Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 13th July 2017, 11:11 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25910
478 posts since Apr 2011
Motorbike: CBR900RRX & CBR250RR
Default Bike accident from the cage perspective

Guy on Reddit looking for advice after he hit a bike

He posted a link to the video, in case it's someone here he hit. Top comment was telling him to take the video down so it won't be used against him.

Old 13th July 2017, 11:46 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3844 from Dublin South
1,892 posts since Oct 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Z1000SX
Modifications: Your Ma!
Default Re: Bike accident from the cage perspective

The worst sort of mistake to make is trust someone else "letting" you out. Cagers fault for sure. Lack of due care and attention. I had two accidents in similar circumstances and was ruled in my favor on both occasions.
To balance things slightly, biker didn't seem to make any effort to avoid such a low speed knock. Still wont help the cager as cars might have been coming towards the biker and leaving him nowhere to go.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:26 AM

Biker.ie Member No. 32483 from Meath
1,537 posts since Dec 2013
Motorbike: Hornet 6

Cagers fault for sure but it's not he was flying out without looking, just couldn't see round the bus.
Still his fault though
Old 14th July 2017, 12:43 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 28259
68 posts since Feb 2012

Cager at fault no doubt but that lad must have the reaction speed of a camel.
Old 14th July 2017, 04:15 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
157 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by livefastrideslow
Cager at fault no doubt but that lad must have the reaction speed of a camel.
Naw the bus blocked his vision also. Even at such a low speed, the field of view was very short, simply had no time to react.

Look on the bright side though, the biker could have had the misfortune of a plod as a witness to the impact. In my experience of not to dissimilar, that would leave him looking at section 52 of the RTA 1961.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:22 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23564
890 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: Ducati Super Sport

Interesting to note that the guy who posted the video also has posted a video about building robots which can detect obstacles on their right-hand side....I kid you not!!

He even comments why it crashes sometimes:
"There are few reasons why it crashes:
-Sensor isn't looking at the object, it is very directional so it is easy to miss things.
-Distance before reacting is set too low
-The sensor output is not linear, so anything closer than 15cm, the sensor thinks it is farther away as it gets closer. -And as you said, black surfaces absorb some of the IR, so the distance isn't accurate. You can fix all of those by setting the threshold distance higher."

Perhaps he should apply his own understanding to his driving!!!!

Last edited by Burt_Munro; 14th July 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:59 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,013 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

cager's fault hands down, but it does look like an unfortunate event more than any of the two involved being reckless or anything like that.

Seems like a small bump too so hopefully the biker was unharmed.

Exchange insurance papers, fix what was broken and move on.
Old 14th July 2017, 09:12 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23564
890 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: Ducati Super Sport

Non-courteous driving by the silver cage was a contributing factor but they probably never even knew what they started and I can't say they broke any laws.
Old 14th July 2017, 09:15 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 33197
1,317 posts since May 2014
Motorbike: zx10
Modifications: a few

not saying the biker was at fault,
but his awareness wasn't great.
he would of seen the cage before
the driver seen him.
unfortunate for all involved, if it had of been
another cage letting him out it would never of happened.
Old 14th July 2017, 09:25 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 13490
1,345 posts since Dec 2008
Motorbike: Triumph

Originally Posted by dec c
not saying the biker was at fault,
but his awareness wasn't great.
he would of seen the cage before
the driver seen him.
unfortunate for all involved, if it had of been
another cage letting him out it would never of happened.
Agreed. I'd be dissapointed if I was the biker and didn't anticipate there could be trouble passng a bus. It could have easily been a fucktard of a pedestrian with headphones on or strung out.
Old 14th July 2017, 10:08 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 31868
76 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: SV650S 1st gen aka Curvy

Firstly, I hope the biker is not injured, sure low speed but you can still brake a leg like that.

Yep the car driver fecked up but I guess it's probably more like 80/20 situation. How any of us would execute the right turn in that car, in that situation? would you wait 30 more seconds, moved out a bit slower? Ya know what I mean.

Now you dont overtake a standstill traffic if you dont know all your the entrances/exits along the way for the reason shown. I am not a smart alec here, I learned the hard way while hitting the car that suddenly executed a turn in front of me. But we were both adults about it, more serious shit happens every day, and we settled with notifying the insurers, sign the statements etc. NCDs saved, handshakes and good-lucks exchanged. We both cut through a solid line you see.

Lesson for the parties involved and for the rest of us, no matter how many miles you do on the bike, every day is a new scenario slightly different from before, one can never be too cocky (I am not saying the biker was) about own skill set.
Old 14th July 2017, 10:37 AM
One Armed Git

Biker.ie Member No. 12895 from Swords
1,679 posts since Oct 2008
Motorbike: CTX 700N
Modifications: A few

Taxi drivers fault he should have let him out first, going nowhere in that traffic and still pulls up in front to block him getting out cunts so they are in the mornings always try to squeeze you when filtering etc.. rant over
Old 14th July 2017, 10:43 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,261 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Hi nelly/sherco 290/300

if you slow it right down, biker sees cage almost as soon as it becomes visible to him, he looks rght at it, and continues to keep looking at it, cager is no doubt looking to his left, biker for some reason is transfixed , doesnt brake or avoid, only grabs clutch at moment of impact, cager at fault for not paying enough attention, but biker is probably kicking himself for switcghing off momentarily, there would have been a big enough gap from bus to silver cage , he was unsighted by bus, its usually qwhere dumb ass peds stick their beak out
Old 14th July 2017, 11:29 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,292 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

Wasn't directly the bikers fault, but he might have given himself more of a chance if he'd kept out a bit to improve visibility round the bus. It's easier filtering past cars as you can see more over the roof and through the windows; you can see bugger all on what's happening on the blind side of high-sided vehicles like that.

The first good scare from the likes of a ped stepping out wakens you up to that fairly sharpish
Old 14th July 2017, 12:16 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35359
119 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: pointy SV650s
Modifications: heated exhaust, sunroof

[]vince086 [S] 2 points 11 hours ago
The camera is mounted in the middle (behind the rear view mirror) so it has a slightly better field of view. At the time the bus was blocking most of my view so was going slow. Also had been doing that manoeuvre for more than 6 months and never saw a bike coming from there so you're right, was looking out for traffic from the left. At least I learned to be more vigilant.

how can this comment be saved so the biker can get his hands on it? Even in case the guy deletes it? if there is any friction at all with a claim going through here's an admission of not looking right at all

I have downloaded the video but don't know how to save all the comments on reddit about it.. massive admission of guilt there
Old 14th July 2017, 12:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,397 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: XR250 / XR650L / 1150GS

The bikers reactions were almost non-existant. Eejit should've been on the ball especially passing a bus (or van) where you can't see what may be just about to pop out from infront of it - could be a cage, could be a pram with a young child in it.
Biker would be 80% at fault in my view
Old 14th July 2017, 12:24 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 26492
1,454 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: BMW K100LT92 K100RT84
Modifications: None

If the collision had been a biker hitting a pedestrian instead the rider would be held 100% responsible.

It's very reasonable to expect a pedestrian to appear out from the front of a stationary bus in traffic like that. Happens all the time. It's also reasonable to suggest the driver could poke his nose out to alert anyone coming up outside the bus before pulling out all the way.

Some advanced riding skills are needed to anticipate the risk, on two wheels you don't have the same level of protection.

Just lucky no one hurt and probably not much damage either.

Quite a lot to be learned from that clip, from both sides. It's one anyone learning on 2 wheels should watch. Everyone is quick to blame the driver but forgetting that if it was a pedestrian the rider would be carrying the can.

The clever are good at getting out of situations the wise would never get into. You have to apply that to riding on 2 wheels.

How about if you are coming past the bus like that but slower, you slow down and see someone trying to get out and let him out? Bonus points all round and a heap more goodwill on the road.

Last edited by Olaf Maxwell; 14th July 2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:33 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 16858 from dublin
220 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: R1 , GSX 1100, FZ1
Modifications: 80's kit

Biker could have prevented it for sure was he day dreaming? even with the bus he can see through the windows if he bothered to look. cage was obviously only looking left. Understandable from their view but its just unfortunate really
Old 14th July 2017, 12:46 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 35359
119 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: pointy SV650s
Modifications: heated exhaust, sunroof

we can have that conversation here because we know what it is like but it just can not be said from a cage perspective that the bike was any way in the wrong.

he may have not done 100% the right thing in terms of keeping himself safe but he can not be blamed in terms of fault. the car driver admits he did not look AT ALL it could have been a pram coming out from in front of the bus but it equally could have been guards or an ambulance doing going up the opposite lane and the micra would have hit them all because he admits he did not look right
Old 14th July 2017, 12:47 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27774
115 posts since Nov 2011

Bus driver didn't exactly help either, when I'm in the work cage I always check my mirrors in situations like that and try to help the other driver pulling out

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
accident, bike, cage, perspective

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed