Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Old 16th July 2017, 05:19 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 36585
27 posts since Sep 2016
Default Newfriend fucked up.

Okape, well I bought an '88 Bros a while back for 700. Needed some work, wasn't unwilling to have that work done since most similar ones I see are twice that price in better condition so I didn't mind too much.

Turns out that the bike's a lemon. Total write-off. I asked my mechanic to change the chains and sprockets and he ended up finding out that there was something wrong with a gear shaft - something to do with splines. Plus some other problems, he claimed it would cost 2,500 to fix everything, so that's that.

Here's my problem: I've paid off the insurance already.

What I need now is procedural advice. Obviously, the bike is scrap, and the mechanic advised I cancel my insurance and get a refund of the outstanding time.

Other people have told me never to cancel insurance because that will handicap me in future applications, despite the fact that I have paid in full and can prove it.

So like what? What should I do? Let the insurance run out and not renew? Or can I cancel just fine and dandy, like the mechanic said?

Oh, and if you see a man named Robbie Hand (or his brother Derek for that matter) selling a bike, do not buy it from him. It's my fault for being stupid enough to buy it from him, but he sold it to me knowing these issues were outstanding, being a "mechanic" himself.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:48 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 14931 from Dublin
1,477 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: CBR 600 RR
Modifications: Bits N Bobs
Default Re: Newfriend fucked up.

If you can afford another bike just buy one and change insurance over, otherwise I'm pretty sure you can cancel without any penalty. Im pretty sure when you are getting insurance they only ask have you ever had a policy cancelled, as in by the insurance company for not producing documents etc and have you ever been refused insurance. I've cancelled a policy in the past and never an issue
Old 16th July 2017, 06:10 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 26492
1,454 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: BMW K100LT92 K100RT84
Modifications: None

What's wrong that's costing €2,500? Something's not right with the amount and worst case scenario breaking up the bike would get a lot of your money back.

Splines on a gear shaft are tricky but if its the splines for the gear lever there are other ways of dealing with that without taking an engine apart. There are others on the forum would find a different way of fixing that one for starters.

If the bike is starting and running and stopping get a list of what needs doing and post it up here. Some may be basics like brake pads/coolant/fluids/filters and they are not difficult. €700 was on the cheap side of things and with a few things sorted you would get that and a bit more back so that its not all lost. In any event buying an older bike you need a budget for some work and you seem to have been prepared for that.

Whether you cut the losses and buy another bike or do some of the work is a call to make and may be a better one if you don't know much about them. €1,000 will buy you a good enough bike if you get some good advice beforehand. What sort of licence have you, is it a first bike, pop up some answers and you will get some good pointers.

Last edited by Olaf Maxwell; 16th July 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 16th July 2017, 07:23 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,900 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

Originally Posted by Olaf Maxwell
What's wrong that's costing 2,500? Something's not right with the amount and worst case scenario breaking up the bike would get a lot of your money back.

Splines on a gear shaft are tricky but if its the splines for the gear lever here are other ways of dealing with that without taking an engine apart. There are others on the forum would find a different way of fixing that one for starters.

If the bike is starting and running and stopping get a list of what needs doing and post it up here. Some may be basics like brake pads/coolant/fluids/filters and they are not difficult. 700 was on the cheap side of things and with a few things sorted you would get that and a bit more back so that its not all lost. In any event buying an older bike you need a budget for some work and you seem to have been prepared for that.

Whether you cut the losses and buy another bike or do some of the work is a call to make and may be a better ne if you don't know much bout hem. 1,000 will buy you a good enough bike if you get some good advice beforehand. What sort of licence have you, is it a first bike, pop up some answers and you will get some good pointers.

Spot on, fully agree, get the list and get back to us,frinstance many a gearlever has been welded on
Old 16th July 2017, 07:36 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 26492
1,454 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: BMW K100LT92 K100RT84
Modifications: None

The Bros was probably worth the price as a spares bike anyway so you probably have not paid over the odds. I would be surprised if you end up spending a lot on it if you can do much yourself and there are lots on the forum who would give you a hand fitting some parts for beers just to help someone out. If it's a first bike and a few things are a bit off may be better to live with them and get/keep it running.
Consider too if you do those basics and maybe tyres you have a fully serviced bike that will serve you with confidence for a good while.
Old 16th July 2017, 09:11 PM
Clem Fandango

Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
793 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird & Husqvarna SM

Surely a replacement engine would only be a few hundred quid. Cheapest option I reckon.
Old 16th July 2017, 09:28 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
157 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

If it helps save some feelings, it was hard enough to get a good runner for 600, 17 years ago that was the asking price for any of the lemmings. The singer Stevie Wonder would be a better mate than I, to bring along to view a potential purchase.

Dumb as as I am, even I know that there are hard to source bits on the bros bikes. If you did choose the breaking route, do your homework and know in advance the value of your parts.

Though the bros is getting long in the tooth now, they were seemingly held in high regard by those who knew them.

I wish you the best with it.
Old 16th July 2017, 09:52 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 12044 from Galway
1,332 posts since Sep 2008
Motorbike: Aprilia RSV4 RF
Modifications: Akrapovic

The drive shaft for front sprocket teeth wears away as eejits overtightened chain. The way ppl got around it was then welding the front spricket on. Then not worry about it til the next poor fecker went to change it. See if he can just weld the sprocket on for you, will last 15-20k km n you'll get your money's worth anyway
Old 16th July 2017, 10:02 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 12855 from munster
939 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: Tdm 900
Modifications: Happy pilot

Worth your while getting a second opinion on bikes viability, also worth asking around breakers for an engine should be loads in the country, don't feel bad about taking a chance on what could have been a good deal I blew nearly 900 e on a non runner earlier this year having convinced myself all it needed was a carb clean, your heart rules your head with bikes that never changes you got one thing in your favour you bought a HONDA
Old 17th July 2017, 10:10 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,389 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

Originally Posted by Jofass
The drive shaft for front sprocket teeth wears away as eejits overtightened chain. The way ppl got around it was then welding the front spricket on. Then not worry about it til the next poor fecker went to change it. See if he can just weld the sprocket on for you, will last 15-20k km n you'll get your money's worth anyway
I'd say that's what has happened alright.
My dad bought a Bros engine a couple of weeks ago to section, and the front sprocket was welded on.

As said, another sprocket could be welded on, which would at least allow you to get some mileage out of it
Old 17th July 2017, 12:24 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 36956
122 posts since Feb 2017
Motorbike: Honda cbr1000rr
Modifications: none

Originally Posted by Gearhead1395
Okape, well I bought an '88 Bros a while back for 700. Needed some work, wasn't unwilling to have that work done since most similar ones I see are twice that price in better condition so I didn't mind too much.

Turns out that the bike's a lemon. Total write-off. I asked my mechanic to change the chains and sprockets and he ended up finding out that there was something wrong with a gear shaft - something to do with splines. Plus some other problems, he claimed it would cost 2,500 to fix everything, so that's that.

Oh, and if you see a man named Robbie Hand (or his brother Derek for that matter) selling a bike, do not buy it from him. It's my fault for being stupid enough to buy it from him, but he sold it to me knowing these issues were outstanding, being a "mechanic" himself.
Sorry, but you bought a bike fully knowing beforehand with info from seller that it needed work..you bought it knowing this

now, your mechanic, tells you that the bike is a lemon ..gear shaft something to do with splines and 2500.0.0 to fix everything which is laughable

Sorry, you can't buy a bike knowing first off that it needs work, and then name the seller and his brother and say don't buy anything off them ...you bought it knowing it had problems, they didn't force you too.

Next , your mechanic..what EXACTLY, did he say ? and how did he come up with the price of repair, he must have gotten a micro fiche for a bros 400 , gone through each part meticulously, listed them and asked for a price list off Honda ? . . . .?

This shit annoys me, you bought the bike with problems and now you are complaining ..fuck that

And your insurance, yes if you can afford to, keep it running for the year, it will go towards your history and no claims, if you can't afford it then explain the situation.

You could buy another "spares bike and do an engine swap..or get the parts you need from it
Old 17th July 2017, 01:55 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,011 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

You can cancel your insurance not a bother. Worse case scenario they'll return a little bit less depending on how much time you waited until cancellation but it's all in your policy.

Normally they'll return 100% no questions asked within the first 14 days and after that it goes like, 80% of the proportional for the first 6 months, 60% after that and so on and so forth... (not exact numbers obviously, but just to give you an idea).

You will not be penalized if you cancel your insurance whatsoever, you would if you make any claims or they cancel you due to no payments or stuff like that.

As above, I'll say that you've got what you paid for and your mechanic is the one trying to rob you, sounds crazy expensive. Get a second opinion and look around for used parts.... or even, strip the bike and sell it for parts. It'll take time but you'll make up your money for sure.

Cheers,
Rami
Old 17th July 2017, 02:34 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 31868
74 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: SV650S 1st gen aka Curvy

Many good advise here. If you can easily buy 450e-600e machine for braking, hoping that 700e "just needs this and that" is not gonna give you a headache was a bit naive. I cant comment on the mechanic quote as we dont have a list of things to be done, but the cost of labour is circa 60e/hour these days, so 8h a day gives already 480 quid.

Now, some of the insurance is to be recovered for sure, minus processing fee, around 50 - 70 quid usually. I think they wont pay back for the last 2-3 months left on policy, but I may remember it wrong, depending on how did you pay for it (all in or monthly).

You shall register at UK Bros forum and sample the waters in terms of worth. Then sell it as is or frankenstein it into 50 parts 10 quid worth each, if you catch me drift.
Old 17th July 2017, 04:06 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,416 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

Originally Posted by Wesifumi
Sorry, but you bought a bike fully knowing beforehand with info from seller that it needed work..you bought it knowing this

now, your mechanic, tells you that the bike is a lemon ..gear shaft something to do with splines and 2500.0.0 to fix everything which is laughable

Sorry, you can't buy a bike knowing first off that it needs work, and then name the seller and his brother and say don't buy anything off them ...you bought it knowing it had problems, they didn't force you too.

Next , your mechanic..what EXACTLY, did he say ? and how did he come up with the price of repair, he must have gotten a micro fiche for a bros 400 , gone through each part meticulously, listed them and asked for a price list off Honda ? . . . .?

This shit annoys me, you bought the bike with problems and now you are complaining ..fuck that

And your insurance, yes if you can afford to, keep it running for the year, it will go towards your history and no claims, if you can't afford it then explain the situation.

You could buy another "spares bike and do an engine swap..or get the parts you need from it
im taking neither side here and know no one involved. theres a difference between buying a bike needing work and buying a bike thats wrote off. he bought the bike needing work and as already stated its wrote off . the cost of the repairs far outweighs the cost of the replacing the bike.

@op...
you can do the welding the sprocket bodge, look after the chain and you might get 20000 before it needs doing again. theres a risk of burning the output shaft seal so id put a new one in and just weld a small bit at a time.
a new shaft from honda ireland is around 200 new (going by transalp ones here) ,it would need new head gaskets and a few bits and if you were going down that road id recommend throwing in new rings . add oil/filter/coolant ,a few shims and your probably talking 350-400 on parts. labours a few hours alright but what else is wrong thats costing the 2 g? .could ya pull the motor out yourself to save on labour ?
Old 17th July 2017, 06:38 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

27 posts since Sep 2016

What's costing €2,500 is the rest. I can't remember exactly the gear shaft thing was but it was something to do with splines. It was definitely a shaft though, not the lever. The mechanic said the engine was working fine, which it was - never had a problem with the engine.

On top of that, the front forks are in a bad way, the chains and sprockets need doing, the rear brake rotor needs replacing, a new rear tire, rear brake caliper needs rebuilding, float bowl needs replacing. The mechanic said that altogether, parts and labour would add up to €2,500 or in and around that.

I'm not well-up on bikes and this is my first one, so I have no idea what to do, which is why I came to you guys. I don't know anything about alternative solutions. All I know is what I was told. I also don't have any tools nor a workspace - my parents won't have the bike anywhere near the house so it's not like I can do anything myself.

If I can salvage this within reasonable price without risking my life, I would appreciate advice on how to do that.

As for you, Wesifumi, I have no problem naming a guy who sold it to me and lied to my face how everything was in great condition inside, that I'd easily get my money back when I sell it on the next year. The fucking fuel pump was fucked, had to get that re-done, and that was only the first thing.

I admit in the post that yes, it was MY fault for buying it, but if those chains or sprockets had gone when I was riding it and I had crashed and died, you wouldn't be so willing to write it off. I'm new, and I believe I was taken advantage of. Either way, I wouldn't risk buying a bike off either of them any more. If you'd like to, go ahead, your life.
Old 17th July 2017, 07:00 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,047 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

Sounds like a money pit. Sometimes you're better off cutting your loses and move on. A breaker would probably give you a couple of hundred for it.
Old 17th July 2017, 07:10 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 8886 from Craggy Island
8,259 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Tae fathers??????
Modifications: Go on,go on,go on,GO ON!!

Originally Posted by Blanka
Sounds like a money pit. Sometimes you're better off cutting your loses and move on. A breaker would probably give you a couple of hundred for it.
I would agree with that......

Get a smaller cc bike, transfer your insurance and get on the road...Don't beat yourself over this 400 and put it down as a lesson & experience, (a bad one at that)........If you had an off on it and hurt yourself its a different matter, you haven't so count your blessings..

Chin up, and look forward...good luck fella..
Old 17th July 2017, 07:27 PM
Wobbling Fledgling
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

27 posts since Sep 2016

If I do simply transfer, what do I say of the bike? That I sold it on or that I scrapped it?
Old 17th July 2017, 09:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 19332 from Dublin
997 posts since Nov 2009
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: KTM SMT 990,BMWs
Modifications: Akra cans, remap,

Originally Posted by Gearhead1395
If I do simply transfer, what do I say of the bike? That I sold it on or that I scrapped it?
You simply changed bike, they wont ask and wont care why as long as you pay the premium and its all above board, no worries
Old 18th July 2017, 12:02 AM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220
14,620 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: suzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzukkkkkkk

yea get another bros and use that one for spares, you could pick up one for handy money,
sorry to read bro, thats just bad luck

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
newfriend

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed