Old 6th December 2018, 07:42 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,255 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans
Default Re: Most fun on the best roads?

Originally Posted by Admin View Post
No point in going overboard, there are lads riding around on sportsbikes who can't even get to within 60% of their performance capability on the roads and would be much more comfortable and relaxed on something with less power that was softer for bumps and could be driven to within say, 90% of it's overall capacity quite easily, and thus be ultimately quicker and safer while having way more criac bouncing off the limiter and tearin' around on a spin - but,..

Unfortunately, for some it's more a consideration of static/coffee shop/look at me strutting around like a rooster who's guilty by association with having the same 200mph motogp logos & other visually arresting connotations, where the 'ego' takes over and ultimately makes up their mind for them, as they try to matthew léblanc out some geriatric (who 'gets' it) that just left them sitting on the col dé montagne
The power of delusion is strong! Sure it was very few I ever came across that my dopey looking semi supermoto 990 that struggles past 190kmh couldn’t go faster than (on any sort of twisty/backroad). And I was having a lot more fun swinging out of it and sailing over bumps than they were bouncing around in 2nd gear in a sweat
Old 6th December 2018, 08:19 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 31096 from Dublin/Belfast
1,082 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Loud noises.

For those fans of the 990SM/SMR, are they much better than the SMT? Weight looks the same and the SMR and SMT both around 115bhp, 97nm...

As far as swapping the GS, I dunno, Will have to throw a leg over a 1090, seems quite big and broad in comparison but won't write it off till ive tried it. As far as doing it all though, nothing does long distance two up like my GS and I'd be hard pushed keeping my missus in the saddle for a 7 hour+ day on anything else.

Last edited by BigDiggity; 6th December 2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 08:24 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,255 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans

Originally Posted by BigDiggity View Post
For those fans of the 990SM/SMR, are they much better than the SMT? Weight looks the same and the SMR and SMT both around 115bhp, 97nm...

Will have to throw a leg over a 1090, seems quite big and broad in comparison but won't write it off till ive tried it. As far as doing it all though, nothing does long distance two up like my GS and I'd be hard pushed keeping my missus in the saddle for a 7 hour+ day on anything else.
The SMT is basically the later model SMR (2012 onwards) with a bigger fuel tank and fairing so almost the same bike. The 09-11 SMR had forged wheels, some carbon bits, Brembo M4 calipers (sharper by far with no ABS) and slightly fancier forks. The 990SM has longer travel suspension than both and is a bit softer. It's slightly better at managing really bad surfaces but not quite as good in the faster stuff when you load it up. Nothing that would make a huge difference for how you would generally use them though.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:22 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31434 from Dublin
361 posts since May 2013
Motorbike: KTM 990 SMR, KTM 690

And I have an ABS SMR. Although it looks very pretty, the tank range isn't great so unless you find an original SMR, with the fancy bits enticing you, I'd probably go for an SMT over it. The later, 13 SMT is the prettiest of the SMT range with the orange frame and that.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:32 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6925 from Louth
1,604 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: 1290 SuperDuke GT,ZX12R

Ktm 790
Old 6th December 2018, 10:40 AM
<< SAVAGE LID

Biker.ie Member No. 4646 from Back of the Wolfpack..Try
26,535 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: 2 Suzi's
Modifications: Sticker and Iba 35959

Hayablackbird
Old 6th December 2018, 02:10 PM
Back in Cumblowus O-H-I-O

Biker.ie Member No. 19826 from Columbus OH USAUSAUSA
2,197 posts since Dec 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: ZRX1200,FJ1300
Modifications: Sold 3 already

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Congratulations on the move!

The Kawasaki Z1000SX is very popular over there. That'd be the bike I'd go for, if I were upgrading the ZRX.
For shame there is no such thing as an upgrade from a ZRX
Certainly not in looks :)

I did have a go on a well sorted ( suspension and full system )one of those in the twisties of north carolina ( Deals Gap ) I must say it was a impressive thing but a bit heavy for the tight stuff.

I didn't push it to hard ( not my bike) but it was certainly quite the masheen
Old 6th December 2018, 02:49 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 23271 from tipperary
793 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: zx6r.cr 500sm. ktm950 sm.
Modifications: black duct tape

Originally Posted by batman_oh View Post
The SMT is basically the later model SMR (2012 onwards) with a bigger fuel tank and fairing so almost the same bike. The 09-11 SMR had forged wheels, some carbon bits, Brembo M4 calipers (sharper by far with no ABS) and slightly fancier forks. The 990SM has longer travel suspension than both and is a bit softer. It's slightly better at managing really bad surfaces but not quite as good in the faster stuff when you load it up. Nothing that would make a huge difference for how you would generally use them though.
Fully ajustable suspension will let ya put it where you need it too.
Old 6th December 2018, 03:05 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,695 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Hayablackbird
I love them Suzuki blackbirds myself, savage for wheelies and making yang wans foam at the gash!

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
fun, roads