Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 8th October 2018, 02:23 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 35785 from Dublin
33 posts since Feb 2016
Motorbike: 2002 VFR800 FI-1
Default Big Shout Out

A big thanks to the lads who stopped to help when I broke down in Blessington yesterday morning. A few bikers in cages sropped and a local lad even offered me a lift back to Lucky it was in Blessington and not miles out. Battery died suddenly the dreaded reg/rec problem I'm guessing. Anybody got suggestions on how to dianose the problem?
Old 8th October 2018, 08:50 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25910
566 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: CBR1100XX3, CBR900RRW
Default Re: Big Shout Out

Start with charging the battery fully then start it and see what voltage you have at a out 4k rpm. If should be something like 14v.

Failing that you need to test the stator, and if it is OK you need to replace the r/r.

If you have 14v it could be the battery failing.

Assuming it is one of the most common issues...
Old 8th October 2018, 10:34 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 36371 from Dublin16
70 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: SuzukiGS550
Modifications: none

Had the same problem a while back, the battery on my Transalp suddenly died,oddly enough, the bike started on the button at 10 am, but later on about 2pm after a lunch stop,there was barely a click from the starter motor, nothing for it but a push start ( no fun on a bike as big as the Alp) The problem was simply old age, the battery being more than 5 years old. They can go suddenly, without any warning signs.
Old 10th October 2018, 01:19 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

33 posts since Feb 2016

Thaks for the advice. I've no garage so I have to wait until saturday to work on this.Battery is six months old, so I'm guessing rectifier. But I'll carry out the checks you recommend to make sure. I'll update the situation in the workshop. Thanks.
Old 10th October 2018, 01:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2683 from The seventh ring...
2,514 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: VF1000 F, ZXR-R
Modifications: Total loss fucks system

If you look up in Youtube there's lots of tutorials as to how to check both the reg/rec and the stator.

My reg/rec died recently and when i check it all out, it was because one stator output was weird and fried it.

However, I managed to get a Chinese pattern stator for €50 delivered and a reg/rec from David Silvers and she has been bulletproof since. I'd imagine your CB and my VF are fairly close in terms of tech.
Old 19th October 2018, 11:49 AM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

33 posts since Feb 2016

Reg/Rec delivered at 10:00. Fitted and tested by 11:00. Delivering 14.3 volts so all good. One thing I've learned is not to do too much Internet searching, I had myself convinced she needed major surgery. Thanks for the help lads. Off for a spin up the Wicklow Gap now, Gatso Vans permitting.
Old 19th October 2018, 06:18 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,946 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre

Originally Posted by baseplate
Reg/Rec delivered at 10:00. Fitted and tested by 11:00. Delivering 14.3 volts so all good. One thing I've learned is not to do too much Internet searching, I had myself convinced she needed major surgery. Thanks for the help lads. Off for a spin up the Wicklow Gap now, Gatso Vans permitting.
You need to remember when you google a problem like that,all you're getting is someone's opinion
which may or may not be based on fact.The answers I've seen for some issues is frankly comical.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
big, shout