Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 26th November 2018, 08:46 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38458
56 posts since Jul 2018
Motorbike: Kawasaki ER6F
Default What do you wear?

Hi guy's, just curious to find out what you guys wear when riding in this cold/wet weather? I recently ordered new (first time) gear and I'm not too happy with the fit on the textile pants. They're super baggy and I was hoping to tuck them into my boots but no chance can I get them in. Also another thing is the padding on shins and knees's sits below my knee's even when fully adjusted to maximum height. On the other hand I was thinking of some kevlar jeans but not sure if they'd suit this weather? And lastly is it even worth thinking of leather pants in this weather or no?
Old 26th November 2018, 09:02 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 36377
24 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: Blade street fighter
Default Re: What do you wear?

Few lads are partial to arse less chaps in any kind weather but I'd recommend goretx
Old 26th November 2018, 09:06 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37795 from i dont know
158 posts since Nov 2017
Motorbike: CBR 600 F4i
Modifications: Stock bar exhuast

My commute to work is fairly short so i just chuck a leather jocks some jeans and sometimes boots if there has been some rain and bring a bag to chuck them into.

If it is outside of my commute i just wear a rst one piece , it's fairly warm with layers on underneath (sweater and a shirt ) ... I don't love the textile pants myself i find them fairly uncomfortable the jockss i find good, have had a few richa and alpinestar ones nothing amazing and they held strong , but they did look a bit tacky a bit quicker too the leather.
Old 26th November 2018, 09:09 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by HurricaneDream
My commute to work is fairly short so i just chuck a leather jocks some jeans and sometimes boots if there has been some rain and bring a bag to chuck them into.

If it is outside of my commute i just wear a rst one piece , it's fairly warm with layers on underneath (sweater and a shirt ) ... I don't love the textile pants myself i find them fairly uncomfortable the jockss i find good, have had a few richa and alpinestar ones nothing amazing and they held strong , but they did look a bit tacky a bit quicker too the leather.
Yeah I just feel uncomfortable in the textile pant's too big and bulky for my liking. Would some leather pants with a themal underlayer be ok for this weather? My journeys will be relatively short and on weekends as I'm only learning at the minute.
Old 26th November 2018, 09:15 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37795 from i dont know
158 posts since Nov 2017
Motorbike: CBR 600 F4i
Modifications: Stock bar exhuast

Originally Posted by Aato
Yeah I just feel uncomfortable in the textile pant's too big and bulky for my liking. Would some leather pants with a themal underlayer be ok for this weather? My journeys will be relatively short and on weekends as I'm only learning at the minute.
I find them to be grand but we aren't all the same . I like to wear jeans underneath with the thought in mind the layers can't hurt . If it's a short commute you could pick a cheap pair up donedeal or adverts and see how you like them .
Old 26th November 2018, 10:09 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25910
566 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: CBR1100XX3, CBR900RRW

2 piece leathers with raingear to keep the wind out on cold days. That does me until there's ice on the road. Good gloves are most important I think.
Old 26th November 2018, 10:14 PM
green grass

Textiles that fit will be comfy.
Old 26th November 2018, 10:43 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
566 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by Aato
Hi guy's, just curious to find out what you guys wear when riding in this cold/wet weather? I recently ordered new (first time) gear and I'm not too happy with the fit on the textile pants. They're super baggy and I was hoping to tuck them into my boots but no chance can I get them in. Also another thing is the padding on shins and knees's sits below my knee's even when fully adjusted to maximum height. On the other hand I was thinking of some kevlar jeans but not sure if they'd suit this weather? And lastly is it even worth thinking of leather pants in this weather or no?
You definitely dont want to tuck your textiles into your boots if its pissing rain, the rain will simply pour off the legging into your boots and the last thing you want is wet feet and inner boot while on a bike.

If you are a short leg, then like me you will find it hard to find textile leggings where the knee protection actually protects your knees and is not hanging around your shins. Adjustment on knee pads is usually only an inch or two on textile trousers, and unfortunately the majority of textile trousers on the market simply will not fit you properly. Do the right thing, buy in a shop, a real shop not online, and make sure they fit before handing over your hard earned money. I bought mine in Lee Honda in Cork and to be fair to the staff there, I must have tried nearly every brand and size before we eventually found a pair that fitted. The extra 30 to 40 euro that I spent rather than buy online was well worth it. Sometimes getting good service and a good fit is worth more than saving a few euro online. In fact personally for any safety equipment where fit is important I will always go to a real shop rather than online.

A good pair of textile leggings will trump kevlar jeans or leather leggings every time. They might not look as good, but they will keep you dry for extended periods. I doubt a pair of leather leggings will keep you dry for more than an hour or so before they get saturated. Kevlar jeans are not worth a carrot in winter weather, guaranteed you will be walking round in soaking wet jeans all day if there is a heavy spill.
Old 27th November 2018, 11:05 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 9275
905 posts since Apr 2008

An eternal question. And you'll get many varied answers. Human nature is such that we won't diss our own choices and admit we wasted money or made a mistake.

Many mistakes and wasted pennies later, I've arrived now at the most versatile system - for me - yet.

PANTS
Dainese leathers - neither cold nor warm, not dry.
Dainese Tempest textile - fixed waterproof liner
Dainese D-Stormer textile - removable waterproof liner.
Dainese Drake Super Air mesh textile - no liners.

COATS
Dainese D-Stormer textile - removable waterproof liner.
Dainese Air Crono mesh textile - no liners.

RAIN GEAR
Oxford RainSeal coat & pants. Completely dry, but not particularly breathable, shortish sleeves.
Scott Ergonomic coat & pants. Completely dry, quite breathable.

GLOVES
Dainese Clutch Evo - dry & warm.
Dainese Desert Poon - very light, not dry or warm.
Alpinestars C-10 Performance - dry & warm.
Alpinestars Warden - light, not dry or warm.
Alpinestars SMX-1 Air V2 - light, mesh, not dry or warm.

BOOTS
Gaerne GX-1 Evo motocross - not dry, neither cold nor warm.
Acerbis X-Team motocross - new to me, can't yet comment.
Alpinestars Roam II - reasonably dry & warm.

A Rukka or Klim suit would probly cost more than all my gear combined, but I'd still wear waterproof gear over that (rather than have gritty dieselly road spray ruin it), and would still need another lighter suit for milder weather.

There are great light base and mid layers that really do work well at keeping you warm. Look to outdoor shops rather than bike shops. I usually chuck the liners from coats and pants in the attic and just use outdoor base and mid layers on the inside for heat (far less bulky than the OE thermal liners), and separate rain gear on the outside to keep dry. Waterproof liners inside coats & pants don't make a lot of sense.

Couple of guys I know have recently invested in heated gear and swear by it, but not cheap.

My own set up gives flexibility - I realised ages ago that there's no such thing as one coat (or pants or whatever) that will cover all conditions. I'll pretty much always have rain gear with me, regardless of what combination of pants & coat I've decided to wear. And I'll usually take a back-up pair of gloves with me.

Regarding baggy gear - my Tempest pants are baggier than the D-Stormer pants, but still less baggy than most other textile pants I see. I hate baggy bike pants, but I'm OK with the Tempest and I love the D-Stormers. Might sell the Tempests, as the D-Stormers are now my go-to shit-weather pants.

Most lads on bikes usually have a collection of gear that they've built up over years. It's not like you'd go out and buy tons of gear right from the start.

I will at some point add a leather coat and kevlar jeans to my bike wardrobe for more options and flexibility, but I confess there'll be an element of vanity or fashion involved in those choices.

Last edited by Phaedrus; 27th November 2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: OCD
Old 27th November 2018, 11:08 AM
vintage biatch

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,810 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

200 denier tights .like a sheep on each leg lol
Old 27th November 2018, 02:27 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37068 from Dublin
241 posts since Mar 2017
Motorbike: YaMama R6
Modifications: Exhaust, Tail tidy...

Currently while commuting I use

RST Blade gloves that my thumb has worn a hole though, so need to go shopping
RST Ventilator short textile jocks - comes with wind and thermal layers, only using the wind one.
RST Tractech Evo boots

and, if it's dry out, which it usually is in Dublin, some baggy kevlar lined combats
and, if it's not dry out, a pair of these sexy bastards
Click the image to open in full size.

But same craic with the knee armour, it's too low. But hopefully when I crash it'll end up in the right place When you wear the braces on these pants they can be a bit tight around my enormous bollocks, but you get used to it and they do feel solid and keep all the water out
Old 27th November 2018, 02:33 PM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,500 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

I wear the same kit all year round. Alpinestars Andes Drystars (it isn't Goretex but it keeps me dry) coat & pants, Alpinestars Goretex boots & Richa gloves. I've been wearing this set of kit for 4 1/2 years without any problems. The coat & pants both have removable cold-weather linings but it's so hot & sticky with the linings fitted that I never use them. In dry weather I tuck the legs into the boots & in wet weather I leave the legs outside of the boots. I once made the mistake of riding from Youghal to Carrigaline in a downpour with the legs tucked-in & the boots were full by the time I was home
Old 27th November 2018, 02:33 PM
Head up, arse down

Biker.ie Member No. 15745 from Mainistir Ban, Corcaigh
1,500 posts since Apr 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XL1000VA GS425E TS250/1
Modifications: Insulin

Originally Posted by chopper
200 denier tights .like a sheep on each leg lol
Old 27th November 2018, 02:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37605
104 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: 2002 Bandit 600

I think I got a good break with the first bit of proper kit I bought. A two piece Dainese Apside textile suit. They describe it as 'for the more athletic look' read: fits scrawny peeps like me!

Came in to work in this mornings monsoon, probaly the worst weather combination I have ever biked in: dark, wind jolting, rain soaking the inside of the helmet whenever I opend the visor, hail. I was dry save the rain ran up the inside of my sleeves (gloves were tucked inside)

So if you're worried about baggy, the Apside range might be an option

I agree wiht what's gone before. boots inside trousers. and I would still put my gloves inside sleeves when it is raining (but too lazy otherwise)
Old 27th November 2018, 07:33 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Yeah I mean to be fair they actually are not that bad outside the boot and they zip to my jocks which is a plus. They're Alpinestars Raider pants and my jocks is Alpinestars T-GP waterproof V2. Boots and gloves are also Alpinestars gore tex.
Old 27th November 2018, 08:05 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
2,057 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 21st of ballast!!!

Doesn't say where you are........if possible, make your way down to Ballymount and go in a have a chat to the girls about Rev'it (short leg option on most of the range) and the same with Scott who also do short leg options, the lads in AMI Gorey will sort you out.
Old 27th November 2018, 08:11 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by cracker boy
Doesn't say where you are........if possible, make your way down to Ballymount and go in a have a chat to the girls about Rev'it (short leg option on most of the range) and the same with Scott who also do short leg options, the lads in AMI Gorey will sort you out.
I'm in Kildare area. The problem is I've my gear already bought but want to either exchange or refund the textile pants. I've been looking at the Alpinestars copper out jeans, what's your opinion on these?
Old 27th November 2018, 09:51 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 18656
1,205 posts since Sep 2009
Motorbike: ltd1000 zx12
Modifications: just me

In any combo a pair of the base layer leggins from aldi are a great job.leathers will always eventually let in water and a very uncomfy when wet.ive rst pants im not gone on find them shortish but my got to for 99% of my driving is my gortex hien geirkle pants
Old 27th November 2018, 10:38 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 8700 from Kildare/Kerry
43 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Triumph street triple,
Modifications: A few scratches

For cold weather riding I find leathers too cold and not waterproof enough.

My commute is 45km each way at near motorway speeds so I use an alpineatars drystar textile J acket and richa textile pants. But I have waterproofs over each of these because eventually water will get in.

Gloves are probably most important. I've gone through a lot of shite. I'm going to have the bullet and but proper one's.
Old 30th November 2018, 07:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
455 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

Flexothane rain overpants. Textile pants with attached thermal layer (right size, bit bulky but comfy). Pants go inside the boots, overpants go outside. Wind out, water out.

When commuting: sweater + textile jocks without liners + standard jocks.
When riding around the weekend: sweater + textile jocks with thermal + rain liner + flexothane garda-like jocks (+ thermal liner if less than 10 and going at"spirited pace" for a while).

For commuting, furygan opal. For long riding, same until about 10-11 deg, then gerbing heated gloves without heating until about 6 deg C. Neck tube or buff or similar is a must.

Properly set never been cold even riding all day at less than 3C, and only time you get wet is when you have to pay the fuggin tolls. Having the glove heat is a must also, to keep your feet warm if you use thin socks.

No, won't get you any points for style. But works.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
wear