Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Old 15th July 2017, 03:26 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34285 from Tipperary
257 posts since Jan 2015
Motorbike: SV650s
Default Re: fzr 250 project.

Love reading these build threads, keep up the good work
Old 6th August 2017, 11:09 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 36371 from Dublin16
22 posts since Jul 2016
Motorbike: SuzukiGS550
Modifications: none

Excellent, dedicated, meticulous work, hope it goes ok after all that. Those old Japs can be an expensive nightmare to get right. Old British bikes are a lot easier to restore, single carb, drum brakes, etc. Your article would go down well in Motorcycle Mechanics magazine.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:10 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 5574 from Clonmel
791 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: Yamaha R1, FZR250 exup.

Got the last few bits in the post so it was time to get cracking before the weather turns to shite again!! As mentioned in my last update the sight glass for the front brake reservoir started leaking, soaking my lovely shiny new paintwork in brake fluid, this obviously had to be addressed so a new glass and rubber seal was ordered and arrived so it was off with the reservoir and on to the bench.

The old glass was dispensed with a swift blow of a hammer, the groove for the seal was quite corroded so I cleaned it up with some wire wool and installed the new sight-glass, with a cloth underneath a well-fitting socket and some gentle taps of a hammer.

Click the image to open in full size.

The new intake manifolds arrived and were promptly fitted, this was the best moment of the build so far as the engine instantly settled into a lovely idle, so I bolted the tank back on and made a few shakedown runs of a few kilometres then to see how she ran and if I forgot to tighten up anything or anything needed doing.

the bike was a revelation compared to what I remembered it, she carburated really well off the throttle, even pulling high gear roll-on’s under load where previously it would have flooded itself and died, I was really happy with it and just had to make a couple of minor adjustments to the gear linkage and adjust the angles of the front levers a bit, its stull a bit fluffy around 10,000rpm and picks up again around 12,000 but I’m confident I can tune that out with a bit more fiddling.

The bodywork is “all there” as they say, but it does need plenty of attention and a complete respray if it’s to ever be back to its best, I haven’t decided what I’m going to do in that area just yet and it’s probably going to go on the long finger but regardless of that I still had to do some work on the fairings just to get them to fit the bike and not blow off and to prevent any further deterioration.

The right hand rear panel was missing both its lugs, so I fashioned some new ones out of some 10mm ABS plastic rods and welded them in.
Then I had to tidy up some severe cracks, one of which was so bad it threatened to split the panel in half so I reinforced it by welding in some ABS plastic strips so its good and strong for the time being.

I only repaired them from the rear side for the moment as I will do a proper job on them at some stage in the future, i just wanted them to be functional rather than pretty for now, so here she is all buttoned up.

And for its first spin and bath in almost 13 years!!!

So that’s that, the bike is done, well not done done, but done for now at least, just want to get out and enjoy her for a bit, and as winter is coming, it will soon be time to move on to the next project, something completely different this year!!

A 1979 yamaha xs-650. So ill start a new thread in the next few months for the 650, and maybe some small updates to this one as I decide whether or not I want to learn how to spray paint………..

Thanks for all the well wishes lads, its been a journey!!

Last edited by dean_c; 6th September 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:14 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37521 from Swords, Co Dublin
45 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: Honda XL600V

Such a handsome bike those FZRs are, looks great, best of luck with it.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:35 PM
Broke racer.

Biker.ie Member No. 2633 from The Pale
18,832 posts since Jan 2006
Motorbike: SS600 R6 #36 LWSS ZXR400 #36 CR125
Modifications: Shit loads for a shit rider!

Looks great. Must be a great feeling looking back at your job well done.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:51 PM
Supporter

791 posts since May 2007

Originally Posted by neacon88
Such a handsome bike those FZRs are, looks great, best of luck with it.
thanks lad

Originally Posted by PJ
Looks great. Must be a great feeling looking back at your job well done.
yeah it was good fun pottering around on it this morning, still seems a bit weird holding the revs at 12,000 rpm and looking over at the speedo and shes only doing 110kph!! feels a bit anti-social but i suppose thats the charm of these wee things, it certainly feels a bit different to my R1 thats for sure!!
Old 6th September 2017, 08:29 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,067 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

Nice job. I like that you focused on the mechanical bits and made a good rider rather than a show pony
Old 6th September 2017, 10:16 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1913 from Limerick
1,906 posts since Jun 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Suzuki GSXR1000L5
Modifications: Yoshi R11 & few bits

Still some gifted people out there
Old 6th September 2017, 10:50 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2533 from "Sunny" South East
902 posts since Dec 2005

Very enjoyable read and a nice bike at the end of it.

Perseverance is the name of the game sometimes, even if it took 13 years you got it sorted, Great Job
Old 8th September 2017, 12:32 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35351 from carrick
472 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: vtr 1000. spondon mori,
Modifications: a long expensive list

great to see it turned out well for you...great work.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:28 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 33634 from sligeach
2,468 posts since Aug 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: almost an xt
Modifications: Yep

I just had a great read here, it's a brill rebuild thread lad, well done you, I love these posts, she kept you busy and the pics were spot on, as was the script, the bike looks great, I look forward to the xs build.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:07 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
204 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Suzuki SV650 K5
Modifications: Eh.......

Well done Dean.

The hard part is behind you now!

Do you mind me asking if you had one particular source for the OE parts or was there a lot of trawling the interwebz too?
Old 20th September 2017, 02:36 PM
Supporter

791 posts since May 2007

Originally Posted by Pumbaa the warthog
I just had a great read here, it's a brill rebuild thread lad, well done you, I love these posts, she kept you busy and the pics were spot on, as was the script, the bike looks great, I look forward to the xs build.
Thanks man, yeah shes alright, ive done some more work on the plastics since the last post, will put up some pics when i get around to it but its mainly finished and i can do the rest of the tidying while im waiting for parts for the xs, which i still havent gotten around to yet cause the shed needs a good sorting out and the R1 badly needs a good service........ always something right??

hope you find something soon anyway, was really enjoying that 400 you were building before you moved it on, hopefully will have better luck with the next one.

Originally Posted by pedrosixfour
Well done Dean.

The hard part is behind you now!

Do you mind me asking if you had one particular source for the OE parts or was there a lot of trawling the interwebz too?
Yep, a little bit of both, first thing to do is download the parts book microfiche for your machine, these give you all the part numbers and descriptions etc, then simply google the part numbers you're looking for. fowlers of bristol were also a really good contact and have an online microfiche for most models.

https://ie.fowlersparts.co.uk/

and if they didnt have it then theres a crowd called motors head japan.

http://www.parts-sale.jp/

their website is a bit shit but if you have the part numbers to hand then they are probably the cheapest source of oem parts that ive found in japan especially when you include shipping which is normally the killer.

Last edited by dean_c; 20th September 2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 20th September 2017, 03:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 36909 from Laois/Offaly
204 posts since Jan 2017
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Suzuki SV650 K5
Modifications: Eh.......

Originally Posted by dean_c
Yep, a little bit of both, first thing to do is download the parts book microfiche for your machine, these give you all the part numbers and descriptions etc, then simply google the part numbers you're looking for. fowlers of bristol were also a really good contact and have an online microfiche for most models.

https://ie.fowlersparts.co.uk/

and if they didnt have it then theres a crowd called motors head japan.

http://www.parts-sale.jp/

their website is a bit shit but if you have the part numbers to hand then they are probably the cheapest source of oem parts that ive found in japan especially when you include shipping which is normally the killer.
Jaysus, that's absolutely spot-on Dean, thanks very much for the info mate.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat > Classic Motorbikes

Tags
250, fzr, project

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed