Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 12th January 2007, 11:13 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3461
470 posts since Jul 2006
Default sports bike to non sports bike

ive had a cbr250 for the past 6 months, but i dont feel safe on it (leaning over the tank, leaning into corners), i know your never gona feel safe on a bike, but are sports bikes just not for some people?

has anyone has a similar experience and changed to a different type of bike and found it suited them better?
Old 12th January 2007, 11:43 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4177 from Galway
425 posts since Dec 2006
Motorbike: XF650, XT660Z

I have acbr and i find it super. I feela as though i know the limitations of the bike(now that i've battlax front and rear on her). I went for a wee spin on a friends dominator though and found it great- real easy to steer, nice high view of the road, a little bit more torque than the cbr however, when i strated pusing her i backed off because i had no clue as to what the front end was doing. I was so far away from the front and didn't find it particularly reassuring, at least on the cbr i'm sitting over it.
really, if you dont feel safe on the cbr, maybe wait until you get a new set of tires or until less-wet weather (if ever) comes.
Its true to each his own, maybe you shold try grab a spin on a mtes trailie or even....a custom
Old 12th January 2007, 11:49 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 3224 from Athy, Kildare
1,807 posts since Jun 2006
Motorbike: Blackbird
Modifications: K&N, Dynojet, Quill cans, double-bubble, jack-up plates, dream machine paint job

If this is you first bike, then maybe it's lack of experience on confidence with the bike. If you are an experienced rider, but just don't like the riding position, then try something else lika a bandit or super four. If you prefer to sit upright, then you could look a the likes of a deauville or perhaps a cruiser
Old 12th January 2007, 12:01 PM
Da bollix

Biker.ie Member No. 3161 from Meath
14,399 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: CBR900RRS, ZXR750
Modifications: Allsorts

As BB said, have you ever tried a cruiser type bike? You still lean the bike into corners, it's part of the fun.
Old 12th January 2007, 12:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2286 from A Happy Place
1,155 posts since Oct 2005
Motorbike: cbr600f
Modifications: its red

I started off with a cbr250, moved on to a gt650r after that and I loved them, even had my eyes on a cbr600 after the 2 years is up, but after a few issues with the gt, a friend found a bmw f650 for me, and I cant see myself going back to a sports bike anytime soon
Old 12th January 2007, 12:22 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 2063
1,417 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Hornet 6

Originally Posted by zooleire
ive had a cbr250 for the past 6 months, but i dont feel safe on it (leaning over the tank, leaning into corners), i know your never gona feel safe on a bike, but are sports bikes just not for some people?

has anyone has a similar experience and changed to a different type of bike and found it suited them better?

Weather has been crap for the past few months, but in regard to your post I'd be inclined to blame tires or suspension or something. A sportsbike on a good surface with decent grip should be (and is) very confidence inspiring.
Old 12th January 2007, 01:13 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,909 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

ya ya see whats it's like in the summer
Old 12th January 2007, 01:40 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,246 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans

definitely wait till summer, on crap roads u cant throw it around and actually learn the limitations
and i always feel perfectly safe on my bike, so that is somethin that will come too
Old 12th January 2007, 01:58 PM
Break it. Fix it. Repeat.

Biker.ie Member No. 1842 from Westmeath
3,828 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: '87 NC24; '98 TL1000S
Modifications: TLS: M4 system, PCII, K&N, GI-pro ATRE, c/f hugger

to answer the direct question:
yes - sports bikes just aren't for some people

they have much sharper handling that the likes of a trailie, a commuter, or a cruiser.. might be know harm to get a spin on a bros, a super4 or a varadero so that at least you'll be able to form your own opinion.

bloke's right though - this time of year will be unsettling for a new biker, the roads are in sh*te.
Old 12th January 2007, 09:39 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3705 from Dublin
505 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: Dr650, DRZ400sm, TTR250R

At least try a trailie. At any speed under 60kmph they blow away any sportsbike for sharp turning. Part of the reason is that your wrists are relaxed, whereas they're under stress on a sportsbike due to the stupid riding position. You can change direction quicker. A sportsbike encourages you to lean into a corner, a trailie encourages opposite lean. Opposite lean is preferable to leaning in a low speeds because you change your position easier, especially if either of the tyres begin to slide. Mistakes are easier to correct.

There are plenty more reasons why trailies handle better than sportbikes at low speed: skinny tyres, massive steering lock, ability to move your weight easily fore and aft, high centre of gravity, low rev torque.

I went from a vfr to a small trailie, and never looked back.
Old 13th January 2007, 12:34 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 3820 from North Dublin
1,015 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: 1000RR Fireblade
Modifications: few

My first bike was 250rr and I loved it...
Suspension is a bit hard but they are OK bikes...
I`d say U just need to do few more miles on it and U`ll B
Old 13th January 2007, 01:09 AM
ISB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3461
470 posts since Jul 2006

i had an accident back in october and i guess it kinda through my confidence a bit, i was gona get a Varadero back in the summer when moving up from the scooter, kinda wish i had now, as the riding position on the cbr does put a lot of pressure on my wrists and i work as a programmer all day is thats gona lead to problems down the line

are there many trailies that you can get on a provisional license??
Old 13th January 2007, 01:52 AM
Turn 4 tumbler

Biker.ie Member No. 2395 from Dublin/Huntingdon
7,439 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: 2005 R1; 2005 FZ6S; 2006 R6 race bike
Modifications: A few tasty mods on the R6, Stock R1 & Fazer

Ned, mate, what fucking drugs are you on....
Old 13th January 2007, 01:59 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 3973 from Dublin
316 posts since Oct 2006
Motorbike: super four

I moved from cruiser (about 5 years on cruisers) to super fours, handling is so much better and ive tried a couple of other naked bikes too, really good handling, arent cruisers designd for long straight american type roads? nakeds for town type roads? and tyres and suspension settings would affect handling too wouldnt they? + handle bars, sitting position ect.....alcahol consumption
Old 13th January 2007, 11:24 AM
WSB Contender

505 posts since Sep 2006

Originally Posted by RoxtarAl
Ned, mate, what fucking drugs are you on....
Nah, I've kicked the speed drug thing. Back to real bikes. You should try it.
(Peace man, each to his own )
Old 13th January 2007, 11:31 AM
WSB Contender

505 posts since Sep 2006

Originally Posted by zooleire

are there many trailies that you can get on a provisional license??
Dunno what the provisional scene is. When I started you could ride a full power 250 (about 25hp). Look at the Varadero 125. Is there still a Yamaha TDR 125?
Old 13th January 2007, 06:35 PM
Fast, Very Fast and Ninja

Biker.ie Member No. 3614 from Oil and copper grease
6,773 posts since Aug 2006
Motorbike: Ducati 600, Kwack KLE500 and ZX9R E1 Ninja
Modifications: Steel brake hoses, heated handlebar grips and battery recharger. Life is good.

Originally Posted by Ned Flanders
At least try a trailie. At any speed under 60kmph they blow away any sportsbike for sharp turning. Part of the reason is that your wrists are relaxed, whereas they're under stress on a sportsbike due to the stupid riding position. You can change direction quicker. A sportsbike encourages you to lean into a corner, a trailie encourages opposite lean. Opposite lean is preferable to leaning in a low speeds because you change your position easier, especially if either of the tyres begin to slide. Mistakes are easier to correct.

There are plenty more reasons why trailies handle better than sportbikes at low speed: skinny tyres, massive steering lock, ability to move your weight easily fore and aft, high centre of gravity, low rev torque.

I went from a vfr to a small trailie, and never looked back.
Amen to that.
And you can always borrow a Fireblade for a spin in the Summer.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
bike, sports