Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 9th May 2018, 11:35 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl

Biker.ie Member No. 4265 from Moving to Taormina again
17,949 posts since Dec 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Xmax Tmax Bigmac!
Modifications: auto - fast as fcuk !
Question Let me touch your shaft

Just looking for opinions here....and a cheeky ask of someone.

got the itch again to switch bike ( ) , sticking with 1200+ shaft and something suitable for the odd two up jaunt, but offering comfort, agility and muscle, and sticking with a yamaha as there is nothing else out there id consider. ( so the 1200 Super Ten will prob be moved on, after me spending months looking for a minty bike! ). Ankle injury from a nasty off is coming back to haunt me, so i need to adjust.

Been looking at the previous older 2012 model fjr or else the newer 2013+ model. I know the 2013 current has a few tweaks over previous but for the price used, theyre comparable-ish so down to preference really...

more than likely it will be a trip across the water yet again, if i decide to pull the pin, as the bikes here..........where do you start

here's the kicker.....a big ask, but anyone with either of these bikes, around Dublin willing to let me have a closer look at their bike ? Will buy you a coffee and the spiciest bag of monster munch you can get.

Id like to try and get a spin on one too, can ask at shops here, but wouldnt if i was buying elsewhere if you get me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:38 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
1,992 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!
Default Re: Older 2012 / newer 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 Meetup Dinner date ?

Go to megabikes, ciaran has both the stock and ae models, personally I'd be going for a 6 speed.. Electronic suspension would be nice too but not essential
Old 9th May 2018, 11:42 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by DavyH
Go to megabikes, ciaran has both the stock and ae models, personally I'd be going for a 6 speed.. Electronic suspension would be nice too but not essential
Know the lads there well, got my first s10 off him.

But I wouldn't ask to take their bikes out if I was buying abroad, even though they prob would. ( i do buy all my gear there ).

Tks
Old 9th May 2018, 11:47 PM
MotoGP Legend

Originally Posted by Duke RR
Know the lads there well, got my first s10 off him.

But I wouldn't ask to take their bikes out if I was buying abroad, even though they prob would. ( i do buy all my gear there ).

Tks
Understandable.... From my point of view they are a fantastic bike, I love working on them and they are very effective as a daily or tourer.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:11 AM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,894 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

Will you be selling the S10 Ray ??
Old 10th May 2018, 10:26 AM
Automatic 4 the ppl

More than likely dude.....but i will be looking to get back what i paid and vrt etc.

the vfr 1200 was an option, but its a little too thirsty and revised second gen are hard to come by and not worth the money they go for used.

waiting game again i think.....
Old 10th May 2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,567 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.
Default Re: Let me touch your shaft

Think your fucking mad to change it personally.
The s10 will do the same as the fjr touring.
But the s10 can go off the beaten track.

Your just going to waste money and you have a ver capable machine already thats rasier to sell and wont loose as much value.
Old 10th May 2018, 07:13 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 25424 from Kildare
54 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: Yamaha FJR1300

More than likely dude.....but i will be looking to get back what i paid and vrt etc.

the vfr 1200 was an option, but its a little too thirsty and revised second gen are hard to come by and not worth the money they go for used.

Hi Duke RR,

I recently purchased a 2015 FJR in the UK and am delighted with it.

Will be in Cotters on Saturday morning if you want to meet up.

Gaz B
Old 10th May 2018, 07:16 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 25424 from Kildare
54 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: Yamaha FJR1300

Originally Posted by GazB
Hi Duke RR,

Gaz B
https://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=243183
Old 10th May 2018, 08:05 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1969
1,921 posts since Jul 2005
Motorbike: CBR1000F

2016 on got the 6 speed I think. Helical cut gears so loses the fjr turbo whine. Knocks a few revs off at motorway speeds but wouldn't be the deal breaker. I've a 2006 and it's a great bike, comfortable and quick enough. The only thing that lets it down is the snatchy throttle that can have you looking like an amateur at low speeds. Think Yamaha sorted it from 2009. Would have to be the 2013 gen3 for me. Gets cruise control, strangely limited to 82mph, and it looks far better with new lcd dash etc. Also gets ride by wire with smooth throttle response. Will be upgrading my 06 to a 13+ next year. Great bikes with great balance of power, handling, sport, touring imho.

Last edited by cbroar; 10th May 2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:03 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 20355 from Midlands
622 posts since Feb 2010
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Triumph Explorer,Rocket 3
Modifications: Loads, Loads, Loads.

[QUOTE=Duke RR;3535813]

Ankle injury from a nasty off is coming back to haunt me, so i need to adjust.

Would think that the FJR would feel a bit more cramped than the S10 and not help your ankle injury.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:23 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,894 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

Did you ever do the shockers and the exhaust ??
Old 10th May 2018, 09:34 PM
<< SAVAGE LID

Biker.ie Member No. 4646 from Back of the Wolfpack..Try
26,351 posts since Feb 2007
Motorbike: 2 Suzi's
Modifications: Sticker and Iba 35959

Originally Posted by johnny b
The s10 will do the same as the fjr touring.
But the s10 can go off the beaten track.

Your just going to waste money and you have a ver capable machine already thats rasier to sell and wont loose as much value.
Everybodys telling him the same for fucks sake
Old 10th May 2018, 09:48 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 1913 from Limerick
2,039 posts since Jun 2005
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Honda Africa Twin
Modifications: Bits & Pieces

Sounds like you are reversing from what you need. You won't get anything any comfier than an adventure bike set up. End of in my opinion.??
Old 10th May 2018, 09:54 PM
MotoGP Legend

I'm a big fan of the s10 but they are very top heavy and you notice it a lot at slow moving pace. As much torque as they throw out,they definitely don't have the ease of speed the Fjr has.
Old 11th May 2018, 04:01 PM
Automatic 4 the ppl

Originally Posted by johnny b
The s10 will do the same as the fjr touring. But the s10 can go off the beaten track. Your just going to waste money and you have a ver capable machine already thats rasier to sell and wont loose as much value.
i know dude, kinda, but im fighting the fjr itch the last while.

Originally Posted by GazB
Hi Duke RR,

Gaz B
yeah, i seen your thread, if i am around, i will drop in for usre. appreciate it.

Originally Posted by cbroar
2016 on got the 6 speed I think. Helical cut gears so loses the fjr turbo whine. Knocks a few revs off at motorway speeds but wouldn't be the deal breaker. I've a 2006 and it's a great bike, comfortable and quick enough. The only thing that lets it down is the snatchy throttle that can have you looking like an amateur at low speeds. Think Yamaha sorted it from 2009. Would have to be the 2013 gen3 for me. Gets cruise control, strangely limited to 82mph, and it looks far better with new lcd dash etc. Also gets ride by wire with smooth throttle response. Will be upgrading my 06 to a 13+ next year. Great bikes with great balance of power, handling, sport, touring imho.
Originally Posted by Jonjo
Would think that the FJR would feel a bit more cramped than the S10 and not help your ankle injury.
its funny, its to do with weight and not, its a complicated injury, so a tall bike is not necessairyl the issue, the fjr is as heavy, but lower, but could still be an issue, so i need to sound out....

Originally Posted by cracker boy
Did you ever do the shockers and the exhaust ??
just ECU flash, so far. If i hold onto it, i will put money into it.

Originally Posted by iano
Everybodys telling him the same for fucks sake
lmao, im gonna buy you an xmax, just for the crack, you will cave...................

Originally Posted by R.M
Sounds like you are reversing from what you need. You won't get anything any comfier than an adventure bike set up. End of in my opinion.??
it is true, plenty of wack, and good visibility etc with comfort, but fjr is still appealing, i dunno, i could end up hating it..

Originally Posted by DavyH
I'm a big fan of the s10 but they are very top heavy and you notice it a lot at slow moving pace. As much torque as they throw out,they definitely don't have the ease of speed the Fjr has.
it super balanced in traffic, even at start stop, using back brake balancing....i must be getting old

Old 11th May 2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 5067 from Kildare-ish.
4,567 posts since Apr 2007
Motorbike: RR4 Blade
Modifications: Arrow can, pc3.

Why dont ya buy an Early fjr for about 3grand...and keep the s10.
You would probly spend that changing over anyway especially if you have to travel or transport and vrt it.

A really decent early model with panniers and low mileage is the way to go.

Still think you would be mad to sell the other yoke... you just got it.
Old 11th May 2018, 05:34 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 2320
143 posts since Oct 2005

i know dude, kinda, but im fighting the fjr itch the last while.

yeah, i seen your thread, if i am around, i will drop in for usre. appreciate it.

its funny, its to do with weight and not, its a complicated injury, so a tall bike is not necessairyl the issue, the fjr is as heavy, but lower, but could still be an issue, so i need to sound out....

just ECU flash, so far. If i hold onto it, i will put money into it.

lmao, im gonna buy you an xmax, just for the crack, you will cave...................

it is true, plenty of wack, and good visibility etc with comfort, but fjr is still appealing, i dunno, i could end up hating it..

it super balanced in traffic, even at start stop, using back brake balancing....i must be getting old

I didn't find the S10 top heavy. Easy to move around and well balanced in traffic. I know it is not a great test but getting it off the side stand compared to a GS is much easier.

I had an FJR for a while 100k miles and 8 years. They are what they are, heavy but super well balanced, if it gets away from you, then you can't hold it up.

They are pretty economical I averaged 45mpg 50/50 city and country commute.

The FJR is pretty narrow too, I think it is 29inches(74cms) an S10 is 37inches(94cms). But you are still well protected with only the outside of the arm getting wet in the heaviest rain, so long as you are moving.

Integrated luggage on the FJR is really good, fits a helmet each side and doesn't make it any wider.

Suspension is the weak point, maybe the newer ones are better, but they need the original suspension replace pretty early. And the suspension knuckle needs to be kept lubed.

They are dead easy to do the oil changes, valves not so much. They aren't hard on tyres, the clutch is light, the brakes are very good.

For me both are faster than most people can ride them, never mind legally. Both handle well.

I am talking myself into another FJR here. If I didn't commute I would have an S10 probably, just for the comfort on the roads I prefer to ride but with the ability to hit the motorway and tramp back home, running an FJR on my 50km each way, totally straight commute was a total waste, but I did take it as far as Austria and Spain.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:47 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 20355 from Midlands
622 posts since Feb 2010
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Triumph Explorer,Rocket 3
Modifications: Loads, Loads, Loads.

Originally Posted by Ginge65
I didn't find the S10 top heavy. Easy to move around and well balanced in traffic. I know it is not a great test but getting it off the side stand compared to a GS is much easier.

I had an FJR for a while 100k miles and 8 years. They are what they are, heavy but super well balanced, if it gets away from you, then you can't hold it up.

They are pretty economical I averaged 45mpg 50/50 city and country commute.

The FJR is pretty narrow too, I think it is 29inches(74cms) an S10 is 37inches(94cms). But you are still well protected with only the outside of the arm getting wet in the heaviest rain, so long as you are moving.

Integrated luggage on the FJR is really good, fits a helmet each side and doesn't make it any wider.

Suspension is the weak point, maybe the newer ones are better, but they need the original suspension replace pretty early. And the suspension knuckle needs to be kept lubed.

They are dead easy to do the oil changes, valves not so much. They aren't hard on tyres, the clutch is light, the brakes are very good.

For me both are faster than most people can ride them, never mind legally. Both handle well.

I am talking myself into another FJR here. If I didn't commute I would have an S10 probably, just for the comfort on the roads I prefer to ride but with the ability to hit the motorway and tramp back home, running an FJR on my 50km each way, totally straight commute was a total waste, but I did take it as far as Austria and Spain.

Right about the rear shock, friend of mine had to change his at 25,000 miles and put a news YSS into it. Reckons it a different bike altogether
Old 12th May 2018, 10:29 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 6925 from Louth
1,590 posts since Oct 2007
Motorbike: 1290 SuperDuke GT,ZX12R

GTR1400 way to go.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
2012, 2013, date, dinner, fjr1300, meetup, newer, older, yamaha