle the selector by hand she seems to to shift down again to second and a bit of wiggling and pumping the clutch lever...
Away we go and the same problem occurs again once I hit forth. She won't go down past third.

And I left the bike with the guy who said it would he ready in a week... it wasn't... informed him I was heading away for a spell... he said he'd defintetly have it ready when I came back.... so mug that I am I gave him Ä200 to cover any parts or whatever (yes I am that naive.)....

And to be honest although I appreciate what you guys say about burning bridges and bouncing from garage to garage... all I want is for the people who's job it is to repair motorcycles, ya know, actually repair motorcycles!

It's been mentioned to me a few times that HD's are supposedly quite easy to work with... so I don't think it's too far fetched to expect that when I pay a professional to do a job they do it.....

As for selling and buying more reliable. 100%. It'll have to be December though due to a couple of financing issues, like paying mechanics hundreds of euros to not fix things. :/

Once again though I appreciate the advice!
You're never going to hear this from me agian, and if you ever repeat it I will deny it to the death.

I think your mechanic is more useless than your bike
Old 23rd June 2018, 01:26 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

11 posts since Jun 2018

Gixxer, uh huh!

Left her into Franklin's today....

Fingers crossed.
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:07 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,417 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe

Gixxer, uh huh!

Left her into Franklin's today....

Fingers crossed.
we're all watching now so no pressure Franklins haha I hope they do the job for you.
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:23 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

11 posts since Jun 2018

So!

Mystery solved!

Apparently the gear selector was slightly bent out of shape and was stoping the gears from shifting smoothly/at all.....

Thanks to all who suggested Franklin's Motorcycles in Swords, found them excellent to deal with, knowlegable, upfront and very good for cost!!

Will be using them from now on...

Hopefully gonna trade up on the HD come end of year....

On that thought, seeing as I was in Franklin's and all, anybody have an opinion as to say an Indian Scout/Bobber against a Yamaha XV950r??!

The Indians are a great looking bike but honestly the whole HD experience has made me lean towards something a little less flashy and more reliable, hence the interest in the (also cheaper!) XV....

Anyone care to weigh in?!

Once again all opinons welcome!

Old 2nd July 2018, 11:28 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,494 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Originally Posted by sidegrinder

are the basics covered like your linkages, has it forward controls and are they tight? is there oil in the primary?
Sidegrinder had that diagnosed Glad your sorted , theres a few course around that you could sign up to.

Will help in the future especially if you're holding onto the HD

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
ballymount, decent, mechanic