Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 15th September 2018, 11:22 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,878 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)
Default K&N Air Filter cleaning kit

I was quoted and asked for a deposit of a score towards it for them to order , 45.99 was the cost , this was a good while back so I said fuck it not a chance Found it on ebay for 11.29 incl postage (address pal)

big fooken difference , I have spent a fair few penny's in the shop the past 17 years but that was madness, I didnt know at first till i checked around and tb h it was a good bit ago but on ebay 12quid delivered including the addresspal charge, they really fuck over Irish businesses on whatever import takes they use.

ebay price

Last edited by acdc; 16th September 2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spel&loc
Old 16th September 2018, 08:06 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 25426 from CORK, like, boi.
275 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: r1200r, klr650, tzr125,++
Modifications: pipe,slippers, cappucino
Default Re: K&N Air Filter cleaning kit

Originally Posted by acdc View Post
I was quoted and asked for a deposit of a score towards it for them to order , 45.99 was the cost , this was a good while back so I said fuck it not a chance Found it on ebay for 11.29 incl postage (address pal)

big fooken difference , I have spent a fair few penny's in the shop the past 17 years but that was madness, I didnt know at first till i checked around and tb h it was a good bit ago but on ebay 12quid delivered including the addresspal charge, they really fuck over Irish businesses on whatever import takes they use.

ebay price

I wont say where but city center shop and you can smell Heineken brewing lol
and if anyone calls me out , I swear on my sons soul
I have no doubt whatsoever that anything bike related...parts, gear, helmets, boots etc....can be got online for way,way less than almost any bike shop in the ROI. Partly this is due to us living in a country with a smaller population than, say, the Greater Manchester area, so no volume discounts. Our VAT rate is a bit higher too and our bike shops have to cover their shipping costs too.

Are our shops ripping us off? Maybe, maybe not. They have to cover their other costs......wages, rent, insurance, rates, etc. on a small volume of sales, both new and s/h bikes, and parts and gear and accessories.
The internet in the last 20 years or so has made us all aware of the savings to be had with online shopping, which is all well and good if you can do all your own servicing and repairs. But it's a Catch 22 situation....if we all shop online, then our bike shops will either go to the wall, or up their service and repairs charges to stay open.
Old 16th September 2018, 11:12 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25910
533 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: CBR900RRW

A rain coat costing 49 in a shop with a big window front, 23 delivered from Germany. I would be willing to pay extra to support local businesses, but with large price differences they are either lazy about keeping their prices competitive or blatantly overcharging.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,499 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

Originally Posted by proto View Post
A rain coat costing 49 in a shop with a big window front, 23 delivered from Germany. I would be willing to pay extra to support local businesses, but with large price differences they are either lazy about keeping their prices competitive or blatantly overcharging.
Fully agree with this, no prob spending a bit extra locally, usually do just to support them but my money is too hard come by to blow away stupidly.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 3193 from 0 to 60 in about 3.2 sec
2,599 posts since May 2006
Motorbike: Yer aul wan
Modifications: Sphincter tightener

No doubt someone will pick huge holes in this but I think an internet based business/warehouse will always be cheaper than a conventional shop because there are way less overheads (yeah I know, doesn't explain the sometimes vast difference in price).

I try to buy from shops as much as possible. I like being able to wander in and pick stuff up, try it on, see if it feels like a 'quality' item. Talk shite to the other customers/staff. I dread the day where we have to go to the internet to buy every little thing. But there are times when you might want a particular thing that's not sitting on most shops shelves. I recently had to buy a 60mm socket for the rear wheel nut on my bike. I did try to buy it in several shops but none stocked it and those that were willing to order it wanted a Kings ransom and about a three week wait. E-bay? Yep. Arrived at my door in 4 days for 1/3 of the prices quoted. Just gotta try thread a line between the two I suppose...
Old 16th September 2018, 02:57 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
525 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by proto
And thats what I do not understand.
I agree we should support local shops where we can, or we will lose them.

What I dont understand is if we can buy that coat you use as an example online for €23 delivered, whats stopping Irish shops from buying the same coats from the same ebay suppliers at the same cost or less. If they did that and then added a a bit of profit for themselves and then resold them for say €33 a lot of people would buy local with the attitude that they are dealing with real people if something is wrong, its more convienent or quicker to pop down to their local store and it helped keep our local stores in business.

Do Irish retailers really expect me to believe that in order for them to sell a coat that could be sourced from ebay for €23 they have to add a 90% markup in profit to survive, pull the other one its got bells. Most of them are fleecing customers for as much as they think they can get away with, and I for one wont be at all sad if some of these businesses go to the wall. There are a few that genuinely do try to give a fair deal and appear to value regular customers, and those I will continue to support where possible.
Old 16th September 2018, 03:27 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,417 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe

Originally Posted by proto View Post
see, here's a problem.. what happens when the 23 quid raincoat doesnt fit... or those great pains in the hole... leathers and lids, all that bolliking around returning, or arguing who pays the freight, or throwing the errant item on Dungdeal at half what it cost so someone can try it on in a car park and say nah, wrong colour.. while we try "claw back" some "contribution" toward the cost of a new item.. ... I'd give the extra twenty quid, thirty quid even up to fifty for some items to buy local and know it fits, they're employing people, its a place to meet up, gawk etc. and in buying parts etc from godsends like NDM, RPM etc i can stumble to to the door and say the bikes making a clak clack donk noise... any ideas? however, saying all that in a lot of cases the mark up is no where near 50quid, oh no we could have ourselves a happy day on some of the prices big window asks, so theres shared responsibilty, shops are gonna rip off when they know they'll be ripped themselves so how do we fix it?
Old 16th September 2018, 05:00 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 13781 from de county Galway
1,331 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: yamaha tzr250,and superexup
Modifications: all

Clak clak donk,try fixing that over the internet:)
Old 16th September 2018, 05:25 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 18755
1,924 posts since Oct 2009
Motorbike: ZXR 400 #66. Speedfight 2
Modifications: Cams,Flat slides, CR Gear

ive a retail shop and an online bisiness selling broadly the same stuff. The physical shop os a pain in the hole between staff insurance breakages power rates rent and theft it costs a fortune compared with doing business online. most things are the same price though and its a case of suck it up. its hard to justify the price difference in some bike shops
Old 16th September 2018, 06:51 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,229 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Local employment, carrying stock.. Sometimes in sizes that don't sell, return policy's, warranty,knowledge... You get fuck all of that online. I'm sure if most that complained looked at their own line of work they'd find vast differences in prices of products they deal with

People are running businesses, if you don't like the price, fuck off and get it elsewhere, and quit bullshitting online comparing it as a like for like scenario with Internet prices
Old 16th September 2018, 07:28 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 4874 from finglas
2,417 posts since Mar 2007
Motorbike: CBR 929, CB750, 125 Rebel
Modifications: the best B&Q have to offe

Originally Posted by mrdimreaper View Post
Clak clak donk,try fixing that over the internet:)
its well for lads that have bikes that can connect to the web lol
Old 17th September 2018, 09:51 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8221 from Walkinstown
386 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: 05 SV650S
Modifications: GSXR Front End, Viper Can

I got one of the K&N cleaning kits in the shop with the big windows, I think it was 20e
Old 17th September 2018, 11:16 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,499 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

i dont think most people mind a reasonable difference in price, i certainly dont, its only when some kunt is taking the piss that i get annoyed, my money isnt got by sitting on my arse drinking tea ( oh wait a minute......), anyway.........i value my money enough to spend it if not wisely then well, simples.
Old 17th September 2018, 02:39 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 5294 from Dublin
277 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: Honda Deauville

Like most lads here I will try to buy locally when I can, unless there is a big difference.

Got myself a new HJC lid online for about 60% of what I could see it for in Dublin, got it from Lee Honda in Cork, who even beat the best prove I could see online by about €40.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
air, cleaning, filter, kandn, kit