Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 12th July 2018, 03:10 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,762 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide
Default MotoGP: Pedrosa retires

Pint sized Dani Pedrosa will step down from his MotoGP career at the end of a shitty 2018 season plagued with injuries, crashes and an underwhelming performance on the factory Honda.

Pedrosa says he did have some good options to continue into next season but was super pissed off with Jorge Lorenzo for taking his slot to run alongside Marq Marquez for the 2019 season at Honda, and that it was time to call it a day.

Click the image to open in full size.

“I would like to express how fortunate I feel to have this experience and opportunity in my life,”

“It has been an amazing time to race for such an big team, I can say I have achieved way more than I ever expected and that I am very proud of what I have done.

“I fulfilled my dream of becoming a racer and reaching my target of 76 million euro in savings before I retire and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dorna and Honda, and Arai and Alpinestars for all the cash injections over the past number of years, and to my family and all the fans who have supported me despite the results ”
“I have decided to pursue other interests and will instead continue to focus on a pet project that remains close to my heart -' Richard And Stephanie Terrapin's Turtle Sanctuary ', it is important that we collectively secure a good future for turtles in a suitable environment, as unfortunately there are many who insist on keeping these exotic species in small cramped dirty conditions and aquariums with little thought for their needs, emotions or the work involved in keeping them, it is frightfully important that the public be vigilant when choosing to buy such species as many turtles can actually outlive their owners, thank you I have no further comments ”
.. said an emotional Pedrosa during a specially held press conference ahead of this weekend's Grand Prix at the Sachsenring in Germany.
Old 12th July 2018, 04:49 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
19,102 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!
Default Re: MotoGP: Pedrosa retires

Happy retirement Danny.
Old 12th July 2018, 04:55 PM
Laoch Beag !

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,008 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

Dani is a legend, i think it all went [ear shaped all them years ago when the honda took a mind of its on and spat him into a wall.....it snowballed from there.

he'll go well on the yamaha in WSBK
Old 12th July 2018, 05:08 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22789 from Up around the bend
1,121 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Honda 250 Rally, Hornet 6
Modifications: flux capacitor

Good one Admin.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 10418 from CORK
3,742 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: YAMAHA FZR600R, YZF750R
Modifications: Time & grime...

Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
Good one Admin.
On a good day he was a match for all the best riders in MotoGP but he lacked consistency. Probably the best rider never to win the crown. The time has come to call it a day.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:55 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
683 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Always wanted Dani to do well.....he's too nice...you need to be a b0ll0x to win races..look at Rossi...
Old 12th July 2018, 07:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 28051
3,513 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: zx6r
Modifications: fines

He'll invest half his retirement package in a mini moto bike project and they'll be the best ever
Old 12th July 2018, 09:06 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 36041
384 posts since Apr 2016
Motorbike: BMW F650
Modifications: Air freshner

Quite surprised at this tbh...
Old 12th July 2018, 09:32 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 22146 from Drogheda
431 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: Fazer 1
Modifications: petrol

Pitty he's going, during the Hayden, Stoner and Marquez years he was the one doing the development work on the Bike. He'd be great for any team as a development/ test rider. Good luck in the future.
Old 12th July 2018, 09:36 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,332 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

Android boring freak 76 million, wound have a good night out on it
Old 12th July 2018, 10:53 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25594 from Kildare
588 posts since Mar 2011

Great to see him walk away intact..
He has nothing to prove to the gobshites who couldn't even win a club race..
Old 13th July 2018, 07:12 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 31693 from Wexford
322 posts since Jun 2013
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Aprilia Caponord 1200

If it hadn't of been for Alberto Puig, he's of been fooked out of Honda years ago.... Lovely lad Dani. I met him twice. Not very highly regarded in Spain by many track racers...
Wish I was as good as him!!

I saw him been interviewed a couple of months ago on Spanish TV, and he admitted he was afraid to fall anymore... a guy thinking like this needs to hang up his helmet as he can't be giving anything close to 100%...
Old 13th July 2018, 08:00 AM
Chief Physician
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,762 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Originally Posted by stevenjhodnett
If it hadn't of been for Alberto Puig, he's of been fooked out of Honda years ago.... Lovely lad Dani. I met him twice. Not very highly regarded in Spain by many track racers...
Wish I was as good as him!!

I saw him been interviewed a couple of months ago on Spanish TV, and he admitted he was afraid to fall anymore... a guy thinking like this needs to hang up his helmet as he can't be giving anything close to 100%...
Good test rider and happy to make up the numbers while pulling a decent wage and never really challenging for anything, but it’s bound to grate with his rivals who do have a point to prove and would be way faster given that opportunity to ride what’s pretty much the best bike on the grid with a full factory budget and unlimited support and resources.

Somebody will keep him on as a mule for testing various settings and electronics and chassis development etc. but he’ll have to take a pay cut to around 10grand a week (which mightn’t suit him) because he’s useful in the sense that (outside of a dogfight and when left unchallenged in a race) he was pretty robotic and consistent when pushing his dwarfy envelope 90%, just no real instinct or motivation to win - which is what the fans paying his wages really demand.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:54 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 31868
129 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: SV650S 1st gen aka Curvy

He is great rider. 112 times on a podium, 31 wins. Money and connections will bring you as far as a starting grid. Ask Karel Abraham or VDS guys. The rest was his job and he made a lot of dosh for Honda, especially in Japan. He is a legend in my book.

I've actually summed up all the points scored by him and his team mates from 2006 to current season. Pedrosa scored more than 2800 points which is 47.6% percent of all HRC points, and last few years total was sky rocketed by Marquez.

just my 2c

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays