Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

View Poll Results: have you ever pulled a wheelie?
Yes 159 66.25%
No 81 33.75%
You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th September 2017, 10:02 PM
WSB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8707 from Kill. Co.Kildare
641 posts since Mar 2008
Motorbike: Constantly changing
Modifications: Always standard
Default Re: wheelies

Kids around here would put you to shame with their wheelying ability on mountain bikes.
Old 4th September 2017, 10:02 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,197 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

..............and on the seventh day, God pulled a massive wheelie ...... (just seen this t-shirt for sale on MCN website).....
Old 4th September 2017, 10:27 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,262 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Hi nelly/sherco 290/300

Get a trials bike if you really want to learn, easiest thing in the world to wheelie, and stepping off the back when searching balance point is so simple, and your y can wheelie at walking pace, mind you, it's a lot more difficult, as you have more sideways balance to correct than just up and down
Old 4th September 2017, 11:35 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 23155
1,197 posts since Jul 2010
Motorbike: Katana

Originally Posted by oretom
Get a trials bike if you really want to learn, easiest thing in the world to wheelie, and stepping off the back when searching balance point is so simple, and your y can wheelie at walking pace, mind you, it's a lot more difficult, as you have more sideways balance to correct than just up and down
So just to recap, its very easy but very difficult
Old 5th September 2017, 12:00 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,317 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: VRod & CB450

Originally Posted by oretom

Best round our way was a fella who rode a Beamish 250 Suzuki for a year while he'd lost the books. Learned to wheelie like a pro. When he got the license back he used to be able to stand his big heavy brute of a VF1000 BolD'Or right up on its tail - and bring it up and down with the throttle and back brake at will. Was beautiful to watch
Old 5th September 2017, 01:07 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
702 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: SXVCRFLH2290
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

Seconded on the trials bikes. Crossers too. Piece of piss to wheelie. I've inadvertently had the front of the gixxer up a couple of times. Scared the Shiite out of myself. Had a young lad ask me could I wheelie the chop. Possibly.... once.... but it'd break in half!
Old 5th September 2017, 08:06 AM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 26433 from Dublin
249 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: CB 1300, Suzuki gn 125

Yamaha dt175 circa 1989 was the last bike/time I did a wheelie. light bike with a decent amount of power (for its time). Would be afraid of dropping it now. Would love to learn though...
Old 5th September 2017, 08:15 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 6534 from cuckooland
5,262 posts since Aug 2007
Motorbike: Hi nelly/sherco 290/300

Originally Posted by VJMC
So just to recap, its very easy but very difficult
The faster you go, easier it gets, but speed brings fear

Small 2 strike engine has tiny crank and creates little inertia at low revs
So more difficult to keep straight
So yes, very easy, but more difficult 😂
Old 5th September 2017, 08:28 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35671
1,118 posts since Jan 2016
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Diavel

Originally Posted by Blanka
bit of a dodgy thread unless yer taking about these
Click the image to open in full size.
Very tasty they are too
Old 5th September 2017, 12:15 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5424
1,082 posts since May 2007
Motorbike: S1000R
Modifications: Clean...ish

Originally Posted by RTV
Don't see the point
Originally Posted by RTV
it definitely looks freakin' awesome
Answered your own question there lad.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:18 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 29365 from Dublin
308 posts since Jul 2012
Motorbike: CeeBee9hunderd
Modifications: Straight, outa the box!

I managed an stand up wheelie on a vespa- as in I was trying to kick start it and had my hand on the throttle and clutch in -I had the throttle rolled well back for the kick (total novice move) and when I pulled it into gear and let out the clutch the high revs stood it up on its rear wheel out from under me...and it heads across the car park with me jogging behind it still had both hands on the bars- luckily I got it into neutral and I was able to push it back down on the front wheel jump on and ride off like it was on purpose... Couple of girls in the car park were well impressed with it anyway ;) Only other wheelies are the ones I see others doing...not for me really. I can do them on a push bike if that counts?
Old 5th September 2017, 02:40 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 4145 from Cork
304 posts since Dec 2006
Motorbike: ZXR400 SP, VFR 800, V50
Modifications: Blue Flame exhaust

Funnily enough I get every crusty knacker with their hands down their trackky pantz raise their presumably pube-ridden paws in a gesture for me to wheelie past them on the moto guzzi. Have no desire to perform a wheelie for fear of damaging / breaking anything but it would be funny to be able to on a 30 year old cafe racer!!!

Last edited by shanec; 5th September 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:46 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 27929 from Dublin
149 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: Kawasaki Z1000

Loads, and loads, and loads more.. Sure it would be cruel not to share my gifts with the world :p

But not since dropping down to a little DL650 Vstrom, its a nice little engine and I'm just not wringing its neck to get it up.. That said I'm looking at going back to a litre bike soon, so who knows.

Once you learn to wheelie they're very addictive, and unless you drop the bike they do little if any damage to the bike, well they tear the bollox out of chains and sprockets but no real mechanical issues.
Old 5th September 2017, 10:35 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 35746 from Chinatown
1,980 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Kwacker ZZR 1100 D9
Modifications: Anti-Gravity field

Found the old Suzuki GS 1000 was easy enough to wheelie but the Fireblade 900s power stepped up so fast...made it a bit prone to flipping it over
Old 5th September 2017, 11:02 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
7,934 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary onl

used to do little bunny hops more than wheelies , never really got good at them, was no sooner up than down again tbh, did a few better ones on a mx bike alright but now im older, wiser, fatter and more easily busticated I think im never going to be that wheelie god now

if it counts - I won a fiver one night outside the local pub cos a mate reckoned I couldn't wheelie a Honda 50..............had a secret weapon tho, twas a ss50, with a clutch and back passenger pegs, nearly killed meself , full of cider too, dunno did that help
Old 6th September 2017, 01:32 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 33860
422 posts since Sep 2014
Motorbike: CBR 600F

I once wheelied a Honda 50 into the back passenger door of my auld fellas car.
Old 7th September 2017, 06:33 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 28039 from meath
149 posts since Jan 2012
Motorbike: yamaha xjr 1300 sp
Modifications: loads

didnt like the way the R1 wheelied off the power in first,it felt like it could flip too easily. 2nd gear clutch ups wearn't a problem. the xjr ripped the center of the back tyre the first time i tried on it. god knows how old the tyre was(had only just bought the bike) but resulted in a new 1 being fitted that week
Old 7th September 2017, 09:11 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220
14,744 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: suzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzukkkkkkk

i had a gsxr1100 and I tried to but I was not able, tbh I was more afraid of causing damage to the bike, Heat on here put me wide that their was a thing called a wheelie wire , it was a wire that somehow cut or restricted the rev, I found it and cut it but naa.
anyone here ever hear of such a device were they common?

asking cause could my b12 have one of these as I dropped a tooth on the front so she should pop up even an inch when throttle up

Last edited by acdc; 7th September 2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:46 PM
Chief Physician

Biker.ie Member No. 1 from Briarcliff Manor
33,308 posts since May 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Royal Enfield 350
Modifications: nitrous oxide

Don't know about that wire craic, but you're better off not whacking it open in 1st gear as you won't know what to do and could panic if/when it comes up too abruptly, slip the clutch in 2nd or slow down (to compress the forks) and then immediately open the throttle on a familiar jump at low speed until you get used to it.

The rebound / bounce of the springs will help it come up, but depending on the bike you'll also need to have the revs up high / over mid-range too, the harder your suspension is (like a sportsbike)- the quicker and easier it comes up as some bikes will absorb a lot of swing / movement in the rear shock.

When slipping the clutch you need to be fairly ruthless (same with burnouts) to get the nose up and not have it bogging down, ie. zero mechanical sympathy, 9000rpm turns into 3000rpm fairly sharpish depending on what gear you're in.

Make sure you've a good chain or it could end in tears and be prepared to burst a few fork seals starting out.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:26 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220
14,744 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: suzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzukkkkkkk

Originally Posted by Admin
Don't know about that wire craic, but you're better off not whacking it open in 1st gear as you won't know what to do and could panic if/when it comes up too abruptly, slip the clutch in 2nd or slow down (to compress the forks) and then immediately open the throttle on a familiar jump at low speed until you get used to it.

The rebound / bounce of the springs will help it come up, but depending on the bike you'll also need to have the revs up high / over mid-range too, the harder your suspension is (like a sportsbike)- the quicker and easier it comes up as some bikes will absorb a lot of swing / movement in the rear shock.

When slipping the clutch you need to be fairly ruthless (same with burnouts) to get the nose up and not have it bogging down, ie. zero mechanical sympathy, 9000rpm turns into 3000rpm fairly sharpish depending on what gear you're in.

Make sure you've a good chain or it could end in tears and be prepared to burst a few fork seals starting out.
decent advice there, but I cant afford to risk damaging even a seal, Id be broke for weeks

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
wheelies

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed