Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Other > Off Topic

Old 15th September 2018, 07:39 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,783 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: old photobucket pics been held hostage

Originally Posted by acdc View Post
Otherwise I bet no one would use fuycking windows I hate it lol even more that apple
Windows has its flaws but it's by far the best (for most people) OS on the market. About 99% of the programs I (and a lot of users) run on a daily basis aren't available for other OSs.
Sure, Linux is great, and especially so if you just want a browser and some basic stuff to run on an old machine. And nothing can beat it for servers. It's also an excellent OS for applications with limited resources, and I have far more things running variations of Linux than I do any other OS but unless you have a specific need for it, Windows is by far the better option (IMHO).

Last edited by Gixxer; 15th September 2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 15th September 2018, 08:47 PM
ACDC
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,878 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Windows has its flaws but it's by far the best (for most people) OS on the market. About 99% of the programs I (and a lot of users) run on a daily basis aren't available for other OSs.
Sure, Linux is great, and especially so if you just want a browser and some basic stuff to run on an old machine. And nothing can beat it for servers. It's also an excellent OS for applications with limited resources, and I have far more things running variations of Linux than I do any other OS but unless you have a specific need for it, Windows is by far the better option (IMHO).
I agree with you on that totally but for other things and specially when you get tyher know how linux is a fucking masterpiece , tis just a pity its not supported in games, ware etc, I see a red hat fairly sized office in the airport business park afaik thats the only closed source bar android etc but there is one distru that kicks asll the other down and that is TAILS , you can fit it on an sd card as small as your nail and for the "paranoid" edward snoweden peeps you will not fair better , only thing is the exit nodes , they have defo improved in ther speed and packet loss in the last 5 years but who then runs the exit nodes ????????lol tinfoil hat time
Old 15th September 2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 27947
3,719 posts since Dec 2011

The only problem is that you're a thick stupid knacker! Prick ya
Old 15th September 2018, 11:59 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
466 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by green grass View Post
The only problem is that you're a thick stupid knacker! Prick ya
God, yer a great man all the same.
Old 16th September 2018, 04:23 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35658 from North Cork
525 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Suzuki GSX 600F

Originally Posted by acdc View Post
I agree with you on that totally but for other things and specially when you get tyher know how linux is a fucking masterpiece , tis just a pity its not supported in games, ware etc, I see a red hat fairly sized office in the airport business park afaik thats the only closed source bar android etc but there is one distru that kicks asll the other down and that is TAILS , you can fit it on an sd card as small as your nail and for the "paranoid" edward snoweden peeps you will not fair better , only thing is the exit nodes , they have defo improved in ther speed and packet loss in the last 5 years but who then runs the exit nodes ????????lol tinfoil hat time
You obviously dont know one of the core differences between any unix distribution and windows. Windows loads all hardware and software drivers along with all libraries (.DLL's etc) at startup, Linux loads nothing but its core. If you want hardware support, or library support then you either have to configure UNIX specifically to do that, or a program or piece of software does this on the fly.

the advantage is that windows is ready for anything to be thrown at it, it has everything (libraries, drivers, services) pre-loaded waiting. This is why game producers love windows, they can write a game and let windows worry about hardware support, library versioning, services, its all waiting for what ever the game throws at it. It also has a fairly strict file system, where drivers, libraries etc are stored centrally making it easier for software developers not to run into version issues. Unix will let you install software in any directory without checking to see if there will be version conflicts with other programs.

Linux has the advantage thats its lightweight, it only loads its kernel and what it has been specifically told to do at start up. This make it extremely memory and resource efficient but its this that makes it absolutely shite as a gaming platform, or indeed for a substantial suite of programs such as MS office.

A games producer would have to supply and make sure all relevant libraries are installed before the game is launched in Unix. That would be great on a virgin system, but as you probably know you could have 3 different bits of software on your unix box, that run using 3 different versions of the same library, and woe befalls you and your unix box if you overwrite one of those library with a different version or remove one of those libraries. Basically a games developer would have to hardcode absolutely everything (hardware drivers, subroutines, daemon etc) within their game for ANY CONCEIVABLE CONFIGURATION of hardware or unix distribution, which probably would result in more code being written to support the game than the actual game itself.

And RedHAT is the propriety commercial distribution or FreeBSD. The intention initially of RedHat was to make a unix version more like windows, where libraries etc were updated periodically, and backward compatible, to avoid versioning issues. It was pitched as the common, stable business platform that was unix but would compete directly with windows. I dont think they thought that through myself, its neither the most efficient unix server platform, or the most user friendly unix desktop platform.

Last edited by efanton; 16th September 2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 16th September 2018, 08:32 PM
ACDC
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,878 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)

Originally Posted by efanton;3552021
[B

the advantage is that windows is ready for anything to be thrown at it,
[/B]

m.
excellent read there bro, seriously I never looked it like that only thing you got wrong was windows was not ready for the hammer I threw at it last time it crashed

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Other > Off Topic

Tags
held, hostige, photobucket, pics