Old 23rd July 2015, 08:23 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 24081 from Near Wild Heaven
7,969 posts since Sep 2010
Motorbike: Chainsaw/bike hybrid
Modifications: White Wall tyre
Default Re: Zxr 750 sitting for a while

Originally Posted by Kazawhaki
Anyone familiar with the H1 model? I think I might be missing some bits off the air filter box. I asseume there should be some kind of rubber duct that goes between the filter and the carb. I've seen something like that on the later models but that could be going into the different filter which th later ones have. Or does the plastic of the filter box fit into the carb. That doesn't look right to me but I'll bow to anyone else superior knowledge.
The air box bolts directly to the carbs.Theres 8 bolts iirc and 4 o-rings which are a pain in the bollix to keep in place
Old 24th July 2015, 11:54 PM
Clubman
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 34875 from Tullamore
158 posts since Jun 2015
Motorbike: Kawasaki Gtr 1000

Thanks Vjmc, I figured as much. Offered the box up to the carbs today but I didn't see any sign of the o rings. Some of the bolts were missing so I had to find replacements. I assume the last lad lost them along with his interest in the bike. Probably, lost the O rings too. Where would they be located? Also got her to start and run for a bit. Tried to pull her out of the shed to avoid poisoning myself with fumes but as soon as I hit first there was a nasty clunk and she died. I assume its a clutch issue. Hopefully it just needs to be bleed. Any other suggestions as to what might have caused this or things I should go investigating. Thanks again lads for all the help. Wouldn't be making haf the progress without the support on here.
Old 25th July 2015, 08:35 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

The clutch plates are probably stuck together.Fairly common on yokes left sitting for a spell.
Try putting it in gear and rocking back and forth it with the clutch pulled in.
Old 26th July 2015, 09:30 AM
Clubman

158 posts since Jun 2015

I dont think it was the clutch plates. I rocked her forward and back in gear but with the clutch pulled she rolled freely so I assume the clutch is operating. If it was stuck I assume it would have stuck the same as if she was in gear and the clutch wasn't pulled. I think it may be electrical. When I push the start button sometimes theres not effort to start. I thought it was a bad contact in the starter button but turns out if I touch the clutch she fires up.

Its not a gammy side stand switch cos Ive by passed that and it makes no difference. When I click her into first she rattles trying to go into gear but then dies (same kind of dying as if you flick the kill switch) I tried rolling her forwar and clicking into gear to see if it was the load coming on that was killing it but it doesnt appear to be. For sheer divilment I tried to select 2nd gear and the same thing happened but it didn't even need to be in gear just as soon as the selector went up she died.

So I think it might be something to do with the three wires coming into the clutch. Just not sure of the logic of it. Anyone with any ideas? Thanks again in advance.
Old 27th July 2015, 08:59 AM
Biker.ie old-skool

Sounds like the s/s switch.
Try joining the black/yellow and the green/yellow,that'll fool the bike into thinking the clutch is pulled.
Old 27th July 2015, 01:31 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2683 from The seventh ring...
2,514 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: VF1000 F, ZXR-R
Modifications: Total loss fucks system

Anyone familiar with the H1 model? I think I might be missing some bits off the air filter box. I asseume there should be some kind of rubber duct that goes between the filter and the carb. I've seen something like that on the later models but that could be going into the different filter which th later ones have. Or does the plastic of the filter box fit into the carb. That doesn't look right to me but I'll bow to anyone else superior knowledge.
Have you got PMs?

I'll send you a link for the manual.
Old 27th July 2015, 07:39 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 31586 from drogheda
14 posts since May 2013
Motorbike: 91 zxr750, 92 nsr250

Change the fuel pump regardless,guarantee it will pack up if been left sitting for a while.You can get point kits on Ebay but mine didn't last long and had to buy a new pump anyway.If you do get stuck on a spin before you buy one make sure you have a tool kit.You can limp the bike home by sending the fuel line from the tank directly to the carbs.
Have fun
Old 28th July 2015, 02:04 AM
Clubman

158 posts since Jun 2015

Thanks again for the advice lads. Ascalon, thanks for the offer, I actually have downloaded the manual but the diagrams aren't very well labelled. Its giving me some bit og guidance though and we're getting there. VJMC, tried joining those wires going to the kickstand and made no difference. I did wire the neutral light to stay on and that seems to have fooled the bike into thinking everything is ok and she shifts into gear now and stays running. Just a question of figuring out why the bike was confused in the first place now. Progress is being made though. Romskoner thanks for the heads up on the fuel pump. Theres an inline fuel filter just before the pump so it shouldn't be a big deal to fit the line straight to the carbs if I get stuck. As always lads I'll keep ye posted regarding progress (or more likely I'll be back before too long with another set of questions )
Old 28th July 2015, 11:51 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2683 from The seventh ring...
2,514 posts since Feb 2006
Motorbike: VF1000 F, ZXR-R
Modifications: Total loss fucks system

Thanks again for the advice lads. Ascalon, thanks for the offer, I actually have downloaded the manual but the diagrams aren't very well labelled. Its giving me some bit og guidance though and we're getting there. VJMC, tried joining those wires going to the kickstand and made no difference. I did wire the neutral light to stay on and that seems to have fooled the bike into thinking everything is ok and she shifts into gear now and stays running. Just a question of figuring out why the bike was confused in the first place now. Progress is being made though. Romskoner thanks for the heads up on the fuel pump. Theres an inline fuel filter just before the pump so it shouldn't be a big deal to fit the line straight to the carbs if I get stuck. As always lads I'll keep ye posted regarding progress (or more likely I'll be back before too long with another set of questions )
No worries mate.

Unfortunately I'm no help, all my experience is with the J/K and L, never had a H, and only ever had a go on the back of one when my brother had one back in the day.

You could head over to redmonkey.com/7r for all things ZXR and ZX-7R related though, the chaps over there know their stuff.

A
Old 28th July 2015, 12:51 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Not sure how the s/s switch is wired but I think it opens the circuit when the stand is up.
Try leaving the switch disconnected.Could also be a short along the way.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
750, sitting, zxr

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed