Old 12th September 2018, 09:31 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31809 from Dublin
2,578 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: Ktm 990 smt
Modifications: Loads
Default Re: DEATH DRIVER on the WICKLOW GAP EARLIER

Originally Posted by kwackquack
One of the main reason I gave it up was actually other motorcyclists, mind you the spandex muppets probably won that competition really but YES there is WAY nicer places to go, the wicklow crap lost it's appeal ten years ago
How do cyclists bother you going up the wicklow gap seriously? They are going so slow and are always in tight to the side that surely its no inconvenience?
I cycle over and back lots of times, and I am probably as quick as anyone doing it on a bicycle and never interfere with anybody, certainly not motorcyclists. Never see other cyclists blocking bikers either. Whats the issue?
Old 12th September 2018, 01:06 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
375 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Originally Posted by evertel
How do cyclists bother you going up the wicklow gap seriously? They are going so slow and are always in tight to the side that surely its no inconvenience?
I cycle over and back lots of times, and I am probably as quick as anyone doing it on a bicycle and never interfere with anybody, certainly not motorcyclists. Never see other cyclists blocking bikers either. Whats the issue?
Yeah, didn't quite get that one myself. I usually just overtake them as they are more often than not cycling at around 15mph and are only taking up 2 feet of the road. Don't get the frothing at the mouth over cyclist.
On a positive note the seat leon and fiat 500 were tucked away in our friends driveway when I went by at about 10.30. Think he was having a day off. Coming from Hollywood there was a speed check going up and one going down into Laragh.
Got stopped at a check point about 1 km from Laragh by a very nice ban garda who informed me that it's going to be a regular occurrence from here on in. Apparently it's due to the high number of accidents involving motorcyclists.
Old 12th September 2018, 03:17 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
427 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SV650K5 & ZRX1200R
Modifications: Eh.......

Originally Posted by Rockster
at a check point about 1 km from Laragh by a very nice ban garda who informed me that it's going to be a regular occurrence from here on in. Apparently it's due to the high number of accidents involving motorcyclists.

Great, so an aging sociopath is out creating havoc on the roads, (possibly) causing a few deaths over the years and the reaction from the authorities is to come down on the riders, for using the road.

Makes sense.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:56 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35571 from Dublin
831 posts since Dec 2015
Motorbike: Bimota YB9 SRI
Modifications: Wear and Tear!

Originally Posted by pedrosixfour
Great, so an aging sociopath is out creating havoc on the roads, (possibly) causing a few deaths over the years and the reaction from the authorities is to come down on the riders, for using the road.

Makes sense.

No. It is due to the standard of riding on that road. Lads just riding too fast for their abilities. Twice I have met guys totally out of control on my side of the road trying to kill us both.

Never mind the mad fucker. That road attracts the fruitloops. Must be the Latte in Laragh.
Old 13th September 2018, 08:09 AM
Ducati wrecker. 3 so far

Biker.ie Member No. 4681 from Royal County
26,307 posts since Feb 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: 748S,Monster 620i, Katana
Modifications: Termi's & Marchesinis

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
No. It is due to the standard of riding on that road. Lads just riding too fast for their abilities. Twice I have met guys totally out of control on my side of the road trying to kill us both.

Never mind the mad fucker. That road attracts the fruitloops. Must be the Latte in Laragh.

Yup
Old 13th September 2018, 09:18 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2138
5,258 posts since Aug 2005
Motorbike: Ducati 1199, KTM 1290SDR
Modifications: Skinny jeans

It's a shithole on a Sunday. A shame because its a reasonable aul road when you get a clear run, although it's gotten stupidly bumpy in large parts thanks to the 're-surfacing' done over the last few years.
Old 13th September 2018, 10:14 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
427 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SV650K5 & ZRX1200R
Modifications: Eh.......

Ah, fair enough.

I've only been on it a couple of times in the good weather and once in February, when a canoe would've been a better option, but I never saw this bad behaviour you speak of.

Which leads me to think that it may very well have been me you met!
Old 13th September 2018, 11:08 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 21821 from Dublin
2,887 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: r1200 GS
Modifications: A hand that waves!

Old 13th September 2018, 03:15 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
2,345 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

That road has become something of a ' back in my day', used to go across it a lot, and splinter off on the back roads all around it. There's some great roads but too many people using it the last few years.
Old 16th September 2018, 10:16 AM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,730 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Lovely morning up here.....sunny as.fuck ... no sheep ..mad men...cops...😎😎😎
Old 16th September 2018, 10:57 PM
. . . . . .

Biker.ie Member No. 3765 from Dublin
1,639 posts since Sep 2006
Motorbike: ZX6R

Followed 3 clowns across to Laragh about 6 weeks back. The last guy was struggling to keep up and his riding was fooking dangerous as a result. Two overtakes badly done, the second of which brought him round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road. It was just luck that the guy coming the other way was on a bike, if was a cage he would have had a very bad day. I avoid now.
Old 17th September 2018, 11:55 AM
Supporter

Exactly, I cycled over and back on it yesterday and two twats on gsxr's i think did deliberate close passes. Well done, brave lads.
And whoever said cyclists are doing 15mph is very optimistic, very few would be doing that. My best average speed bottom to top is 20.2kmph and Im 220th out of over 6100 on it. Most are averaging 10mph at best. So barely moving. Hardly a hinderance to a motorcyclist doing 100kmph.
Old 20th September 2018, 02:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35446 from Posh side of the Liffey
452 posts since Oct 2015
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Dirty FZ6
Modifications: Protective eco-coating

Last lime I counted 18 small groups plus 2 small flocks blocking the road. Too many of those feckers.
Old 20th September 2018, 04:31 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15313 from Wherever i lay my hat
858 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: Gsxr 1000 KY,

Originally Posted by evertel
Exactly, I cycled over and back on it yesterday and two twats on gsxr's i think did deliberate close passes. Well done, brave lads.
And whoever said cyclists are doing 15mph is very optimistic, very few would be doing that. My best average speed bottom to top is 20.2kmph and Im 220th out of over 6100 on it. Most are averaging 10mph at best. So barely moving. Hardly a hinderance to a motorcyclist doing 100kmph.
Exactly...you said it....
Old 24th September 2018, 10:22 AM
Supporter

Cycled by his house at 11am yesterday, he was standing outside and ran inside as a pickup or jeep pulled up into his driveway. He was pacing around in a strange manner before hand. At least he wasnt behind the wheel of a car.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
beating, dead, death, driver, earlier, gap, horse, stick, wicklow

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed