Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Old 28th July 2018, 07:26 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38458
56 posts since Jul 2018
Motorbike: Kawasaki ER6F
Default Interested in a bike.

Hey guys, I've been really interested in getting started biking and learning how to ride and what not lately it's all I think about and how fun it would be, however anyone I mention to that I'd love to get a motorbike tells me "It's too dangerous, I'll seriously hurt myself If I get one". Not 1 person has supported me in getting one yet. Now I'm 23 years old, I've had my full car license since 18 and I definitely understand the risks of getting a bike not only to myself but to other road users around me and vice versa. The bike I've been looking at is the Kawasaki Ninja 250 for starting off which I think would be a perfect starter bike for me to learn on. Has anyone had a similar experience in which everyone told you to not get a bike and you still did? And could anyone shine some light on the whole process of getting started? I know I need to do a theory test and get the lessons and then wait 6 months?
Old 28th July 2018, 11:59 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,652 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on
Default Re: Interested in a bike.

Welcome to the asylum, dont mind the naysayers biking is what you make it, yes its dangerous but so is everything ultimately, do plenty of training, start off well and you increase your chances of both safety and enjoyment, its a fooking wonderful hobby hope you enjoy every minute of it.
Cant help you about lgbt etc, im too fookin old, biking legally since 1982 and a couple of years before that illegally lol.
Old 29th July 2018, 01:42 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs
Welcome to the asylum, dont mind the naysayers biking is what you make it, yes its dangerous but so is everything ultimately, do plenty of training, start off well and you increase your chances of both safety and enjoyment, its a fooking wonderful hobby hope you enjoy every minute of it.
Cant help you about lgbt etc, im too fookin old, biking legally since 1982 and a couple of years before that illegally lol.
Thank you! I really do hope to get started asap, I'll do my theory and all lgbt training before I look at buying my own bike! Another question I have is what mileage is considered high mileage on a bike in particular the Kawasaki Ninja 250? I see one for sale with 25000 miles for 2800 euro. Is 25000 miles considered on the high end or the low end of the spectrum or how much mileage can one expect their bike to get to considering its well maintained and serviced? Again in particular to the Ninja 250 if anyone has one!
Old 29th July 2018, 01:55 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,730 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Originally Posted by Aato
Hey guys, I've been really interested in getting started biking and learning how to ride and what not lately it's all I think about and how fun it would be, however anyone I mention to that I'd love to get a motorbike tells me "It's too dangerous, I'll seriously hurt myself If I get one". Not 1 person has supported me in getting one yet. Now I'm 23 years old, I've had my full car license since 18 and I definitely understand the risks of getting a bike not only to myself but to other road users around me and vice versa. The bike I've been looking at is the Kawasaki Ninja 250 for starting off which I think would be a perfect starter bike for me to learn on. Has anyone had a similar experience in which everyone told you to not get a bike and you still did? And could anyone shine some light on the whole process of getting started? I know I need to do a theory test and get the lessons and then wait 6 months?

Well you have a head start on some , you have on road experience , not on a bike but you have some, that puts you in a better position, with the proper training you could become an excellent motorcycle rider, the Garda trainers would prefer to get a complete novice bike rider so that they can train you from scratch, to eliminate bad habits that can creep in.

So i would go for it if you want to, there is a fair expense in the whole process and training will be most of that, but well worth it.
Old 29th July 2018, 01:59 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by The Road Runner
Well you have a head start on some , you have on road experience , not on a bike but you have some, that puts you in a better position, with the proper training you could become an excellent motorcycle rider, the Garda trainers would prefer to get a complete novice bike rider so that they can train you from scratch, to eliminate bad habits that can creep in.

So i would go for it if you want to, there is a fair expense in the whole process and training will be most of that, but well worth it.
Exactly! I'd have no problem with spending money on training or the proper safety gear as it's very important. What do you mean by Garda Training? Can you get trained by them after you've done your lgbt also?
Old 29th July 2018, 04:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,730 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Exactly! I'd have no problem with spending money on training or the proper safety gear as it's very important. What do you mean by Garda Training? Can you get trained by them after you've done your lgbt also?
Garda recruits hoping to proceed to motorcycle section,,,,,,,,,,
Old 30th July 2018, 09:17 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,924 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA

Don't forget to ring around for insurance quotes on the Ninja 250 before you buy one - be prepared to be quoted silly numbers, or not given a quote even
Old 30th July 2018, 06:40 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by renniks
Don't forget to ring around for insurance quotes on the Ninja 250 before you buy one - be prepared to be quoted silly numbers, or not given a quote even
I've actually already got a quote off Liberty Insurance for around 1000 euro fully comprehensive for a beginner which I don't think seems to bad, does it?
Old 30th July 2018, 06:49 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35359
185 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: pointy SV650s
Modifications: heated exhaust, sunroof

That's a bad quote my first was 480 on an sv650 at 21. I'm 23 now 282 euro
Old 30th July 2018, 06:58 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by frozen
That's a bad quote my first was 480 on an sv650 at 21. I'm 23 now 282 euro
Ok I'll definitely have to ring around so when the time comes! Have my theory test booked for August 25th its the closest weekend I could get I know everyone says the theory test is easy but any tips to make sure I get it first time? What are the motorbike specific questions?
Old 30th July 2018, 10:01 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 38094 from Dublin
23 posts since Mar 2018
Motorbike: YN50 Neos
Modifications: None

Ok I'll definitely have to ring around so when the time comes! Have my theory test booked for August 25th its the closest weekend I could get I know everyone says the theory test is easy but any tips to make sure I get it first time? What are the motorbike specific questions?
Free app, 'Driver Theory Test Ireland'

Google this, it had a section for motorcycle

Is all I used and I scored 38/40

Mostly common sense but the app shouted you some motorcycle specific questions, it was very useful to me

Good luck chief 👍
Old 31st July 2018, 08:44 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by Dralex72
Free app, 'Driver Theory Test Ireland'

Google this, it had a section for motorcycle

Is all I used and I scored 38/40

Mostly common sense but the app shouted you some motorcycle specific questions, it was very useful to me

Good luck chief 👍
Thank you! I'm going to ring tomorrow to see if I can get in on someones cancellation or something to get it done quicker. Also this may sound strange but do any of you have any tips for convincing someone getting a bike is ok? Mainly my dad, I know I'm 23 and don't need his permission but I really want him to be ok with it or at least be supportive of it to make me feel a little better (Even though I know he probably wont support it right away).
Old 1st August 2018, 01:35 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 4145 from Cork
334 posts since Dec 2006
Motorbike: ZXR400 SP, VFR 800, V50
Modifications: Blue Flame exhaust

Thank you! I'm going to ring tomorrow to see if I can get in on someones cancellation or something to get it done quicker. Also this may sound strange but do any of you have any tips for convincing someone getting a bike is ok? Mainly my dad, I know I'm 23 and don't need his permission but I really want him to be ok with it or at least be supportive of it to make me feel a little better (Even though I know he probably wont support it right away).
Tell him it's either a bike or a violin.....on repeat

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=244895

Or you could do like I did, but the bike gear and insurance all on a friday coming home from work, go on the piss for the weekend with the bike in the yard (give it a day or two) and by the time you're back he's used to seeing it around at least!!
Old 1st October 2018, 09:07 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Hey guys! It's been a while since a last updated so I thought I'd update this now. So I went and did my theory test and got 38/40 passed! Next I went and applied for the provisional license at NDLS now this is the part that confused me because the guy working there said I was legible for the A License even though I'm 23 years old and you have to be 24? Is it the fact I'm almost 24 that they let me have it? So basically I'm going to book my lessons this week and get that done and then hopefully buy my first bike after that! The question I have now is what bikes can I ride on a provisional license what's the restrictions for it? I was so set on getting the A2 license because I thought I couldn't get the A yet but it's worked out even better for me now! Cheers.
Old 1st October 2018, 09:08 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Hey guys! It's been a while since a last updated so I thought I'd update this now. So I went and did my theory test and got 38/40 passed! Next I went and applied for the provisional license at NDLS now this is the part that confused me because the guy working there said I was legible for the A License even though I'm 23 years old and you have to be 24? Is it the fact I'm almost 24 that they let me have it? So basically I'm going to book my lessons this week and get that done and then hopefully buy my first bike after that! The question I have now is what bikes can I ride on the category A provisional license what's the restrictions for it? I was so set on getting the A2 license because I thought I couldn't get the A yet but it's worked out even better for me now! Cheers.
Old 1st October 2018, 10:58 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
132 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: ZX6R Ninja 636 - 2005

If you have a cat A then there are no restrictions.
I started biking last year on a SV650S and people said it was beginner friendly etc.
In my opinion, there is nothing beginner friendly about a 650cc torquey twin. Yes the power output in the grand scheme of things, on paper is low, but that does not make them easy to ride for a beginner. I've been that soldier. But it can be done.

Everyone will tell you it's dangerous bla bla. You need to be switched on and fall in love with high quality riding. Analyse your performance after each ride. Enjoy the speed and the awesome experience only a bike can bring, but never ever, ever, ride to a point where ya doubt your skill. If you doubt your skill, your riding beyond your limits.
When you get a bike, get out there and feel it. Feel the machine. What it does, how it falls into corners, how it stops. The machine is an extension of you. That's the beauty of biking.

And at anytime on a bike, if in doubt, ease off the throttle. If you think ya need to tighten a bend, lean a little more.
Ignore the Yanks and their "knee down" stuff. It's the quickest way to A&E.

Have fun and be safe.
Again, I'll repeat, always ride within your limits.
Old 1st October 2018, 11:35 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38217 from Dublin and Longwood
54 posts since May 2018
Motorbike: 99 gsxf600/91 honda bros

Hey guys! It's been a while since a last updated so I thought I'd update this now. So I went and did my theory test and got 38/40 passed! Next I went and applied for the provisional license at NDLS now this is the part that confused me because the guy working there said I was legible for the A License even though I'm 23 years old and you have to be 24? Is it the fact I'm almost 24 that they let me have it? So basically I'm going to book my lessons this week and get that done and then hopefully buy my first bike after that! The question I have now is what bikes can I ride on the category A provisional license what's the restrictions for it? I was so set on getting the A2 license because I thought I couldn't get the A yet but it's worked out even better for me now! Cheers.
Happy days pal best thing I've done was finally bite the bullet and cure the itch I had for getting a bike.

My folks and girlfriend were against it and didn't get much support from them at first but I just done the same as my tattoos just went and got one came home with it one day and there grand with it now and my 18 month old son it motorbike mad and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Be safe and always watch out for other motorists expect the unexpected but main thing is enjoy every minute of it its a great feeling to be out on the road.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:00 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Thanks guys! And yeah I have no intentions on starting on a 600cc+ bike, I still have my mind set on a Kawasaki Ninja 250. Rang for lgbt lessons today and it's looking my first day will be on the 18th of this month all going well! Super excited to get started and to learn and improve to become are really good rider. I'd rather start on a 250cc bike and learn the in's and outs than to start on a 600cc and be kind of overwhelmed.
Old 2nd October 2018, 03:59 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
427 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SV650K5 & ZRX1200R
Modifications: Eh.......

But you'll need to complete your I.B.T. on a category 'A' motorcycle and attempt to pass a test on the same sort of bike if you apply for a category 'A' licence.

There's little point applying for the full 'A' licence if you're not going to get the right bike for the job.

Personally I found the SV650 to be as sweet as a nut in terms of a first-time bike. I did the I.B.T. on one of the trainer's Fazer6 bikes and then passed my test on an ZRX1200R a year later.

I couldn't do the test on my SV650N as it wasn't heavy enough. So I HAD TO go and buy the 1200. I'd no choice, honest.

A fully faired SV650S is eligible for the A test.

Last edited by pedrosixfour; 2nd October 2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:55 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by pedrosixfour
But you'll need to complete your I.B.T. on a category 'A' motorcycle and attempt to pass a test on the same sort of bike if you apply for a category 'A' licence.

There's little point applying for the full 'A' licence if you're not going to get the right bike for the job.

Personally I found the SV650 to be as sweet as a nut in terms of a first-time bike. I did the I.B.T. on one of the trainer's Fazer6 bikes and then passed my test on an ZRX1200R a year later.

I couldn't do the test on my SV650N as it wasn't heavy enough. So I HAD TO go and buy the 1200. I'd no choice, honest.

A fully faired SV650S is eligible for the A test.
It would make sense to get a bike that's legible for the test but is it not better to learn on a less powerful bike? Or would it be ok to start on a 600cc?

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
bike, interested