Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Old 6th October 2018, 07:33 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35154
7 posts since Aug 2015
Motorbike: BMW R60/5
Default BMW R60/5 Search

Hi All,
Iím trying to track down a BMW R60/5 which once belonged to my father. He brought it over from Holland to Ireland in 1980. I have no details of the year/registration/chassis number, but I know it was first imported into Ireland by a man called Paul Curley, than sold to a James Thompson, who than sold it to a man from Limerick. If anyone out there has owned a bike with those names on the registration cert, I would love to hear from you.
With thanks, Boudi
Old 6th October 2018, 07:38 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

7 posts since Aug 2015
Default Re: BMW R60/5 Search

Hereís a photo of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40F98163-BECB-41F6-AAD6-32C3E3010CB1.jpg (57.7 KB)
Old 6th October 2018, 08:24 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 25509 from Clare/Limerick
1,521 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: VFR 750, Moto Guzzi V50

I know of one in Limerick. I can make enquiries. Did your father bring it from Holland, is he Dutch?
Any idea of colour of bike?

Last edited by vifferman; 6th October 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:43 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,763 posts since Dec 2011

Is that you on the back? Good luck in your search
Old 10th October 2018, 08:53 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

7 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by vifferman
I know of one in Limerick. I can make enquiries. Did your father bring it from Holland, is he Dutch?
Any idea of colour of bike?
Hi. I appreciate that. Yes, my dad is Dutch and brought it over from Holland, but he never imported it. It was black as shown in the photo. Many thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 08:55 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

7 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by green grass
Is that you on the back? Good luck in your search
Thanks. For years I thought that was me on the back. Turns out it was one of my buddyís. I was gutted when I found out :-)
Old 10th October 2018, 09:31 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,910 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by Mountshannonman
Thanks. For years I thought that was me on the back. Turns out it was one of my buddy’s. I was gutted when I found out :-)
a feck Im heartbroken for you, i thought it was you, good luck in your search, its a small world and an even smaller country so you never know
Old 10th October 2018, 10:03 PM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by Mountshannonman
Hi. I appreciate that. Yes, my dad is Dutch and brought it over from Holland, but he never imported it. It was black as shown in the photo. Many thanks
I asked him, but he brought his in from Northern Ireland. Ironically, he knows a Dutch bloke in Mountshannon who has one. There's another one up near Flagmount. He knows a lot of bikers from that era and said he'd ask around if you can get more info. Are you in Mountshannon?
Where was the bike sold in Ireland. How do you know the two names on the logbook and any idea where they're from.
Old 13th October 2018, 09:35 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

7 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by vifferman
I asked him, but he brought his in from Northern Ireland. Ironically, he knows a Dutch bloke in Mountshannon who has one. There's another one up near Flagmount. He knows a lot of bikers from that era and said he'd ask around if you can get more info. Are you in Mountshannon?
Where was the bike sold in Ireland. How do you know the two names on the logbook and any idea where they're from.
Hi. Yes, I grew up in Mountshannon. I know of one Dutch guy with an old BMW there, but itís not an R60/5. My dad lived in Portumna, Co.Galway and used to sell vegetables in the Galway market. He sold it to a chap he met on the market. Long story short, I heard about a guy who said he bought my dads bike. I got in touch and managed to track down the next two guys who owned it. The last guy was originally based in Galway, but ended up in Kerry. He listed the bike and a guy from Limerick showed up and bought it. But Iíve no name, and no more details. So Iím hoping thereís someone out there who knows something, because the previous owners are getting seriously annoyed with me at this stage because I keep emailing them asking them to check if theyíve any photos with a reg number. Thanks for making enquirers
Old 13th October 2018, 10:02 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,763 posts since Dec 2011

Ah I doubt any previous owner would be annoyed with you. Anyone with any compassion or humanity in them would love to be of help to you.
Old 14th October 2018, 07:16 PM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by Mountshannonman View Post
..... The last guy was originally based in Galway, but ended up in Kerry. He listed the bike and a guy from Limerick showed up and bought it.
Is that James Thompson that you mentioned earlier and any idea when he sold the bike?
Old 14th October 2018, 09:39 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

7 posts since Aug 2015

Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
Is that James Thompson that you mentioned earlier and any idea when he sold the bike?
Yes, it was he who sold it to a man who said he was from Limerick. I believe he said it was around Ď97, but I can get back in touch with him to confirm. I know itís madness to be looking for it, but itís kind of mad Iíve gotten this far. I tracked down the first guy by tracking down a guy he used to know through a website for a group he used to work with, the second guy through a description of a house he once lived in, and the third guy because the second remembered what company he worked for, and turned out one of my colleagues worked for the same company, and had seen the bike. So at this stage, Iím going to keep searching.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Tags
bmw, r60 or 5, search