Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Join Us! Mobile Version Racing Section Mark Forums Read Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Old 30th January 2017, 06:34 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5574 from Clonmel
783 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Yamaha R1, YZ250
Default fzr 250 project.

hi all, said id make a thread for this, currently doing up an 89 yamaha fzr250, where do i start??

well i bought the bike way back in feb 2005, suffered terribly with it (carbs what else) spent an arm and a leg trying to get it to run, fucked it in the corner of the shed out of sheer frustration and went on in my biking life with a succession of gsxr's and yzf r1's etc.

But getting the little fizzer going has always been in the back of my mind, back in 05 there was really no info on them, being a jap import and all the manuals in japanese, most mechanics here wouldn't touch them and nobody really knew anything about how to keep them running.

but things have changed, theres the internet, google translate and web forums so theres always an answer to be found somewhere, so decided why not try and just gonna give it a go as something to do over the winter.

so up on the lift she went:

Click the image to open in full size.

first up was to get her running but the carbs were in a horrible state from being idle so long.

This is a before pic of the carb bodies, I donít have any of the inside of the carbs, but they were proper gummed up.

so i whipped them out and ordered a rebuild kit from Litetek and a few weeks later these arrived:

Itís a really comprehensive kit and fair play to the owner of litetek (Blair) for manufacturing them as even when i first got the bike back in 2005, carb kits and seals in particular were absolute unobtainium.

So anyway I knocked up an organiser out of some scrap wood to keep everything nice and together and most importantly in order!! And begun stripping:

New throttle shaft seals, before and after:

New jet housing and needle housing seals:

Seals for the jets themselves:

New seals for the mixture screws:

Seals for the floats:

Float bowl seals:

I comprehensively cleaned the carbs, first in an ultrasonic cleaner, then removed and cleaned with a set of carb brushes I got off ebay and finally blew out all the channels with compressed air and carburettor cleaner, the results I think speak for themselves.

So after all that, and a quick bench sync, it was time to fire her up and see how she ranÖÖÖ..
Old 30th January 2017, 06:39 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

783 posts since May 2007
Default Re: fzr 250 project.

it was time to finally get her fired up and see how she ran, so I hooked up the battery, rigged up a fuel supply and hit the starter………nothing, she tried to turn over a few times then just started making this weird clicking noise from the relay.

Some of you may have seen my thread on the matter:

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=235952

Turns out that the neutral sensor switch and oil level switch were plugged into the wrong connectors.
So now the bike is running its time to move on to getting it rideable, first thing it will need is fuel, so it was time to do a job on the fuel tank.

I removed the filler cap and fuel pick up for easier access, the tank had been sitting on a loft in the garage for circa 12 years now and predictably was in a terrible state:

That stuff you see at the bottom is some form of epoxy resin used as a previous attempt at lining the tank to stop the rust and as you will see below, it was an absolute BITCH to get out.

So I started with trying to chip it all off with a large screwdriver and a hammer, it was painful work done over a few evenings and due to the shape of the tank and the small size of the filler opening It literally took hours and hours, but eventually we got to the end of it.

This is just some of the shite that came out of the tank:

so after some research online it was decided that POR-15 was the only man for the job, so I placed an order to polishnparts.ie in cork and 2 days later it arrived at my door. And only cost €61.40 delivered, cheaper than anywhere else I could find it online!!

It’s a three part tank treatment comprising of a cleaner, a rust converter, and finally a lining paint.

So after flushing the tank a couple of times with water I bunged up the hole for the fuel pick up at the bottom with some ear plugs stuffed in and mixed up the cleaner with some hot water:

You swish it around for 20 mins and then drain the fluid out, its absolutely savage stuff, the gunk and shite that came out of it:

Next up was the metal prep, again this stuff is the absolute business, you mix it up with hot water the same as before and swish it around for 20 mins to make sure it gets into every nook and cranny, my arms were hanging off me at this stage so was happy to see that you then just set the tank down in different positions for 20 mins or so at a time and after about 2 hours you drain it out.

Its absolutely magic stuff I couldn’t believe my eyes when I seen what the inside looked like.

So next was out with the hot air gun and blow out all the water, this part is critical because the lining paint uses the moisture in the air to dry so if there is any drops of moisture left in the tank it goes off right away and wont adhere properly to the tank. So to be sure I left it in beside the stove for the night.

Next morning and it was time to fire in the final part:

Again you have to swirl it around to make sure it gets into every nook and cranny and then drain out the excess and let it sit for 4 days to dry. so I pulled the bungs out and let it sit.

So that’s pretty much it up to now, got a brand new air filter in the post today, so hopefully gonna get her all sealed up and synchronise the carbs this week.

The plan then will be a case of getting the thing safe to ride so checking/rebuilding the brakes, swingarm and linkage bearings, fork seals, headstem bearings and tyres. Once its running properly and safe then I will worry about making it look pretty, so will tidy up the fairings and see about maybe possibly respraying a few bits, don’t want to spend a mad amount on it but it would be nice to have her looking well in the end.

Last edited by dean_c; 30th January 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 30th January 2017, 07:15 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34102 from South Kilkenny
68 posts since Nov 2014
Motorbike: XJR & TZR 3MA in bits...

Nice one...2 lads down my way had them 20 odd years ago brings back lots of memories, hope all goes well after your effort...
Old 30th January 2017, 07:24 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,155 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

do the valve clearances and then check compressions ok . they were huers for wearing out and then lads went at the carbs when it started running crap .
Old 30th January 2017, 07:40 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

Originally Posted by chopper
do the valve clearances and then check compressions ok . they were huers for wearing out and then lads went at the carbs when it started running crap .
yup!! had a rummage around an old folder cos while i had a vague recollection, i just couldnt remember if the valves were actually done or if it was just on the to do list:

done in july 05 it seems, hasnt moved much since
Old 30th January 2017, 09:35 PM
spanner spinner

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,155 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

does that say if its inlets or exhaust .theres a reason i ask.
Old 30th January 2017, 10:04 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 25594 from Kildare
465 posts since Mar 2011

Great thread..
Whay size, type of ultrasonic cleaner are you using.?
Tks.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:44 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 11562 from Dublin
305 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Vstrom 650, gb500tt

Good work
Old 30th January 2017, 11:57 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35351 from carrick
399 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: vtr 1000. spondon mori,
Modifications: a long expensive list

class work. some major faffing about but will be well worth it.
Old 28th February 2017, 03:58 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

@ chopper, it didnít say, to be honest Iím not even sure if they were actually done so Iím going to do them again anyway while the engine is out just to be safe.

@ doohanno1 I got the large one of these:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/191699542143?ul_noapp=true

itís just a cheap ass Chinese yoke, but it does the job. it was a bit of a fiasco actually cos the first time I used it water started pissing out of it, turns out there was a weld cracked at the bottom of the tank, so the seller offered me an 85% refund and I just brought it to a local lad to get it welded up, so all in it only cost me around Ä60.
Old 28th February 2017, 03:59 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

Ok so plenty to write up, I decided to start at the back of the bike to try unstick the calliper and check the swingarm and linkage bearings, so began disassembling,

Obviously you canít tell these things from the outside but as you can see from the pics I was pessimistic as to the state of what I would find inside, but it turned out the bearings were in really good nick, spun nicely, not too loud and didnít feel gritty at all, so I just cleaned them up and re-greased them.

then moved on to cleaning up the shock, I cleaned it up as best I could, but after scrubbing off all the muck it turned out to be pretty goosed. unsurprisingly for an almost 30-year-old shock the chrome had worn off the rod and it had begun to rust.

I had another one spare but to be honest although itís a bit better itís still pretty rough, so I have another Idea in my head. apparently a shock off an R6 pretty much bolts straight in and I may have a lead on one going pretty cheap so we will see how it goes but this one will do for the mean time.

Ready for reassembly

Old 28th February 2017, 03:59 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

So after all that I was still waiting for the calliper seals to arrive, I had also ordered headstock bearings and fork seals, and after seeing the state of the rear end said what the heck, might as well go all in and take the engine and front end off and clean the whole thing up, so bike went from this

To this:

So I decided to disassemble the forks because the left one was leaking and as soon as I had the dust cap off could see that the oil seal had previously been put in backwards hence the leak, the fork oil that came out was pretty bad and resembled muddy river water!! Also there was a washer missing between the oil seal and the bush on the same fork.
On the upside, the previous owner had at least tried to do something about the fairy soft suspension and there were extra spacers put in to help stiffen up the spring, I then added 15w oil to the mix to try help stiffen it a bit more.

Drove in the seals with a homemade seal driver

And all done.

Old 28th February 2017, 04:00 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

Next up was the headstock bearings. The standard bearing set up for the FZR are the loose roller ball bearings sandwiched between two seals, I decided to replace those with the tapered roller bearings used on more modern machines

However, my c-spanner is too big to tighten up the crown nut to seat the bearing properly, so Iíve ordered a new one, so while Iím waiting I decided to attack the rear braking system.

The rear calliper was badly seized and needed a lot of ďpersuasionĒ to get it off the rear disk. It kept up the fight as I was trying to remove the pistons which were extremely seized and I eventually (thanks to a tip I got off this site) managed to free them using an airline which freed the piston alrightÖÖÖ..but also sent it 15ft across the shed!! Ill cover it with a towel next time.

So I stripped the calliper and got it ready to be repainted, I doused it in some nitromorse paint stripper, then used a toothbrush and some steel wool to remove the paint

And repainted in heat resistant satin black.

Then it was on to the rear master cylinder, same story it was in dire need of some attention

So again I cleaned it up and repainted

Old 28th February 2017, 04:01 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

This is where I am currently, just waiting for the paint to dry so I can reassemble, Iím also waiting on a low range torque wrench to arrive so I can whip the head off and check the valve clearances, so hopefully all things going well Iím hoping to be able to start putting the bike back together next week.

I could do with a front H-Frame if anyone has one lying around the one i have is missing the arms that hold up the mirrors, will just have to weld one up if i cant source one, and also am in need of some footpegs but apart from that I think it should be straightforward from here on in fingers crossed. looking forward to next week and i can get cracking with this

Old 14th March 2017, 10:57 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

ok so update time:

Front master cylinder/fluid reservoir was completely seized and needed a refurb, so stripped it down, gave it a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and prepped for paint.

it came up really nice, certainly an improvement on what it was. If anyone knows any good tips on how to get the sight glass clean that would be nice too, theres a tiny slit to allow the fluid in but i cant get in at it with anything to clean it which is kind of annoying.

my c-spanner finally arrived so i could tighten the headstock and start putting the bike back together.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have rolling chassis

Should really be able to see the progress from here on in, especially when the valve clearances are done and the engine is back in the frame.

just a couple of things, does anyone know if the footpegs and brake levers are standard enough on yamahas of this era?? im going to need a new set so if anyone has experience of getting relatively cheap generic versions and can link me up with their recommendations then that would be appreciated.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:08 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

My torque wrench has finally arrived so it was time to go play with the valve clearances, so off with the rocker cover and align the cams to TDC.

Then took the clearances with a feeler guage and wrote down the numbers, and repeated for the other cylinders in turn after rotating them to TDC, taking note of the firing order 1-2-4-3

The numbers revealed the clerances to be in general on the tight side with most slightly under the minimum limit.

then off with the cam retainers and remove camchain tensioner:

then loosen the chain and slip out the cams, i put an extension bar through the camchain to stop it from falling into the engine.

trying to keep things organised

then removed the buckets and shims with a magnet, some of the numbers were faded but managed to make them out on all except two of the shims, so I will have to find a way of measuring them tomorrow.

so thats todays work done, gonna take a trip down to the bike shop tomorrow to see if i can get my hands on the shims i need and hopefully get the engine reassembled tomorrow and back in the frame asap.

Old 14th March 2017, 11:33 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23039
3,928 posts since Jul 2010

Savage pics there lad, really showing every detail, best of look with her, I had the 600 fer a while, havent got the skills ta do her justice ,,,, sold it on ta 2 strokey a few years back
Old 15th March 2017, 08:04 AM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34102 from South Kilkenny
68 posts since Nov 2014
Motorbike: XJR & TZR 3MA in bits...

Any local engineering place would have a micrometer to measure the shims,I've one in Waterford if your stuck. Great work
Old 15th March 2017, 11:59 AM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
18,658 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Good to see an old school uniform shirt coming in handy.
Old 25th April 2017, 10:40 PM
Supporter

783 posts since May 2007

Update time:

New shims arrived and were installed, had to try make a gasket for the cam chain tensioner out of some gasket paper cos the one that was in it ripped when I took it out but now finally the engine (after some serious arm wrestling) is back in the bike.

Then I spent some time torqueing all the chassis bolts and putting the wiring in, very very glad at this stage for the time spent labelling all the connections.

Thank fook for the google translate mobile app!!

Snipped approx. 10mm off the HT leads to make sure no Verdigris set in and ensure a better connection.

Installed new exhaust seals and set up the exup

Then it was time to tackle the front brakes, this turned into a bit of an ordeal and they fought me literally every step of the way!! Even the seals I ordered turned out to be too small and I had to get a new set sent out.
The pistons were badly seized, compressed air wouldn’t budge them, so I had to get a little creative and hooked up the master cylinder to a spare handlebar I had lying around, set up a few G-clamps and used pieces of rubber as a seal on the channel's that joins the two halves together, and just pumped one piston out at a time.

Then had to scour the country to source a new h-frame, as the original one has for some unknown reason had the brackets for the mirrors cut off.

So here she is as of today………..

Still loads of small little things to do, I need to source a casing for the exup valve badly as the wires are just hanging off. Also ordered a new chain and as soon as that arrives I should be able to start a few shakedown runs on her to see if everythings ok, and then the real fun will start as the carbs have only been bench synced so have yet to be properly set up and tuned properly.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Tags
250, fzr, project

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed