Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 10th November 2018, 02:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,347 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy
Default Macau GP

A host of Irish riders will converge on Macau in south China for the 52nd running of the famous road race, which gets underway next week. Magherafelt man Paul Jordan will make his debut at the event on the Dafabet Devitt Racing Kawasaki, when he will be joined by fellow Macau Grand Prix newcomer Dominic Herbertson.

The pair both rode for the team at the Ulster Grand Prix after Ivan Lintin was ruled out for the remainder of the season, with the Lincolnshire man suffering serious injuries in a crash at the Southern 100, which sadly claimed the life of James Cowton. Saintfieldís Davy Morgan will also return to the Far East for the seventh time on his DM71 BMW, while southern Irishmen Derek Sheils (MGM by Penz13 BMW) and Michael Sweeney (MJR BMW) will be aiming for solid results to round off the season. Long-time Macau regular Steve Heneghan will ride the Reactive Parts.com Ducati Panigale V4, giving the much-vaunted new Italian racer its road racing debut around the infamous 3.8-mile Guia street circuit.Ulsterman Jordan, meanwhile, says he has no expectations as he prepares to make his debut on the Dafabet Devitt Kawasaki Superstock machine in first practice on Thursday.

Jordan, who claimed fourth in the rained-off Superbike race at the Ulster Grand Prix, said: ďIíve got absolutely no expectations whatsoever and Iíll just be going there to basically learn the place and get a feel for it. Anything after that will be a bonus.ďIt will be a fantastic experience to go over there, never mind to race, and Iím grateful for the opportunity. Iím making my debut and itís something Iím really looking forward to

Jordanís performance at the Ulster Grand Prix has no doubt boosted his prospects for next season, while the Northern Ireland rider also excelled on his debut at the Classic TT, where he was in contention for the rostrum in the Superbike race on the Mistral Kawasaki until a problem on the final lap forced him out.He was running his own 600 Yamaha on a shoestring budget this year but grasped his chance to showcase his potential at Dundrod and the Classic TT.Jordan said: ďI have a few offers on the table for next year and everything is going down the road of the British championships. Some people are looking money, but I donít want to be out a fortune because itís not my priority.ďIím swaying towards returning to the British championship next year along with the roads if I can get something suitable in place.

Carrickís Glenn Irwin, who won at Macau in 2017 under tragic circumstances following the death of English rider Dan Hegarty, will not compete this year.Instead, 23-time Isle of Man TT winner John McGuinness and Martin Jessopp Ė so often the nearly man at Macau Ė will compete for Paul Birdís Ducati team.The line-up also includes eight-time winner Michael Rutter on the Aspire-Ho by Bathams Racing Honda RC213V-S MotoGP bike, and team-mate Peter Hickman, who will ride a BMW S1000RR.Other leading lights include Gary Johnson (Briggs Equipment Kawasaki), David Johnson (PR Racing BMW), Horst Saiger (Saiger Racing Yamaha), and this yearís top TT newcomer, Davey Todd, who makes his Macau debut on the Penz13 BMW.

Read more at: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/m...Bm59dKDXLpQlfY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVCCC.jpg (29.0 KB)
Old 10th November 2018, 07:40 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,962 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
Default Re: Macau GP

Big balls circuit that punishes any mistake but must be serious criac to ride, hope Shiels goes well, heneghen should have the ponies on the V4 panigale too!
Old 11th November 2018, 12:54 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
769 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape

Nice pic that.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:16 AM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 34149 from Carla lad
17 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: R1, 916, daytona 675

MC Guinness out on a ducati??

How has this not made headlines somewhere?
His first competitive road race since the NW200 crash??
Hard to keep a good man down.
Old 13th November 2018, 01:59 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

With two wins and a second in the last three years, Peter Hickman heads into this week’s Macau Grand Prix as the favourite for race honours but the Aspire-Ho by Bathams Racing rider isn’t taking anything for granted, with his focus once more on consistency as he looks to make it win number three.
The 31-year old ran a close second to Glenn Irwin last year and was looking to make his move in the second half of the race and complete his hat-trick but proceedings were cut short after the tragic crash which claimed the life of 2016 TT Privateer’s Champion Dan Hegarty.
While last year’s results paled into insignificance after the crash, Hickman believes his strategy of being consistent over 12 laps rather than being quick for just half will again be the key this time around.

“I felt comfortable sitting behind Glenn last year and I felt my strategy and approach to the race would come into its own in the second half of the race. We didn’t get that far though due to the unfortunate circumstances of Dan’s crash and the final results didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. It was a tragic end and everyone’s obviously hoping for a safe event this time around.”
“I’m looking forward to going back and I’m with the same team and same crew with a bike that’s more developed than it was twelve months ago so I think we’re in a good place. The combination of the BMW, the Dunlop tyres and myself is a good package and although I struggled a bit in 2016 through the twisty section, we improved that in 2017 and my aim will again to be fast over the 12 laps and not just one.”
“In both of the years I won, I wasn’t the fastest rider but I was the most consistent and that, for me, is the key. In 2016, I qualified back in seventh but I use the practice time to set the bike up for the full 12-lap race distance rather than putting in a quick lap to get on the front row. The race isn’t always about ultimate speed and people sometimes forget that.”
Whilst confident ahead of the race, Hickman isn’t complacent and is expecting another tough battle, pinpointing team-mate Michael Rutter and Martin Jessopp as the main threats despite the duo switching machines this year.
“Continuing with the same package should be an advantage for me but Michael and Martin will be fast whatever they ride and whilst you can never count anyone out, they’re the most likely threats.
“The RCV of Michael’s should be competitive as it’s a MotoGP-derived machine and I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes. His track record at Macau speaks for itself and he’s always fast so it will be interesting to see how it fares.
“Martin too is always fast at Macau and it’s clearly a circuit he enjoys. He’s been on the podium god knows how many times without actually winning one and he’ll obviously be eager to finally stand on the top step.
“He’s switched to the Ducati and although he may not have had much track time on the bike, he’s with a good team and knows where he’s going while he’s been on the podium before on a Ducati so I’m expecting him to the right up there once more.”
Old 14th November 2018, 01:12 PM
Supporter

https://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/en/

Link to livestreaming and timetable in english
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM
Supporter

LIVESTREAM BIKES NOW !

https://livestream.com/MacauGrandPri...uGP2018-Global
Old Today, 09:54 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
5,899 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads

Mate of mine is over there in pitlane.
He says the sound and atmosphere is great.
Sound of Rutters bike is mega.
Old Today, 09:56 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
5,899 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads

Weather looks good too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20181116-WA0006.jpg (169.7 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG-20181116-WA0004.jpg (78.6 KB)

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
macau