Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 13th August 2018, 03:24 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22789 from Up around the bend
1,128 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Honda 250 Rally, Hornet 6
Modifications: flux capacitor
Default Re: Opinions please

Originally Posted by Gixxer
I bet he was, and I think we all know who it is

I still think it's shit to use this place as leverage, even if the independent BMW mechanic is a wanker.
I think it's shit to have to use this place as leverage

I had a bad experience with a BMW years ago and after 3 months without a bike I sold it to the shop and took a 3K hit--and that is why I ride a Honda.
Old 13th August 2018, 06:16 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,779 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

Originally Posted by silver fox
I think it's shit to have to use this place as leverage

I had a bad experience with a BMW years ago and after 3 months without a bike I sold it to the shop and took a 3K hit--and that is why I ride a Honda.
I think you're absolutely right
Old 13th August 2018, 10:02 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 37435 from Blanch
466 posts since Jul 2017
Motorbike: dublin bus
Modifications: standard adult fare

Originally Posted by mjfitzpa
snip
ya are back to biking after a layoff of some years and fair play to ya. Ya could use the site to its full potential should ya so desire. Making friends on here and enjoining the real men on weekend ride outs, propping bars and telling tall tales. The ball is in your court and ya should start by making an introduction thread for the lads to get to know ya.
Old 14th August 2018, 05:35 PM
Kind of a big deal

Biker.ie Member No. 7345 from Wickla
1,721 posts since Nov 2007
Motorbike: BMW C1 (Pat Kenny Colours)
Modifications: I Like'em LOUD

Right, I wasnít going to come on here because as someone rightly said, it would just be a case of he said/I said because obviously I have a completely different take on this story. Iím glad that there are some people on here that can use a bit of common sense and realise if people are coming on here to moan, it is with an agenda.

Couple of points I want to clarify:

1. Some one previous to me botched a incorrect part to make this bike/abs work. This was not apparent until I started fitting a part at the request of the customer ( I did not try and sell said part, it was his suggestion) . I am unable/unwilling to botch incorrect parts onto motorbikes. If that makes me a chancer, so be it

2. As some people have stated on here and I am acutely aware, someone can pay a mere Ä20/Ä25 and take me to small claims court with nothing but ďhe said/she saidĒ and that takes a lot of my time and money. This is my livelihood and much as Iíd like to do what other, bigger dealers may do in this situation, often I have to try and resolve things that are no fault of mine to avoid an attack on my livelihood. With this in mind, AFTER this customer mentioned the bike was being fixed to sell, I offered to buy the bike as I would sell without the offending ABS. I offered him Ä500 under what what he said he was looking for for the bike at this time, Not unfair IMO, He actually agreed to sell to me at this price, but then later bailed, i then offered him his asking price but he wasn't even happy with that. This is also why I made a considered attempt to get this bike back to the botched condition it was in before returning it to the customer, against my better judgement.

Iím not going into the specifics of all this, I didnít want to post at all because it seems a bit inappropriate but it is very difficult to read and see my lifeís work pulled to pieces, something my 700+ customers would dispute. Iíve been a member of this forum since 2007 but someone can join purely to present one-sided facts and regardless of intent, form somewhat of a misrepresentation of my work and this stinks.
I wonít be coming back on here and commenting again, Iíve had enough sleepless nights over this. One thing Iíd mention, this bike came into me unsafe for road use and was returned to the customer in this state at his request. I have a disclaimer signed to this end and the chancer that I am, I would advise anyone looking to buy this bike to check the work has been done first.

Mark.
Old 14th August 2018, 06:18 PM
Resident gynaecologist

It was obvious why he started this thread, and there are always 2 sides to every story. Maybe you should have nipped it in the bud and told your side a bit earlier.
Old 14th August 2018, 08:11 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,981 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

I have been riding BMW GS's since 2015 and have done approx 80,000kms on 2 seperate 2007 models so as you can imagine, I have gone throught the usual FD , drive shaft, ABS and suspension issues. Mark has looked after (and is still looking after) those bikes.................I can genuinely say that I have never been handed a bill by him that I wasn't happy with or needed to question.

In my experience, he always goes above and beyond to help you through whatever bike crisis you happen to have found yourself in.

I can only speak for myself, so there you have it!!!
Old 14th August 2018, 08:58 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 4372 from DUBLIN
5,712 posts since Jan 2007
Motorbike: Suzuki DL650 V STROM..

Originally Posted by Linford Christie
Right, I wasnít going to come on here because as someone rightly said, it would just be a case of he said/I said because obviously I have a completely different take on this story. Iím glad that there are some people on here that can use a bit of common sense and realise if people are coming on here to moan, it is with an agenda.

Couple of points I want to clarify:

1. Some one previous to me botched a incorrect part to make this bike/abs work. This was not apparent until I started fitting a part at the request of the customer ( I did not try and sell said part, it was his suggestion) . I am unable/unwilling to botch incorrect parts onto motorbikes. If that makes me a chancer, so be it

2. As some people have stated on here and I am acutely aware, someone can pay a mere Ä20/Ä25 and take me to small claims court with nothing but ďhe said/she saidĒ and that takes a lot of my time and money. This is my livelihood and much as Iíd like to do what other, bigger dealers may do in this situation, often I have to try and resolve things that are no fault of mine to avoid an attack on my livelihood. With this in mind, AFTER this customer mentioned the bike was being fixed to sell, I offered to buy the bike as I would sell without the offending ABS. I offered him Ä500 under what what he said he was looking for for the bike at this time, Not unfair IMO, He actually agreed to sell to me at this price, but then later bailed, i then offered him his asking price but he wasn't even happy with that. This is also why I made a considered attempt to get this bike back to the botched condition it was in before returning it to the customer, against my better judgement.

Iím not going into the specifics of all this, I didnít want to post at all because it seems a bit inappropriate but it is very difficult to read and see my lifeís work pulled to pieces, something my 700+ customers would dispute. Iíve been a member of this forum since 2007 but someone can join purely to present one-sided facts and regardless of intent, form somewhat of a misrepresentation of my work and this stinks.
I wonít be coming back on here and commenting again, Iíve had enough sleepless nights over this. One thing Iíd mention, this bike came into me unsafe for road use and was returned to the customer in this state at his request. I have a disclaimer signed to this end and the chancer that I am, I would advise anyone looking to buy this bike to check the work has been done first.

Mark.

Any dealings i had with you mark (abeit a couple of years now), i was very happy with everything, i certainly dont consider you a chancer by any
means...............hopefuly this does not effect your business...
Old 14th August 2018, 10:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,496 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

Originally Posted by Gixxer
It was obvious why he started this thread, and there are always 2 sides to every story. Maybe you should have nipped it in the bud and told your side a bit earlier.
Fully agree with this, you should have given your side much earlier, by keeping quiet it made you look guilty, this is now a totally different story.
Old 15th August 2018, 03:29 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs
Fully agree with this, you should have given your side much earlier, by keeping quiet it made you look guilty, this is now a totally different story.
No, it isn't a totally different story. It's the same story... with a different side telling their side
Old 15th August 2018, 06:43 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
352 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Have dealt with Mark going on 15 years now and he has always been totally honest and professional. For those of us who dont fit the bmw stereotype ( as perpetuated on here constantly) he is the go to man and prices are much cheaper than franchised dealers.
Just my tuppence worth...
Old 15th August 2018, 09:29 AM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 26492
1,510 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: BMW K100LT92 K100RT84
Modifications: Wear and tear

I prefer older bikes...like BMW bricks. Very popular around here.

Unfortunately they like all bikes come with the risk of a bodge having been done by a previous owner and been there too. Some of these bodges won't be apparent until you open up or go at something else.

I have always taken the view that if you get someone to work on an older bike that carries that risk you have to say to 'fix whatever you find along the way as if it was your own bike'. Yes, sometimes it can come at a cost but I prefer that and to know whatever work is done has been done correctly by someone who knows what they are doing.

Of course on the other side if you are known as someone who when repairing a bike insists it goes out fixed properly and not bodged you can get in trouble but I for one would prefer to deal with someone like that.

I don't know any of the parties and was glad no names were mentioned initially. It does sound like the outcome is ok though. I have never dealt with Mark, but would see no reason not to.
Old 15th August 2018, 01:19 PM
Resident Sheep Shagger

Biker.ie Member No. 5869 from Cork, no excuses
20,506 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: Orange Flymo & a few

You'd better not Olaf or the usual suspect down here in Cork would have something to say about it
Old 19th August 2018, 10:09 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37419 from Wicklow
95 posts since Jun 2017

I too have gone to Mark a few times when I had an F650GS about 6 years ago.
He did several bits of work for me and I was very happy with the work and my experience there.
In the unlikely event that I'd ever get another BMW (never say never) I'd have no hesitation in returning to him.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
opinions