Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 14th May 2018, 09:52 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 15595 from Galway
145 posts since Apr 2009
Motorbike: KTM 950 SM
Default Thinking about getting hayabusa

Hi folks,

As my KTM 950SM is up for sale,lately i have itch for a hayabusa. The plan was to get R1,as my riding style is aggressive and i like to enjoy the corners.

Id be using it mostly as a commuter to work (30km open road) all year round except storms etc.

The question is-how does it handle in corners and low speeds while filtering through traffic in town? Is it fun to ride? What would be major differences between busa and sport bikes?

Whats the story with insuring her?

any opinions would be much appreciated
Old 14th May 2018, 09:56 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220
15,388 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: K6 1000
Default Re: Thinking about getting hayabusa

Originally Posted by Dark Warrior
Hi folks,

As my KTM 950SM is up for sale,lately i have itch for a hayabusa. The plan was to get R1,as my riding style is aggressive and i like to enjoy the corners.

Id be using it mostly as a commuter to work (30km open road) all year round except storms etc.

The question is-how does it handle in corners and low speeds while filtering through traffic in town? Is it fun to ride? What would be major differences between busa and sport bikes?

Whats the story with insuring her?

any opinions would be much appreciated

I never drove one but did think of getting one recently, didnt think too long on it, I only know 2 lads that had them and they both rote off at least 2 of them each that is lol,
she is classed as 17/17 insurance wise and same as the gixxer 1000 and cbr 1000 etc when I checked so best of luck and the best answer would be to take one for a well decent spin and judge for yourself, what one lad say on here might be different that how you would feel but best of luck with it, if ~I had the coin Id defo have a gen 1 lying about the gaff
Old 14th May 2018, 10:23 PM
Clubman
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

145 posts since Apr 2009

Originally Posted by acdc
I never drove one but did think of getting one recently, didnt think too long on it, I only know 2 lads that had them and they both rote off at least 2 of them each that is lol,
she is classed as 17/17 insurance wise and same as the gixxer 1000 and cbr 1000 etc when I checked so best of luck and the best answer would be to take one for a well decent spin and judge for yourself, what one lad say on here might be different that how you would feel but best of luck with it, if ~I had the coin Id defo have a gen 1 lying about the gaff
Cheers pal I had a few sport bikes before like zx9r,R1,Gsxr 600,gsxr 1000 and many other bikes so im thinking about something different than supermoto and typical sport.
Old 14th May 2018, 10:29 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,243 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy

I've always said that everyone should own a 'busa at least once in their life. The grin factor is second to none.
I used to go through rear tyres about every 500 miles, and chains didn't last much longer*, but that's an unfortunate side effect of combining that much power with a pilot who removes his brain prior to riding.

They're actually really good at low speeds, but if it's low speeds you're after, buy a Harley.

The one thing I wasn't too impressed with was the cornering. The 'busa is roughly the same weight as the blackbird, but the 'bird seems like a 600 on the twisties compared to the 'busa. The 'busa always felt like it wanted to understeer, but dropping to a 180 rear tyre helped a lot.

Oh, and about 10mpg if you're using it as was intended*

*YMMV
Old 14th May 2018, 11:04 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 32047 from Bray
516 posts since Aug 2013
Motorbike: BusaK8 Versys650 Blade 08
Modifications: sack and crack wax.

I've got a 2nd gen Busa and a Blade and ride them both regularly. Where the Blade is a scapel on road and track, the Busa is primarily a road bike. The suspension is plush compared to a full on sports bike and with the comfy stock seat and addition of Helibar risers it makes for a fairly comfortable long distance mount. The engine is smooth and refined but warp speed is always just a turn of the wrist away. Big torque numbers help pull the 260 or so kilos along with gusto.
Exceptionally stable under hard acceleration, it does give up a little in maneuverability and although it handles well and holds a line it can get a tad wallowy when on its side if the road isn't entirely up to scratch. Don't expect the immediate flickability of a Blade or such, but compared to something like a big Adventure it'll feel quicker to turn (will tighten a line far more readily than a GS of comparable weight)
Brakes are adequate on the gen 2 but I've heard bad reports about the first model. Commuted on her plenty of times and fuel works out about 42 mpg on the motorway and drops to 10 or less if you open the taps (which you will)
Other than the usual consumables, wheel and head bearings are all thats gone wrong with mine.

If you ride your 950 hard you won't be backing the Busa in quite so easily, but go with sportier profile tyres to help her turn in and get rid of the standard cans to drop over 25 kg and you'll have a great bike to ride.

Last edited by RobbieBeGood; 14th May 2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 14th May 2018, 11:39 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 18656
1,083 posts since Sep 2009
Motorbike: ltd1000 zx12
Modifications: just me

Had a 1gen for five yrs and loved it thought it did a bit of everything well after changing the six pots to fours..real useable bike but if your over 6ft have a go on one first.the grin factor is just brill like a silent assisane
Old 15th May 2018, 01:37 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by RobbieBeGood
I've got a 2nd gen Busa and a Blade and ride them both regularly. Where the Blade is a scapel on road and track, the Busa is primarily a road bike. The suspension is plush compared to a full on sports bike and with the comfy stock seat and addition of Helibar risers it makes for a fairly comfortable long distance mount. The engine is smooth and refined but warp speed is always just a turn of the wrist away. Big torque numbers help pull the 260 or so kilos along with gusto.
Exceptionally stable under hard acceleration, it does give up a little in maneuverability and although it handles well and holds a line it can get a tad wallowy when on its side if the road isn't entirely up to scratch. Don't expect the immediate flickability of a Blade or such, but compared to something like a big Adventure it'll feel quicker to turn (will tighten a line far more readily than a GS of comparable weight)
Brakes are adequate on the gen 2 but I've heard bad reports about the first model. Commuted on her plenty of times and fuel works out about 42 mpg on the motorway and drops to 10 or less if you open the taps (which you will)
Other than the usual consumables, wheel and head bearings are all thats gone wrong with mine.

If you ride your 950 hard you won't be backing the Busa in quite so easily, but go with sportier profile tyres to help her turn in and get rid of the standard cans to drop over 25 kg and you'll have a great bike to ride.
Nice write up. Pretty much sums them up

The bit I bolded is the important bit. The first gen had brakes that were so shit, you could never ride the bike to its potential. Actually, correct that. You could easily ride the bike to its potential, but with those 6 pot Tok's, its potential was shite. Stick a later (with Brembo brakes) front end on it, and you'd be doing well to ride it anywhere near its potential, because you'd suddenly have a bike with insane speed and insane stopping power. You can stand any bike with Brembo brakes on its nose from any speed, with just a couple of fingers on the lever. Those 6 pot Tokicos have you pulling the brake lever into the throttle rubber before they'll stop you.
But once you sort the brakes and suspension, they're the most insane thing you'll ever ride.
Old 15th May 2018, 08:32 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 3989
2,140 posts since Nov 2006
Motorbike: Sprint GT
Modifications: Tax

Had two Gen 1's and just couldn't get on with them. Yes the speed is amazing and put's a grin factor on every time you ride it but just couldn't abide with the rubbish brakes and shit cornering. Being 6ft2" didn't help with the comfort either.
Old 15th May 2018, 08:56 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 25471 from swords
1,656 posts since Mar 2011
Motorbike: HRC fireblade
Modifications: full arrow system

Originally Posted by Gixxer
I've always said that everyone should own a 'busa at least once in their life. The grin factor is second to none.
I used to go through rear tyres about every 500 miles, and chains didn't last much longer*, but that's an unfortunate side effect of combining that much power with a pilot who removes his brain prior to riding.

They're actually really good at low speeds, but if it's low speeds you're after, buy a Harley.

The one thing I wasn't too impressed with was the cornering. The 'busa is roughly the same weight as the blackbird, but the 'bird seems like a 600 on the twisties compared to the 'busa. The 'busa always felt like it wanted to understeer, but dropping to a 180 rear tyre helped a lot.

Oh, and about 10mpg if you're using it as was intended*

*YMMV
New tyres every 500 miles,what were they made out of?cheese?
Old 15th May 2018, 08:58 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,282 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

The busa was never designed for cornering or nimble sport riding, so if that's what you're after I would say that's not the bike you really want.

Surely you'll have tons of fun on a busa, but different kind of fun.

R1 beats the Busa in both sound and looks by light years in my book and would have more than enough performance to keep you entertained on Irish Roads... A 600 would do you just fine in reality, but you can't never have too much power :P
Old 15th May 2018, 09:34 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 22402 from West Meath
266 posts since Jun 2010
Motorbike: Fireblade

I'm just going to leave this link here

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread...95#post3536695

I've had mine for coming up on a year now, I originally got it to use for commuting, hence going to the effort of finding luggage for it, but changed jobs and its hardly getting used these days. I find it pretty practical to be honest, ya its ballistic fast but with so much torque I find it easy to just plod around on. Mine is on the rougher end of the spectrum but it is cheap. The posts above give you a better idea whats its like than I can, I'm fairly restrained riding on the road to be honest.

Insurance wise I'd no bother, I've my licence 4 years, 4 years ncb and the hayabusa and a 93 fireblade is costing me less than 400 which is ok to be honest.
Old 15th May 2018, 01:42 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 11829 from Dublin
571 posts since Aug 2008
Motorbike: Busa

Had a Gen 2 for a few years, commuted, toured, scratched, did it all.

- Standard brakes are ok (keep them well cleaned if you commute), brembos are what it really wants
- Handles well for a big bike, will feel nothing as sharp or light as your 950 or a litre bike, but you get used to the weight and can chuck it around at speed no bother, especially if you set the suspension up properly (fully adjustable)
- Surprisingly easy to maneuver at low speed, filtering etc no problem
- I'm 6'3 so put helibars and lower buell pegs on and it was very comfortable, 600 mile days no problem
- Put something like a Pilot Road 4 or Road 5 on it and you'll get decent performance and decent mileage out of them even heavy handed
- Cans are a must, huge weight saving and the busas are dead quiet stock
- Lots of fun to ride, huge torque but won't be as punchy as your SM, different riding experience, speeds get higher much quicker, the 950s are more of a hooligan in that sense
- Not sure about insurance, mine wasn't bad at the time around 26, 8 years NCB
- Insanely stable at licence-losing speeds, thing was built for 300kmh no problem

I actually had a 990 SuperDuke after the busa, mental fun in it's own way but you can't really compare the two. As a commuter I actually preferred the busa. Smoother, weather protection, loads of room to add accessories, heated grips. power sockets, gps etc, and then twist the go-go stick and spend the rest of your work day trying to wipe the stupid grin off your face.
Old 15th May 2018, 08:25 PM
Clubman
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

145 posts since Apr 2009

Thanks a lot lads,those are great insights. Thats it,you convinced me

Id be intrested in gen 2 model. Is there anything particular to pay attention when buying?
Old 15th May 2018, 09:02 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by Dark Warrior
Thanks a lot lads,those are great insights. Thats it,you convinced me

Id be intrested in gen 2 model. Is there anything particular to pay attention when buying?
Take it out and rag the shite out of it in every gear and make sure it doesn't jump out of gear. It's an expensive fix if it does.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
hayabusa, thinking