Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Reply
 
  #21  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:12 PM
xt500mad xt500mad is offline
MotoGP Star
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30228 from Clonmel Co. Tipp
773 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: A blast of XT500's
Modifications: Supermoto'd
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by muzz_mm
A Ninja 250r would be a great alternative, many thanks for your help and advice!
One way or another i'll be trying to pick up a few

But look all the best with the hornet

if your happy take it
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:21 PM
manbearpig's Avatar
manbearpig manbearpig is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,536 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by muzz_mm
Thanks very much for your help. Yeah the age of the bike is a big factor so I have so hesitations. I'll try and arrange Doherty Motorcycles to have a look at the bike for me, thanks!
I'd advise not buying the hornet and moving up the years if you can. Buying a bigger bike doesnt mean you're going to be doing 100mph down the road.

A newer machine wont have as many issues down the line - at that year I would be worried about the fork seals, rad issues, exhaust rot etc etc

Has is been kept up? Last time it had a proper service? Not just oil - I mean the whole lot, forks serviced, coolant flush, brakes serviced. . . you can see how this is going to add up.

Go for the SV or buy the ninja 250 up the years
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:23 PM
Interceptor
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by xt500mad
Unless you want from my stock a xt500 ts185 pe175 rd350lc xr250
Any RGV250???
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:26 PM
muzz_mm muzz_mm is offline
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 38574
41 posts since Sep 2018
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by manbearpig
I'd advise not buying the hornet and moving up the years if you can. Buying a bigger bike doesnt mean you're going to be doing 100mph down the road.

A newer machine wont have as many issues down the line - at that year I would be worried about the fork seals, rad issues, exhaust rot etc etc

Has is been kept up? Last time it had a proper service? Not just oil - I mean the whole lot, forks serviced, coolant flush, brakes serviced. . . you can see how this is going to add up.

Go for the SV or buy the ninja 250 up the years
Thanks for the response.

You're right, a more modern bike might be a safer bet. And parts for a Hornet 250 will be a struggle to find no doubt.

The Hornet just seems like a great bike and an ideal bike to learn on. I want something with a bit of power and a big rear wheel and the Hornet ticks those boxes. It seems like a fun bike
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:27 PM
xt500mad xt500mad is offline
MotoGP Star
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30228 from Clonmel Co. Tipp
773 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: A blast of XT500's
Modifications: Supermoto'd
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by manbearpig
I'd advise not buying the hornet and moving up the years if you can. Buying a bigger bike doesnt mean you're going to be doing 100mph down the road.

A newer machine wont have as many issues down the line - at that year I would be worried about the fork seals, rad issues, exhaust rot etc etc

Has is been kept up? Last time it had a proper service? Not just oil - I mean the whole lot, forks serviced, coolant flush, brakes serviced. . . you can see how this is going to add up.

Go for the SV or buy the ninja 250 up the years
I disagree with ya
I'm not trying to push a bike on this lad but if a bike is looked after, OK which you have to find out is the problem, I have 40 year old xt500's and they better than some 10 year old thrashed buckets of shite
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:29 PM
xt500mad xt500mad is offline
MotoGP Star
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30228 from Clonmel Co. Tipp
773 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: A blast of XT500's
Modifications: Supermoto'd
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by muzz_mm
Thanks for the response.

You're right, a more modern bike might be a safer bet. And parts for a Hornet 250 will be a struggle to find no doubt.

The Hornet just seems like a great bike and an ideal bike to learn on. I want something with a bit of power and a big rear wheel and the Hornet ticks those boxes. It seems like a fun bike
Log out lad and go and look at the hornet and as i said if your happy take it

If you keep listening to people as we all have different views you'll never end up buying a fucking bike
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:36 PM
muzz_mm muzz_mm is offline
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 38574
41 posts since Sep 2018
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by xt500mad
Log out lad and go and look at the hornet and as i said if your happy take it

If you keep listening to people as we all have different views you'll never end up buying a fucking bike
That is exactly what I wanted to hear, you are preaching to the choir here. I've been all over Dublin looking for advice and it seems to come down to the person's own history of bikes. "Get a 600", "600s are far too big", "Get a CBF250", "The CBF250s are shite", "Get a Hornet 250", "Hornet 250s are too old and you won't get parts"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 4th October 2018, 09:49 PM
manbearpig's Avatar
manbearpig manbearpig is offline
MotoGP Legend
 
Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,536 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by xt500mad
Log out lad and go and look at the hornet and as i said if your happy take it

If you keep listening to people as we all have different views you'll never end up buying a fucking bike
Maybe I didn't explain myself well - I mentioned the fork seals, springs, and rads etc etc

Most Irish bikes don't have any service history at all - 100% agree that a 20 year old machine can be better than even a 5 year old yoke but it all depends on how its been looked after.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 4th October 2018, 10:08 PM
Vjmc.Cork's Avatar
Vjmc.Cork Vjmc.Cork is offline
Biker.ie old-skool
 
Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,947 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by manbearpig
Maybe I didn't explain myself well - I mentioned the fork seals, springs, and rads etc etc

Most Irish bikes don't have any service history at all - 100% agree that a 20 year old machine can be better than even a 5 year old yoke but it all depends on how its been looked after.
All a service history means is the oil was changed
That's assuming it's genuine.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 5th October 2018, 08:36 AM
xt500mad xt500mad is offline
MotoGP Star
 
Biker.ie Member No. 30228 from Clonmel Co. Tipp
773 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: A blast of XT500's
Modifications: Supermoto'd
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Any RGV250???
Sold one about 4 weeks ago but as usual it went to the UK
lads here want them for nothing

I don't bother to advertise them here to be honest

I've a rd250lc rd350 ypvs ts185 pe175 TT500 going to the uk next week

Sorry to say
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 5th October 2018, 09:49 AM
Blanchy Blanchy is offline
Wobbling Fledgling
 
Biker.ie Member No. 37400
7 posts since Jun 2017
Motorbike: SV650s
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by xt500mad
Fking hell

I'd sell ya a 2011 SV650 for that kinda money
Any details on the sv? I'm tempted haha
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 5th October 2018, 10:46 PM
gamma592 gamma592 is offline
Novice Racer
 
Biker.ie Member No. 9593
54 posts since Apr 2008
Motorbike: RG 500
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Hi there,

You won't go too far wrong with the Hornet 250 if it has been reasonably well looked after by the previous owner.

They are a lovely little bike. Easy to ride, very well put together with a good strong engine.

I imported 3 of them in a container from Japan a few years back and their new owners were all thrilled with them!

A nice one of them will always make good money as they are scarce to find.

Best of luck anyway with whatever you decide
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 6th October 2018, 08:44 AM
T_Bone T_Bone is offline
Supporter
 
Biker.ie Member No. 37419 from Wicklow
115 posts since Jun 2017
Default Re: Mechanics in Waterford this Sunday?

Originally Posted by xt500mad
Sold one about 4 weeks ago but as usual it went to the UK
lads here want them for nothing

I don't bother to advertise them here to be honest

I've a rd250lc rd350 ypvs ts185 pe175 TT500 going to the uk next week

Sorry to say
What sites in the UK do you advertise on?
How does it work regarding viewing the bikes?
Who pays for shipping?
How is UK import duty calculated?
I've a bike I want to advertise in the UK next year.
Just as you say, lads here want you to give them away.

Just wondering how to go about it.

Last edited by T_Bone; 6th October 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
mechanics, sunday, waterford


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday Golf col64f Jokes, Pics & Flics 0 24th October 2006 07:44 PM
a usefull spin on sunday oct 22nd zOU Ride-out meets and events 32 23rd October 2006 11:45 PM
Friday Fun Liamo Off Topic 17 29th September 2006 02:49 PM
Sunday Bike Repairs petrol head Useful Motorbike Links 9 11th September 2006 10:49 PM
Sunday 25th Spin From Waterford City rampage125cc Ride-out meets and events 1 23rd June 2006 06:48 PM


Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed