Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 11th January 2017, 09:57 PM
MotoGP Star

Biker.ie Member No. 15104 from Meath
997 posts since Mar 2009
Motorbike: fz1, 34-26-35
Modifications: none
Default Re: Insurance

watch out for the clause that says you have to have the bike locked into the shed when at home and don't cover theft for a bike nicked within 0.5km of your house.....say for example if you stopped off at a shop near to your house for a pint of milk.... cant recall which one had that clause
Old 11th January 2017, 10:13 PM
Supporter
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 21821 from Dublin
2,656 posts since May 2010
Motorbike: r1200 GS
Modifications: A hand that waves!

Originally Posted by faz1
watch out for the clause that says you have to have the bike locked into the shed when at home and don't cover theft for a bike nicked within 0.5km of your house.....say for example if you stopped off at a shop near to your house for a pint of milk.... cant recall which one had that clause
Christ on a bike. I'll have to read three policies tomorrow. My head already hurts.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:20 PM
aah shite

Biker.ie Member No. 25361 from arkham asylum
5,771 posts since Feb 2011
Motorbike: Gluaisrothar

Something to consider also is how each company deals with accidents and claim's. I know that adelaide were more than useless after a mate was in a tip where a large cage actually reversed over him . They didn't want to know and he was left to himself to sort out the mess himself
Old 11th January 2017, 10:46 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Jaded
Something to consider also is how each company deals with accidents and claim's. I know that adelaide were more than useless after a mate was in a tip where a large cage actually reversed over him . They didn't want to know and he was left to himself to sort out the mess himself
Jazus. They are called Cornmarket now.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:11 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 34191
1,683 posts since Dec 2014
Motorbike: Cb,Vtr,Xrv,Nt
Modifications: A few bits and pieces!

Originally Posted by Frankkilty
Sorry Corcullen but fairness does not come into it. If fairness was king I'd be charged a lot less. I've 13 years no claims! It comes down to cover and CN seem to be offering the best breakdown cover but I'm distracted with home life here tonight so I can't really focus on it. I'll have to dig into it tomorrow. I'm also concerned about the point raised about some of them not recovering older bikes but I'd like to think they would have mentioned that when I was on the phone to them.
A mate had to 'repatriate' his varadero from France when the tensioner let go,they deemed it a write off and wouldn't bring it back,he had to hire a van to get it to the ferry then hire a van over here to get it home,took over a year to get a settlement from them through a solicitor and he was still down a heap of cash. I've heard stories from others but I'm not sure how much truth is in some,I know this was fact though!!!
Old 12th January 2017, 04:39 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Olaf Maxwell
Watch the breakdown cover if you have an older bike.

CN breakdown cover is limited to 4 call outs in a year BUT it is EU wide AND will cover any age bike that they have insured. Most breakdown cover from the other insurers will not cover bikes more than 10 or 15 years old. I almost changed to AXA last time but their breakdown cover was age restricted to newer bikes and may have been under 10 years old. Separate breakdown cover will cost you so look out for that one.

I did get cheap quotes on the previous renewal but the small print is worth reading. Adelaide offered a very low premium but no legal cover, no breakdown cover, some other items missing and when I asked for these to be added in it was same as CN renewal but then I discovered it was with breakdown cover that was no good because of the age of the bike.
Been looking into this. What you are saying is mostly true but not quite accurate. Now I could be wrong but from what I see reading the fine print, with Cn certainly they say

"We will only repatriate your vehicle to the Republic of
Ireland if we believe the cost of doing so would be less
than the market value of the vehicle in the UK following
the loss or damage"

basically saying that if it's an old bike it's not worth our while financially bringing it back if it can't be fixed. Bear in mind that they based those on uk current market value. Not irish. I think they still send out roadside assistance and bring you to a local garage. Hence why another posters mates bike was written off despite the bike not technically being properly written off. I could be wrong here. Principle have very similar wording. Still looking for the adlaide /cornmarket one.

Last edited by Frankkilty; 12th January 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12th January 2017, 04:59 PM
Clubman

Biker.ie Member No. 26187 from Clonsilla
116 posts since May 2011
Motorbike: Vespa T5- BMW R1150rt
Modifications: Chrome and Carbon

Ive been having good luck with cornmarket the past few years. still have to play the same games with them every year but they still end up the best value after they've reconsidered their initial offering. they threw in helmet cover this year as well which can be handy. ive stopped taking the breakdown cover as its so awkward with the details between the different years of bikes and whats covered and not. have the AA to cover all the bikes and cages and they'l always have a bike trailer not just flung on a flatbed.
Old 12th January 2017, 05:41 PM
Supporter

Ok, it's come down to this.

Who looks after the actual breakdown recovery for each of them?

Principle seem to use AXA and I can't be sure if they are the best.
CN used to use the AA but i think they have changed.
Adelaide i need to check too...

I'd prefer AA
Old 12th January 2017, 06:33 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 36833
8 posts since Dec 2016
Motorbike: Honda nt650

I'd agree with Corrcullen- Last year got a quote from CN- crazy money- got another from AXA much better- all of a sudden CN can meet it!
If CN got all the business like that- Axa and others would pull out of market leaving the dominant to charge what they like- make sure the policy is right for you then go with the one that you trust the most (which I appreciate is a pretty low bar!)- in my case Axa
Old 12th January 2017, 06:50 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by DavidM123
I'd agree with Corrcullen- Last year got a quote from CN- crazy money- got another from AXA much better- all of a sudden CN can meet it!
If CN got all the business like that- Axa and others would pull out of market leaving the dominant to charge what they like- make sure the policy is right for you then go with the one that you trust the most (which I appreciate is a pretty low bar!)- in my case Axa
That is quite the first post.

I distrust them all equally. Looking into things further here, that is what i will do if I can't find anything else between them...
Old 12th January 2017, 07:16 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,740 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

Originally Posted by Frankkilty
Ok, it's come down to this.

Who looks after the actual breakdown recovery for each of them?

Principle seem to use AXA and I can't be sure if they are the best.
CN used to use the AA but i think they have changed.
Adelaide i need to check too...

I'd prefer AA

It's subcontracted out to local agents anyway. More important than who is picking up the bike is how much of it you are covered for.........distance etc.
Old 12th January 2017, 07:37 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by cracker boy
It's subcontracted out to local agents anyway. More important than who is picking up the bike is how much of it you are covered for.........distance etc.
I must check that. Be nice to just say feck it and do an extra 10,000 km on a whim for the craic but that would put me over the 8000 miles I've suggested I do.
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:09 PM
Supporter

Ended up going with the gang that offered the best quote first.
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:17 PM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 35672
317 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Gsxr 600 K7

Renewal this week with Cornmarket. Premium was 600 last year, they said 690 renewal. I had already rung around, CN were up in the 900's and principal said 510.

So when cornmarket rang for the renewal I said to the guy dont bother going through the details because principal are 200 quid cheaper so Im going to go with them. Straight away he just said we will match it.

Worth playing them off each other, the market for bikes is completely different. None of the books are loss making I would imagine so the companies all have scope to lower the price, significantly in some cases.

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
insurance

Support Biker.ie

Forum RSS news feed Main Biker.ie RSS news feed