Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,950 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Default Re: Interested in a bike.

Originally Posted by Aato
Think I'll get a Moped instead
Do yourself a favor lad,ignore all the shite on this thread..
Get yourself a Kwaker 250 and use it for a year.Build up a ncb and work into a bigger bike.
You don't have to do your test immediately,in fact the longer you leave it the better.
I know you want a big bike so you can feel like a real biker but the amount of guys who make that mistake is unreal.
They mostly end up frightening themselves and give up.
Also don't mind lads saying you'll get bored of a small bike,if you do,just sell it
there's always demand for 250s so you wont be married to it.
As much as training is a good thing,there's no substitute for experience and that can't be bought.
I've no experience of SV650s but the amount of lads looking for engines for them would put me right off.
Best of luck on your journey and have fun,remember that's what its about.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:41 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 38458
56 posts since Jul 2018
Motorbike: Kawasaki ER6F

Originally Posted by Vjmc.Cork
Do yourself a favor lad,ignore all the shite on this thread..
Get yourself a Kwaker 250 and use it for a year.Build up a ncb and work into a bigger bike.
You don't have to do your test immediately,in fact the longer you leave it the better.
I know you want a big bike so you can feel like a real biker but the amount of guys who make that mistake is unreal.
They mostly end up frightening themselves and give up.
Also don't mind lads saying you'll get bored of a small bike,if you do,just sell it
there's always demand for 250s so you wont be married to it.
As much as training is a good thing,there's no substitute for experience and that can't be bought.
I've no experience of SV650s but the amount of lads looking for engines for them would put me right off.
Best of luck on your journey and have fun,remember that's what its about.
You could be right here....my gut is telling me to start with a 250cc I don't know why plus the Ninja 250 is a really good looking bike. Maybe I'll just get one and when I feel the timing is right I'll upgrade and as you said a 250cc will always be sought after. I see some real nice clean low mileage ones on Donedeal so I'm very interested. First things first lgbt on Wednesday and I cant wait booked the day off work for it! I'll see how that goes and if it builds the urge even more and I'll make a decision then. Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:31 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Hi Guys, completed my lgbt the other week and it was an absolute blast. Started on a 125cc the first day and moved up to a 650cc the next and felt super comfortable on it. It has completely changed my mind about what bike to start on and I'm very interested in a 650cc now, most likely the Kawasaki ER6F. So now that everything is complete I guess its time to shop for some gear and get myself a bike! Is it a good time of year to be buying a bike seems we're coming into the dark evenings and cold nights? Like how often will I get to ride it if I go ahead and buy one? Is it worth buying now and riding when I can or waiting until decent weather comes back around?
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:12 PM
green grass

Buy now.
Old 4th November 2018, 12:08 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by green grass
Buy now.
I think you're right. Is it true they're cheaper during the winter?
Old 4th November 2018, 01:34 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,950 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Is it true they're cheaper during the winter?
Yes and no.Not so many people looking to buy in winter so if a guy is trying to shift something he may get nervous and take a low-ball offer for a quick sale.
On the other hand lots of guys wait till spring to sell so they'll get better money.
On the other other hand there's demand for winter hack type yokes so small cheap stuff sells well at this time of year.
Old 4th November 2018, 03:31 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36676
190 posts since Oct 2016
Motorbike: Ducati Hypermotard 939sp

Originally Posted by Vjmc.Cork
Yes and no.Not so many people looking to buy in winter so if a guy is trying to shift something he may get nervous and take a low-ball offer for a quick sale.
On the other hand lots of guys wait till spring to sell so they'll get better money.
On the other other hand there's demand for winter hack type yokes so small cheap stuff sells well at this time of year.
Thank god you've only two hands or we'd be here all day
Old 4th November 2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36294 from the big smoke
2,987 posts since Jun 2016
Motorbike: bicycle
Modifications: big belly

Can i ask whats happening ?
Zx6r is a great bike 🤗
Old 5th November 2018, 09:00 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Thanks for replies lads. I was also considering the idea of buying from UK and getting it transported back here as the condition of the bikes in UK look mint. Is this a fairly straight forward process as far as transport company, VRT etc? Even the dealerships are selling the ER6F over there for just as much as a private one in Ireland.
Old 6th November 2018, 08:31 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32618 from Co Cork
159 posts since Jan 2014
Motorbike: FJR 1300

It's a fairly straight forward process once you are confident in the bike you are buying. If you're buying without actually seeing the bike, you're really putting a lot of trust in the description from the seller. Having said that I've bought 3 bikes from the UK and didn't see any of them in the flesh (metal?) until they were delivered to me and I haven't had any issues. The big advantage is the range and quantity of bikes available.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:18 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 38487
31 posts since Aug 2018

Hi all, If you want to get bike from uk where is the best place to look at please?
I mean which sites? Do they use something similar as here? The famous DD?
Cheers
Old 6th November 2018, 09:30 AM
green grass

Originally Posted by Jaskin71
Hi all, If you want to get bike from uk where is the best place to look at please?
I mean which sites? Do they use something similar as here? The famous DD?
Cheers
Get busy on the internet. Start looking up dealerships FB pages or websites...and the more you look the more you will find. Pop a couple of buzz words into Google "Yamaha FZ8 for sale UK" or replace with whatever bike tickles your fancy.....and you'll see differemt dealers pop up....Start looking on their pages...and so on and so on. That's what I do.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:11 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 38487
31 posts since Aug 2018

Will do. cheers
Old 6th November 2018, 10:33 AM
One Armed Git

Biker.ie Member No. 12895 from Swords
1,763 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few

Jiri www.motorcyclenews.com (MCN magazine) is a good website for looking for bikes for sale all over UK and you can check out the magazines review of most of them as well on their website
Old 6th November 2018, 02:40 PM
Supporter

159 posts since Jan 2014

Autotrader.co.uk bike section is also a good option. You'll also see some decent bikes on eBay (from private sellers mainly.)
Old 6th November 2018, 06:27 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

I'd be buying from a dealership so hopefully the ad would be genuine on how they describe the bike. What's the transport like I've researched a few companies so far which are Ted's Trucking or MB Transport. Any experience with these? What's the prices like?
Old 6th November 2018, 06:31 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,536 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

I'd be buying from a dealership so hopefully the ad would be genuine on how they describe the bike. What's the transport like I've researched a few companies so far which are Ted's Trucking or MB Transport. Any experience with these? What's the prices like?
Would you not try and source something here? Are you 100% settled on a 650?

As a first time bike i'd say you should try get something in "Used" condition. No point spending 1000's on a really pristine bike and dropping it on ice/frost.

Get a cheaper bike - cut your teeth on that then upgrade to something nice.

UK is great for bikes but doesnt save a lot unless your spending big.
Old 6th November 2018, 08:00 PM
Novice Racer

56 posts since Jul 2018

Originally Posted by manbearpig
Would you not try and source something here? Are you 100% settled on a 650?

As a first time bike i'd say you should try get something in "Used" condition. No point spending 1000's on a really pristine bike and dropping it on ice/frost.

Get a cheaper bike - cut your teeth on that then upgrade to something nice.

UK is great for bikes but doesnt save a lot unless your spending big.

I think I am settled on the 650, I rode this bike on my lgbt training and everything felt right. The sporty look yet comfortable riding position and not an overwhelming amount of power. My other option was a SV650 but I've never rode on before and there's not many fully faired ones on the market here. I'd be looking at a 2011/2012 ER6F with less than 10k miles in UK. I want a bike that I'm happy with mechanically but also cosmetically and I think the ER6F ticks those boxes.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:22 AM
Supporter

159 posts since Jan 2014

I've used Ted's Trucking twice and a gentleman named Philip Gunn on another occasion. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending either. 320 was the most I paid but that might fluctuate slightly depending where in the UK they are collecting from and delivering to.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32015
579 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: Honda cbr 600f

I just used a company called j and m motorcycle services.

http://www.collectmybike.co.uk/contact.html

270 euros from Norwich to Dublin.

You'll also need to arrange an exchange of euros to sterling. Revoult card, currency fair etc needed or just simple credit card sale but you'll save a bit using the above.

Then you'll need to vrt it here.
https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...tax/index.aspx

Depending on how much your willing to spend you'll save more than on a cheaper purchase obviously but it may not be worth it all.

Best of luck with it.
Steve

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
bike, interested