Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 13th January 2018, 10:15 PM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,353 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy
Default Re: McGuinness in shock switch to Norton for TT 2018?

Originally Posted by dan-k
With the way Hickman and Harrison were riding last year they have to be contenders for wins this year. Its probably going to be one of the hardest fought TTs in recent years. I'd love to see him back but he'd hardly be competitive having not been on a bike
As you point out above and not being on a bike for so long plus the severity of his injury would suggest he is not likely for a win . A lot of very fast lads will be out for the wins this year and lads who were serving their time in 2017 (Josh Brooks etc ) .This year, should be fascinating
Old 14th January 2018, 12:53 AM
Clem Fandango

Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
867 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird, Husky SM, TZR

Originally Posted by Admin
They had him written off for the Senior TT a couple years back, and people (like me) made a fortune by putting their money where their mouth was ( at 8/1 odds ) but he just doesn't look like someone who's going to win a whole pile of anything this year ;

Click the image to open in full size.

I think that crash knocked the shit out of him, maybe padgett will sort him out with something, even a superstock fireblade, just to get back in the groove and try to be fit for next year.
Is he still on crutches?!? Met him at the TT last year and fuck me I felt bad for him with the scaffolding around his leg. He spoke to everyone who came up to him and had a smile on his face even tho he had been through the wringer. . Some man for one man.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:33 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
2,187 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!

There was a good interview at a TT event last night. He's defo gone from Honda but not confirmed any other ride yet. He did admit that he was talking with Norton.

https://www.FaceBox.com/thesportpack...0833010844535/
Old 14th January 2018, 09:34 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22789 from Up around the bend
1,134 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Honda 250 Rally, Hornet 6
Modifications: flux capacitor

They had him written off for the Senior TT a couple years back, and people (like me) made a fortune by putting their money where their mouth was ( at 8/1 odds ) but he just doesn't look like someone who's going to win a whole pile of anything this year ;

Click the image to open in full size.

I think that crash knocked the shit out of him, maybe padgett will sort him out with something, even a superstock fireblade, just to get back in the groove and try to be fit for next year.
I think he has nothing to prove and should retire, enjoy his family, and be an ambassador for the sport-and powerwash the patio ffs
Old 15th January 2018, 12:19 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 29815 from Rathfarnham
25 posts since Sep 2012
Motorbike: MV Agusta (in my dreams)
Modifications: the works

Originally Posted by HIGHSIDER
I just wish he would retire....call it a day and count his blessings. McPint is a legend and has nothing to prove. Quit while he is ahead...good luck to the fella whatever he decides.....
Totally agree-- should pack up his comics and enjoy the memories.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:50 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35571 from Dublin
831 posts since Dec 2015
Motorbike: Bimota YB9 SRI
Modifications: Wear and Tear!

Originally Posted by silver fox
I think he has nothing to prove and should retire, enjoy his family, and be an ambassador for the sport-and powerwash the patio ffs
Good point and you are right but he probably reckons another season or two.
I hope he does retire cos another spill would finish him properly.....
Mind you, we said that about Hutchy too!
Old 15th January 2018, 01:08 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 24948 from peoples republic
1,196 posts since Dec 2010

Joey won a TT at 47 /48 years of age more competitive now I agree
But Honda just lined up Hutchey and Johnston for 2018 without offering John a ride .. fierce kick in the stones for John there and bad form outa Honda
remember hes injured due to malfunction of their bike ( ecu blipped the throttle while entering a corner )
good luck to John whatever he does , Hope to see him riding something competitive though
Old 15th January 2018, 01:10 PM
Rossi fan

Biker.ie Member No. 19208
8,594 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: Gixxer
Modifications: Plenty

Class act on and off the bike,
Hope he chases as much money as he can for the next couple of years and takes it handy. Mugen would have a big check for him, however I can't see Norton having such a big budget.
Will we start harrasing btsport to get rid of Keith Hewen and give Mc the job...
I have no doubt itv will give him a job for the TT
Old 7th February 2018, 09:10 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10631 from Tallaght
1,204 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: VFR 800 / CB1000 RA

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/new...-man-tt-races/

Done deal. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.
Seems to be up for it.
Old 7th February 2018, 10:04 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 20982 from Kildare
118 posts since Mar 2010
Motorbike: CBF500

Great to see him back.
Excited to see how competitive it could be. Maybe not a podium but even a couple of good laps that could worry the big guns would be fantastic.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:06 PM
Chief Physician
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
34,051 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

I think its a mistake by Honda to turn their back on McGuinness like that, after all the wins, sales and publicity he's given them.

The fireblade was the best selling superbike for years ( mainly due to hutchy and him ) out winning races, on road derived motorbikes around a bumpy 38mile road circuit, and those sales certainly couldn't have been attributed to the hondas dismal performance and results during BSB or World Superbike racing (even johnny rea couldn't make them win), or indeed magazine articles commonly critical about the fireblades lack of power and electronics etc. compared to other motorbikes.

It was him, a mere mortal who doesn't even go to the gym, who put Honda on a pedestal and was synonymous with the iconic brand and image of fast road bikes for regular riders in the real world, far away from the glitz and glamour of metro sexuals chasing their tails around immaculately smooth tarmac at places like san marino, stopping briefly for a photoshoot and avocado smoothie ( with mandatory energy drink logo ) to market the latest eyewear to impressionable eegits as part of a multimillion euro contract, and have other metro sexual's jizz in their pants with the raising of a well manicured HD eyebrow in their general direction, McGuinness wasn't into that shyte and should have been kept on as a retainer by Honda even with those other riders signed up.

Hutchy is probably no better than their ruthless business acumen, having cleaned up on the fireblade a decade ago, had an big crash afterwards, it was Yamaha who nurtured him back to health keeping him fighting strong for 3 or 4 years thinking he'd stay loyal and return the favour some day with race wins once he eventually got back to full fitness, but he leg,. limped it, to the BMW garage and has now taken over McPints slot as the main Honda rider for the big factory team.

Cameron Donald and Josh Brookes are both quick pilots (and Plater the main tester) on that Aprilia RSV4 engined Norton which lapped a respectable 131mph last year showing it's potential, but they never seemed entirely comfortable on it, I hope mcGuinness goes well and gets reinvigorated for next year, a podium would be awesome for both him and the Norton, but it's very unlikely when you consider how long its taken the Miracle Man's (arguably more determined) return to fitness.

Even after a full year of endurance racing and development work since their 2017 electronic flitches propelled both McGuinness & Guy Martin into the A&E wards, there's no doubt Hutchy and Lee Johnson are going to be shitting it with those awry blippers and potential for false neutrals at the NW200, and it only takes a suspicion of doubt in the back of your mind to start knocking seconds from a lap time around the isle of man, so with Dunlop yet to sign or announce a deal - it's hard to see him not winning (on either the Suzuki or BMW) again this year, be interesting to see what happens at the NW200 in a few months.

If that new V4 Panigale engine (with over 200bhp out of the box) could be shoe-horned into the Norton, and if it's just his right leg giving him bother, ie. no back or rib trouble - then maybe McGuinness (assuming he hasn't eaten a rake of borjars between now and then) could be in with a sporting chance, at least down the Sulby straight in June
Old 7th February 2018, 01:23 PM
<< SAVAGE LID

Biker.ie Member No. 4646 from Back of the Wolfpack..Try
26,537 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: 2 Suzi's
Modifications: Sticker and Iba 35959

Well said
He's a legend
Old 7th February 2018, 01:44 PM
. . . . . . . . . .. .

Biker.ie Member No. 4265
18,052 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: few red ducati/jap heaps

I think its a mistake by Honda to turn their back on McGuinness like that, after all the wins, sales and publicity he's given them.
i agree with a lot of what you said, particularly the above though.

re new fireblade, was there not some discontent in the UK camp re the bike and the ownership of where the problem lay for a couple of months, after McG's huge off........HRC / Honda UK took a while to own up. Lets be honest, it was a biggie at the time for McPint, v lucky.To me it was a classic case of pedrosa way back in gp, and stoner in japan on a honda a couple of yrs ago, bike had a mind of its own and both ended up in the wall / off track with injuries. Maybe it was what gave GM the jitters too....after his off. Who knows.

McPint is like your favourite uncle, humble too and v quick of course.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:46 PM
green grass

People saying Honda are miserable bastards for not holding onto McGuinness. Maybe he didn't want to ride the bike that tried to kill him,and doesn't trust the Honda team to get the bike right. Just a thought. It was scandalous the way the bike was let out into competition,and nearly killing 2 very experienced racers in the process. It made Martin look like a laughing stock up North when he got a neutral and ran up the inside hitting another bike. I know I wouldn't ride it again.. or ride it with the same lads looking into the laptops telling me they had the "glitch" fixed.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:39 PM
Solitary Confinement

Biker.ie Member No. 31102
1,353 posts since Mar 2013
Motorbike: moped ( 39cc)
Modifications: lobotomy

irons come off his leg 28 Feb and hes good to go. His team mate Josh Brooks did 130+ lap last year on that Norton/Aprilia.McGuinness likes the way it handles
Old 7th February 2018, 02:41 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,461 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

I hope he kicks a lot of arse at this years TT!....there, I said it out loud....go on McPint!!!
Old 7th February 2018, 03:21 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 10631 from Tallaght
1,204 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: VFR 800 / CB1000 RA

The fireblade was the best selling superbike for years ( mainly due to hutchy and him ) out winning races, on road derived motorbikes around a bumpy 38mile road circuit, and those sales certainly couldn't have been attributed to the hondas dismal performance and results during BSB or World Superbike racing (even johnny rea couldn't make them win), or indeed magazine articles commonly critical about the fireblades lack of power and electronics etc. compared to other motorbikes.

It was him, a mere mortal who doesn't even go to the gym, who put Honda on a pedestal and was synonymous with the iconic brand and image of fast road bikes for regular riders in the real world, far away from the glitz and glamour of metro sexuals chasing their tails around immaculately smooth tarmac at places like san marino, stopping briefly for a photoshoot and avocado smoothie ( with mandatory energy drink logo ) to market the latest eyewear to impressionable eegits as part of a multimillion euro contract, and have other metro sexual's jizz in their pants with the raising of a well manicured HD eyebrow in their general direction, McGuinness wasn't into that shyte and should have been kept on as a retainer by Honda even with those other riders signed up.

Hutchy is probably no better than their ruthless business acumen, having cleaned up on the fireblade a decade ago, had an big crash afterwards, it was Yamaha who nurtured him back to health keeping him fighting strong for 3 or 4 years thinking he'd stay loyal and return the favour some day with race wins once he eventually got back to full fitness, but he leg,. limped it, to the BMW garage and has now taken over McPints slot as the main Honda rider for the big factory team.

Cameron Donald and Josh Brookes are both quick pilots (and Plater the main tester) on that Aprilia RSV4 engined Norton which lapped a respectable 131mph last year showing it's potential, but they never seemed entirely comfortable on it, I hope mcGuinness goes well and gets reinvigorated for next year, a podium would be awesome for both him and the Norton, but it's very unlikely when you consider how long its taken the Miracle Man's (arguably more determined) return to fitness.

Even after a full year of endurance racing and development work since their 2017 electronic flitches propelled both McGuinness & Guy Martin into the A&E wards, there's no doubt Hutchy and Lee Johnson are going to be shitting it with those awry blippers and potential for false neutrals at the NW200, and it only takes a suspicion of doubt in the back of your mind to start knocking seconds from a lap time around the isle of man, so with Dunlop yet to sign or announce a deal - it's hard to see him not winning (on either the Suzuki or BMW) again this year, be interesting to see what happens at the NW200 in a few months.

If that new V4 Panigale engine (with over 200bhp out of the box) could be shoe-horned into the Norton, and if it's just his right leg giving him bother, ie. no back or rib trouble - then maybe McGuinness (assuming he hasn't eaten a rake of borjars between now and then) could be in with a sporting chance, at least down the Sulby straight in June
Great post that. Hope it goes well for him.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:37 PM
<<< Kwikasfuki

Biker.ie Member No. 14935 from California
4,469 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: MightyGS, KwikasfukiZ900

Old 8th February 2018, 01:16 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
559 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack n' crack wax.
Default McGuinness back! Superbike and Senior With Norton.

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/new...-man-tt-races/
Old 8th February 2018, 02:44 AM
child prodigy

Biker.ie Member No. 2469 from Ballycraic
11,282 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: 865 Tractor
Modifications: 8-ball choke knob
Default Re: McGuinness back! Superbike and Senior With Norton.

The very best to McPint, reckon a podium on the Norton [whatever] at best?

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
mcguinness, norton, senior, superbike