Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 13th September 2018, 09:01 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37490 from Dublin
99 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: Suzuki SV650s K2
Modifications: Remus Exhaust
Default SV650s Curvy to .....

Hi All

Over the next few months I am thinking about moving to a supersport bike.
It is purely for looks (I don't even use the power of my SV lol).

I passed my test in the summer, riding bike about a year with approx2-3k miles under my belt.

Now if I go for a 600 or 1000 sports bike, are they too much to control?
I find the SV650 is quite jerky on the throttle when transitioning between on and off the throttle. The torque and power are instant and not built up linear.

I hear the 600's only get mental when you wind them up over 7k.....and smooth below this. This appeals to me as I am assuming it may be better than the SV for low speed on and off throttle etc.

Now - I am also able to insure the 1000's. This opens the net for me in terms of what is out there. I do not care if I end up with a 600 or 1000, but are 1000's just impossible to control at lower speeds. Does the power make them jerky like the SV650s. I don't want to end up with a bike that is a bastard to just ride normally.

Any opinions and advice welcome.
Again - I will not be using the full power of either machine, it is purely the style of bike I would like to have.
Old 13th September 2018, 09:19 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
387 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SV650K5 & ZRX1200R
Modifications: Eh.......
Default Re: SV650s Curvy to .....

Why not a 300?

All the look and whatever power is there would be friendly enough to be useable all the time.

Your SV may very well benefit from a carb sync by the way.

Personally I love mine, albeit a later, injected, model.
Old 13th September 2018, 09:21 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 21867 from Dublin
1,496 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: giant mtb
Modifications: front disc brakes

Best thing to do Gonko is get a ride on one. A vtwin and inline 4 engine are very different . . . I personally love the kick from a twin but as you mention theyre a pain in town or lowspeeds
Old 13th September 2018, 11:30 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,444 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

It depends on which 600 you look at, my experience with the R6 is as you described nothing much below 6,7k rpm and then you get launched with probably one of the most sexiest sounds you can get.
I have not ridden one but I've hear that this is not so much the case with a Triumph Daytona 675 where it delivers torque down low and you don't have this "dead" zone... again, don't have personal experience with it.

Any bike is controlable, it's always down to your right wrist. Always bear in mind that 1000cc would be bigger/heavier bikes. If you're not going to be on the power band and really taking advantage of the power, it might be an overkill unless you want the bike for the pure looks which is fair enough.

Whatever you do, make sure to call the insurance company first to see if they'll insure you on either bike.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:53 AM
Break it. Fix it. Repeat.

Biker.ie Member No. 1842 from Westmeath
3,828 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: '87 NC24; '98 TL1000S
Modifications: TLS: M4 system, PCII, K&N, GI-pro ATRE, c/f hugger

As mentioned above - if the SV is running lumpy on part throttle, then your carbs likely need balancing. Those motors are silky smooth when well maintained.
Old 13th September 2018, 12:15 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
916 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

A thousand will bite really hard if your throttle hand is not up to it. The torque and power from down low in the wet or on greasy roads is enough to break grip very easily if you aren't smooth. But if you can handle it they aren't hard to ride slowly.... they are just really hard not to ride fast! What about the GSXR750?
Old 13th September 2018, 12:28 PM
Finally graduating from2T

Biker.ie Member No. 20467 from North County Dublin
4,095 posts since Feb 2010
Motorbike: NSR 250s, R6 13s
Modifications: Loud can

If you're not using the power of the SV, it doesn't make sense to me to get more power! Perhaps get a later model SV with injection?
Old 13th September 2018, 12:46 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

99 posts since Jul 2017

Originally Posted by pedrosixfour
Why not a 300?

All the look and whatever power is there would be friendly enough to be useable all the time.

Your SV may very well benefit from a carb sync by the way.

Personally I love mine, albeit a later, injected, model.
I do like the SV, but its just the sudden lurching when you give it slight throttle. The 300 I don't think would suit. I'm a heavy short arse haha. 5ft 7 and about 90kg, and I want something that would be OK on a motorway. Sometimes I spin from Sallins to Dubin to the family.

Originally Posted by manbearpig
Best thing to do Gonko is get a ride on one. A vtwin and inline 4 engine are very different . . . I personally love the kick from a twin but as you mention theyre a pain in town or lowspeeds
It is mainly the transition from off throttle to on throttle. There is like a little jerk of power delivery. Very annoying when turning right on a roundabout.

Originally Posted by RTV
It depends on which 600 you look at, my experience with the R6 is as you described nothing much below 6,7k rpm and then you get launched with probably one of the most sexiest sounds you can get.
I have not ridden one but I've hear that this is not so much the case with a Triumph Daytona 675 where it delivers torque down low and you don't have this "dead" zone... again, don't have personal experience with it.

Any bike is controlable, it's always down to your right wrist. Always bear in mind that 1000cc would be bigger/heavier bikes. If you're not going to be on the power band and really taking advantage of the power, it might be an overkill unless you want the bike for the pure looks which is fair enough.

Whatever you do, make sure to call the insurance company first to see if they'll insure you on either bike.
I think the 1000's are in and around the same weight +/- 10kg?
I am able to get quotes on both. In my mind I am thinking, if my SV is a little jerky on throttle transition, a 1000 is just going to fuck me off all the time.

Originally Posted by Spoonman
As mentioned above - if the SV is running lumpy on part throttle, then your carbs likely need balancing. Those motors are silky smooth when well maintained.
It running OK, it is more to do with the off to on throttle. Chain seems ok too. Not sure if its a characteristic of a twin.

Originally Posted by scorpy
A thousand will bite really hard if your throttle hand is not up to it. The torque and power from down low in the wet or on greasy roads is enough to break grip very easily if you aren't smooth. But if you can handle it they aren't hard to ride slowly.... they are just really hard not to ride fast! What about the GSXR750?
I'd be open to anything in the looks department of a supersport. Daytona 675/600, Gixxer (any), anything really. Its only for the looks.
The only reason the 1k is on the radar is to widen the net of available bikes I could buy as I can insure one now.

Originally Posted by Dub Duke
If you're not using the power of the SV, it doesn't make sense to me to get more power! Perhaps get a later model SV with injection?
Again, it is just the looks of the super sports I like. The SV has served me well and I commuted on it for a part of last year. Since moving out to Kildare, I take the cage to work 95% of the time. So the bike is merely a toy now. Comfort and daily riding are not a priority and I think I can justify getting a SS type bike at this stage.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:09 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,232 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Get yourself a cbr600 f4i....or fsport
Old 13th September 2018, 03:20 PM
Break it. Fix it. Repeat.

Biker.ie Member No. 1842 from Westmeath
3,828 posts since May 2005
Motorbike: '87 NC24; '98 TL1000S
Modifications: TLS: M4 system, PCII, K&N, GI-pro ATRE, c/f hugger

Originally Posted by GONKO
It running OK, it is more to do with the off to on throttle. Chain seems ok too. Not sure if its a characteristic of a twin.
It isn't - get it serviced and the carbs balanced. I've a TL (its bigger sibling) and it's not even remotely lumpy, on or off the throttle, even with a quick-action throttle fitted. If it's lumpy, something is out of whack!

Originally Posted by DavyH
Solid advice right there.

...and I'll even store the curvy SV for you; 'cus I'm sound like that.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:36 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34285 from Tipperary
344 posts since Jan 2015
Motorbike: CBR 600 F4i

+1 for the cbr, only gets fast if you wind it on past 7/8000 rpm
Old 13th September 2018, 05:02 PM
nobody's hero

Biker.ie Member No. 3188 from Co.Down
2,461 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: lambrettas and a jap bike
Modifications: Go-faster nut

If you just want a sensible commuter that looks like a sports bike, from a distance if you squint, how about the ninja 650?
Old 13th September 2018, 05:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28844 from Dublin
269 posts since May 2012
Motorbike: NC25, NC30,NC35 MC22,RC31

Originally Posted by GONKO

It is mainly the transition from off throttle to on throttle. There is like a little jerk of power delivery. Very annoying when turning right on a roundabout.
Have ye any free play at all on the throttle cable? Shot in the dark but i had a similar sensation after going from probably too much slack to none at all
Old 13th September 2018, 07:09 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,580 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

To be honest,from reading your original post.. I don't personally think you're ready for a bigger more powerful bike...
Why not sort out the SV and do a few trackdays on it?
Old 13th September 2018, 07:21 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,711 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

what speed/gears is this lurching happening at ?
Old 13th September 2018, 08:06 PM
Novice Racer
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

99 posts since Jul 2017

The bit of lurching is more noticeable at low speeds.
It's as if I am turning right on a roundabout say and halfway round I need to throttle on a little, the bike gives more of a punch than a gradual little kick (if this makes sense).
It is quite possible that the carbs and throttle cable need a bit of an overhaul. - Is this an expensive job?
I think if I could get the smoothness thing sorted, I'd be content with the bike for a while more. It is a nice bike, but the jerkiness does sap some confidence when I am on her.
There is also a very very very slight pop/misfire when idling when hot (it actually sounds cool lol). Once she's on the move, the engine is not lumpy or anything.

how much would I expect to pay for a throttle overhaul and carb balancing?
How often do carbs need to be balanced?
There's 44k miles on the bike and I have no idea what the previous owner did or didn't do. All I have done was an oil change, lube all cables etc. I have the bike just over a year and it has always kinda been like this. I just accepted it was normal for a v twin.
Old 13th September 2018, 08:06 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21721 from Dublin (now Calgary)
337 posts since Apr 2010
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM 950 sm

600 will be fine, power-wise. 1000 probably ok, too, once you can keep yourself controlled on it. Biggest thing to think about for a road bike is the engine characteristics, rather than pure cc, which it sounds like you are doing.

I went from a sv650 (k3) to a few years without a bike, to a cbr600rr and now ride a carbed ktm 950sm. The sv and ktm are both v-twins and way more fun to ride (for me). They can give you that 'kick' and the ktm can lift the front easily, but after a few weeks riding it, my throttle hand had adjusted. The 600 i4 engine was just not for me. Having said that, I'm still glad of my year or so I spent on it, and as per earlier comments a 600 high in the rev band can sound lovely. Very different to the big twin I have now.
That was probably no help to you, but I wouldn't be 'afraid' of the 600. The 1000 would take some getting used to (I've only ever had a few short spins on a mates s1000rr) but once you're adjusted and trust yourself to not be a dick, that'd likely be fine too.
Old 13th September 2018, 08:38 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2533 from "Sunny" South East
910 posts since Dec 2005

Originally Posted by DavyH
Good advice, do this
Old 13th September 2018, 11:32 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 30753
98 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: NC30

Have you considered keeping the SV and doing a Gsxr front end fairing conversion?
Old 14th September 2018, 12:01 PM
Finally graduating from2T

Biker.ie Member No. 20467 from North County Dublin
4,095 posts since Feb 2010
Motorbike: NSR 250s, R6 13s
Modifications: Loud can

If you have the power, you will use it at least once, so you need to be ready / able for it. Would be my view.

Personally I don't see the need for a 150bhp+ 1000cc bike in Ireland, but that's probably down to my lack of riding skill!

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
curvy, sv650s