Old 5th December 2018, 04:58 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38584 from Dublin
64 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Modifications: A few little ones
Default Re: Crash Camera - do you?

Argos, €50 with all the fittings, Happy out!
Old 5th December 2018, 05:28 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 4628 from Gorey
104 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: '98 F6C, '88VF750C

I run an Aukey DR02 (front and rear) in the four wheeler. Herself has a NextBase 312 GW in hers.
I have a BikerMate BulletHD on the Valk.

You can never be too careful out there.
Old 5th December 2018, 05:57 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37068 from Dublin
239 posts since Mar 2017
Motorbike: YaMama R6
Modifications: Exhaust, Tail tidy...

Used to mount the gopro on my helmet but then I got a new one and didn't wanna stick a mount to it yet. Really should though. Could make a movie with the amount of shit I see in Dublin every day commuting

Originally Posted by Alkers View Post
Don't use anything but would be interested in getting a setup that records on a continuous loop and only saves the footage if you ask it to or it detects a shock or something - does this exist?
Any gopro will do that.
Old 5th December 2018, 07:11 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38635
40 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Triumph Tiger 800
Modifications: Leovince,arrow map

Originally Posted by Motomong View Post
Used to mount the gopro on my helmet but then I got a new one and didn't wanna stick a mount to it yet. Really should though. Could make a movie with the amount of shit I see in Dublin every day commuting

Any gopro will do that.
Go pro's don't really have looping useful for dash cam, they will record continuously if left on with enough battery but once you turn off the current file is saved and essentially locked, it's hard to explain, if you look up "can go pros loop record" the first result is on the go pro website and explains it well. I looked into it before as dash cam saved me in car and I was going to put a go pro on the bike but knew I would forget to constantly delete footage etc.

Unless you are diligent and get into a habit, get a hard wired camera with looping and 3 minute video files etc or you will just forget to turn on the camera. And make sure you can't see the speedo don't want to be incriminating yourself when you show the guard the footage.
Old 5th December 2018, 07:45 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
857 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs View Post
ya pervert..................

any footage?

and i dont mean of her feet....

Nah...she makes me wipe it () afterwards in case her husband finds out....
Old 6th December 2018, 01:00 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
905 posts since Apr 2008

Video footage is apparently most commonly used to undermine a defendant's argument that a claimant was acting the bollocks, rather than proving or determining guilt.

Camera fixed on the bike can apparently be seized as evidence (as, like a cage dashcam, it's vehicle-mounted) - do you act the bollocks?

Camera on a helmet apparently not so, as it's not mounted on the vehicle.

Interesting article on this very subject in the current issue of the ridiculously overpriced Adventure Bike Rider magazine.

EDIT: To answer OP's question - yes; on the bike, I use a helmet-mounted Sena 10C and sometimes also a rear-mounted Garmin VIRB. In the cage, a Vivitar DVR787HD on loop-mode, mounted in front of the Rearview Mirror.

Some of the footage I've recorded really beggars belief - if I didn't have the footage, you really wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen.

Last edited by Phaedrus; 6th December 2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:28 AM
Novice Racer

40 posts since Oct 2018

Can't say the legalities behind them, but when I had someone run into me in the cage I just took a video off of the computer screen with the phone and went up to Togher station, garda watched the video and said your mans 100% at fault if he tries to mess around I'll threaten him with prosecution for dangerous driving. Sorted guy paid up cash. I was 17 at the time with a fresh full licence, other guy was probably in 30's, w/o dashcam it would have been his word against mine and me being 17...saved my ass and it was so quick and easy.

I'm sure they probably can seize camera/sd card for evidence but for the sake of €50 or so and if it helps your case I don't see a problem.
Old 6th December 2018, 05:33 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23564
956 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: Ducati Super Sport

Be careful.! Even if you don't capture your speedometer in the shot it is still fairly easy to determine speed if they want to. Number of white lines per second etc.....unless you really are going hyper and everything is a blur. Small card being over ridden every 5 - 10 minutes would help.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,695 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Originally Posted by Burt_Munro View Post
Be careful.! Even if you don't capture your speedometer in the shot it is still fairly easy to determine speed if they want to. Number of white lines per second etc.....unless you really are going hyper and everything is a blur. Small card being over ridden every 5 - 10 minutes would help.
This is bollix in Ireland as there is no regulation on distance between white lines.
The UK has regulation white lines.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:20 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8221 from Walkinstown
392 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: 05 SV650S
Modifications: GSXR Front End, Viper Can

Originally Posted by johnny b View Post
This is bollix in Ireland as there is no regulation on distance between white lines.
Yes we do:
http://trafficsigns.ie/current-tsm/
Old 6th December 2018, 09:33 AM
Novice Racer

40 posts since Oct 2018

Originally Posted by johnny b View Post
It would be fairly easy anyway, all the gardaí have to do is go back to the scene and take measurements or take fixed points on the road and see how long it takes the cammer to reach the next point e.g. a speed limit sign and a specific tree, it probably wouldn't stand in a court to prove someone was 20k/h over limit as the margin of error would be too high but if cammer was drastically speeding I'd imagine they could prove speed this way
Old 6th December 2018, 10:25 AM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Biker.ie Member No. 1921 from DNS Dublin
9,012 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: '01 ZRX1200R, '99 SV650S

It would be my desire to simply provide video evidence which gives anyone who watched it a pretty good understanding of "what really happened" and to establish credibility (who's telling the truth, and who's not) - and not to necessarily provide any accurate measure of exact speed or anything else.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:42 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37068 from Dublin
239 posts since Mar 2017
Motorbike: YaMama R6
Modifications: Exhaust, Tail tidy...

Originally Posted by seano View Post
Go pro's don't really have looping useful for dash cam, they will record continuously if left on with enough battery but once you turn off the current file is saved and essentially locked, it's hard to explain
Weird. I always assumed the setting that tells it to loop when it's full would do that. Mine's a Hero 3, and it makes lots of small videos instead of one continuous long one, so I figured it would delete the oldest one first and create a new one when it needed the space
Old 6th December 2018, 12:49 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38584 from Dublin
64 posts since Oct 2018
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Modifications: A few little ones

Definitely a useful tool for Bike/car, its better to have the proof than to go looking for it, I'll keep mine on daily.
Might buy one for the car surprising they don't have them built into the cars at this stage being so useful.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:07 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Biker.ie Member No. 1921 from DNS Dublin
9,012 posts since Jun 2005
Motorbike: '01 ZRX1200R, '99 SV650S

Originally Posted by Popcorn750 View Post
Definitely a useful tool for Bike/car, its better to have the proof than to go looking for it, I'll keep mine on daily.
Might buy one for the car surprising they don't have them built into the cars at this stage being so useful.
I give it 5 years. Most all new cages already have reversing cameras; front and side cameras will be needed for "collision avoidance" systems, so it's a logical next step in the move toward self-driving vehicles.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:31 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 38487
31 posts since Aug 2018

Originally Posted by Motomong View Post
Weird. I always assumed the setting that tells it to loop when it's full would do that. Mine's a Hero 3, and it makes lots of small videos instead of one continuous long one, so I figured it would delete the oldest one first and create a new one when it needed the space
^^^^corect
Old 6th December 2018, 01:42 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
541 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

I'm sure they probably can seize camera/sd card for evidence but for the sake of €50 or so and if it helps your case I don't see a problem.
A case against me in court. Copper sided with guy who pulled out into my path from my left on a roundabout. To make a case of undue care ... he also happened to loose three witnesses in total, two of whom would have had view of the actual impact. Apparently cops are under no obligation to produce any witnesses to any incident where they are already on the scene.

Directly post accident he tried to prevent me from removing a tank bag (magnetic fixed) from my then seized bike, it was a casual remark from a fire brigade guy at the scene that halted him in his tracks. In short, if the footage data is secured to your person when ya dismount the bike, then your go pro peace of mind is not worth a shite.
Old 6th December 2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,695 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

It would be fairly easy anyway, all the gardaí have to do is go back to the scene and take measurements or take fixed points on the road and see how long it takes the cammer to reach the next point e.g. a speed limit sign and a specific tree, it probably wouldn't stand in a court to prove someone was 20k/h over limit as the margin of error would be too high but if cammer was drastically speeding I'd imagine they could prove speed this way
It won't stand in court and what land are you living in?
Nothing gets measures unless some one unfortunately dies.
Fuck all guards in the country ever go to the scene of an accident after the fact to measure jack shit cos they are overworked as it is.

The UK do it right and we are 20 years behind...
But I prefer Ireland where you can get a bit of discretion!

Originally Posted by Alkers View Post
Well no one ever told the guy drawing the lines that from the council!
This is ireland where we make rules and no one follows them!
Old 6th December 2018, 05:08 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8221 from Walkinstown
392 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: 05 SV650S
Modifications: GSXR Front End, Viper Can

Originally Posted by me2 View Post
A case against me in court. Copper sided with guy who pulled out into my path from my left on a roundabout. To make a case of undue care ... he also happened to loose three witnesses in total, two of whom would have had view of the actual impact. Apparently cops are under no obligation to produce any witnesses to any incident where they are already on the scene.

Directly post accident he tried to prevent me from removing a tank bag (magnetic fixed) from my then seized bike, it was a casual remark from a fire brigade guy at the scene that halted him in his tracks. In short, if the footage data is secured to your person when ya dismount the bike, then your go pro peace of mind is not worth a shite.
Don't follow you here? Are you saying the footage was no use? Why was your bike seized? What did the fireman say?
Old 6th December 2018, 08:07 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
541 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Bike wasn't legal, no insurance, hence his seizure.

He was trying to retrieve the bag back from me after I'd pulled it free. Fireman mentioned fact it was not fixed to the bike.

I didn't have a camera mounted. What I'm saying is, if you are not in a position to secure the evidence post incident - for whatever reason, ya are at the mercy of others and they may not have your best interests at heart. In my case he would have lost the footage along with said witnesses.

While I accept I'm the only crim' here, everyone else would have insurance. My question to one and all is, who will safeguard any bike mounted camera footage if the biker is incapacitated.

My friend pursued that charge for two years, he only dropped it when I fired my council and acquired a real solicitor.

Don't get me wrong, cameras are useful, but they all have serious limitations which should be considered prior to purchase.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
camera, crash