Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Old 28th March 2006, 09:32 AM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 2410 from cratloe
577 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: cbr900/cb400superfour/triumph 350/james 150
Angry

i just got my bike from being crashed the front end was all messed up but since i got it back it has blown two sets of forks seals in two weeks any suggestion of what it could be before i ring meskells in limerick and do my nut they said they replaced the fork tubes i dont think they did .any suggestions as to what it might be would be cool
Old 28th March 2006, 09:47 AM
grumpy old man

Biker.ie Member No. 2439 from Tallafornia.
1,717 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: Bandit 1250s

Sounds like they skimped somewhere alright to blow 2 sets of seals
Bring it back and give them a fcukin lash :angry:
Old 28th March 2006, 09:51 AM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 1942 from Celbridge, Co. Kildare
751 posts since Jun 2005

How do you mean 'blown' the seals?? Have the seals actually ruptured or are they simply leaking?? If the seals are leaking repeatedly and have been replaced then it's probable that the teflon bushing under the seal is damaged - they can be very easily damaged during installation as they can be a b*tch to seat properly without the proper tooling. Most people use a very narrow and flat screwdriver (well I do anyway ) but the bushings can be easily damaged if you're too heavy handed, especially the teflon coating - it comes off really easily.
Old 28th March 2006, 10:01 AM
WSB Contender
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 2410 from cratloe
577 posts since Nov 2005
Motorbike: cbr900/cb400superfour/triumph 350/james 150

tyhanks lads johnny they pissed all the oil up the forks and all over my brakes twice the guy at meskells said he replaced them after the crash and then again a week after
Old 28th March 2006, 10:34 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2733
3,486 posts since Feb 2006

Possible causes....How long is a piece of string.

No. 1 Are both left & right blowing?

Is there air pressure in these type forks?...too much ?
would you remember any distinguishing marks on the tubes from when you were cleaning / polishing etc ?
did they actually change them, or are they bent - causing side wear, but even so ....a week!....bit soon even for structural issues to be the cause.

Anything else is an internal issue and opening them up is the only way to check any other possible causes.. like...are the seals in upside down?

How's the mechanic...Did you by any chance see a Haynes manual open when you got there? (No offence..I don't know Mescalls)..ehm ...only heard a story of them "restricting" some girls new Triumph by putting a self tapper on the trottle twist
Old 14th April 2006, 08:16 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 2508 from co.wex
924 posts since Dec 2005

QUOTE(Johnny Wishbone @ Mar 28 2006, 10:51 AM) 51084
How do you mean 'blown' the seals?? Have the seals actually ruptured or are they simply leaking?? If the seals are leaking repeatedly and have been replaced then it's probable that the teflon bushing under the seal is damaged - they can be very easily damaged during installation as they can be a b*tch to seat properly without the proper tooling. Most people use a very narrow and flat screwdriver (well I do anyway ) but the bushings can be easily damaged if you're too heavy handed, especially the teflon coating - it comes off really easily.
when i done them on my zx6 i used an old bearing housin :thumbsup: it worked a treat 2 get the seal in even an level.

now there are gone in the blade an the fork insert is of bigger diameter,so may turn the garage upside down 2 find something that will do the same job,
Old 15th April 2006, 12:50 PM
vintage biatch

Biker.ie Member No. 1841 from meath
53,818 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: jap brit and euro
Modifications: mud

QUOTE(Airman @ Mar 28 2006, 11:34 AM) 51106
Possible causes....How long is a piece of string.

No. 1 Are both left & right blowing?

Is there air pressure in these type forks?...too much ?
would you remember any distinguishing marks on the tubes from when you were cleaning / polishing etc ?
did they actually change them, or are they bent - causing side wear, but even so ....a week!....bit soon even for structural issues to be the cause.

Anything else is an internal issue and opening them up is the only way to check any other possible causes.. like...are the seals in upside down?

How's the mechanic...Did you by any chance see a Haynes manual open when you got there? (No offence..I don't know Mescalls)..ehm ...only heard a story of them "restricting" some girls new Triumph by putting a self tapper on the trottle twist
saw a gpz restricted that way in wales and apparently its legal too.sounds like them forks are fooked.2 seals at once is a real sign of bent forks.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > The Workshop

Tags
fork, forks, seals