Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Jack Kennedy takes BSB title    
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Old 24th March 2018, 04:19 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Biker.ie Member No. 35355
5,866 posts since Sep 2015
Motorbike: 996/R1/S1000rr
Modifications: loads
Default Re: Noob doin first track day on 1st April

Darren will tell you not to worry about tyre pressures as a 1st time newbie to Mondello on a road bike.

Follow and listen to him and the other marshals.
Enjoy your day out.
Old 24th March 2018, 09:42 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
932 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

Originally Posted by the dessert fox
This - stripped the fekn lacquer off me nose cone with fekn duct tape
Yeah, just don't leave it on for 6 fecking years like I did!
Old 25th March 2018, 12:21 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,469 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

You'll absolutely fecking love it.

And yes, it's OK... you WILL be slow, just focus on what they tell you to improve.

Don't look at the gravel
Old 25th March 2018, 07:32 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 27890
2,540 posts since Dec 2011
Motorbike: Blue Bomber & tbc..

Originally Posted by GreenRex
Advice I got years ago from a TD instructor on my first track day on the ZEEARX

Some friendly advice: EVERYONE is full of some trepidation their first time out - just don't let it get the best of you. Treas it like a road that will become your favorite by the end of the day.
1) Try not to focus on the riders in front of you as soon as you can - remind yourself by putting a piece of tape on your tach with a message "focus: track"
2) Take some deep breaths before each session, and try to get a nice breath on the long back straight.
3) Deep braking will be the LAST thing that you will add to your repetoire - trust the tires and the pace set by the instructors.
4) Shift as little as possible - let the ZRX help you relax by keeping the revs low.
5) Be aware that you WILL lean the bike over further than you ever have - you may get a little movement/squishy/squiggly feeling the each time you uncover new rubber - have FAITH.
6) Patience! Trust the instructors, focus on getting comfortable and confident, and the speed will come. Throw out much of the theoretical crap that will be running around your head before you get there and focus on one thing at a time.
7) ZRX specific advice: be smooth with every input - all of that leverage (handlebars) can be a problem if you are jerking the bike around. Focus on a line that allows you to turn the bike once for each corner and roll on the throttle smoothly - if you get the wrong line at Mid-O you will find yourself double apexing stuff, shutting the throttle off mid corner, and being in the wrong spot on the track to enter the next corner - on a ZRX this can make for too much work!

I have seen plenty of newbies go from novice to competent track rider in one day -

Have fun!

Brett Blacketer
"

One more "Cover your Speedo"
Sounds sound :)

What does the bit in bold mean - it'll feel different because of the new experience of leaning further, or you're scrubbing in new rubber that has never been 'worn-in' properly ?
Old 26th March 2018, 12:40 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 37188 from Dublin
49 posts since Apr 2017
Motorbike: R1200GS
Modifications: Akrapovic, r/h clutch

Originally Posted by scorpy
Massive point not mentioned here.

As you are riding home after, your perception of speed will be seriously altered by the higher pace on the track. Everything on the road will feel like slow motion for a while. Be very conscious of your speed leaving the track and allow yourself time to readjust. It's crazy how slow the real world feels for a while after.
+1 for this! Well said.

Here lies the advantage of doing trackdays for road safety, when riding at road pace, you will have a much better grasp of how much you have left in reserve... #barelyleanedover
Old 26th March 2018, 01:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 16587 from KK
1,501 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: Race while you can.

You don't actually need to tape up light any more. Most of them aren't glass these days. Taping the mirrors and the speedo are important. It stops you looking down and behind you when your focus should be on what's in from of you. You can travel a long way in the time it take to glane down, and if in that moment the guy or gal in front of you brakes, you can be in a lot of bother.
Old 26th March 2018, 05:09 PM
plumber for hire

Biker.ie Member No. 16432 from cork
10,297 posts since Jun 2009
Motorbike: 2017 s1000rr
Modifications: brakes, pipes

Originally Posted by RobbieBeGood
Spare undies for when you blindly go over the crest too hot at Dunlop corner :)
I done this. Went in majorly too hot in a gsxr600 and at the same time a marshal on a brand new 1290 decided to come round the front of me.

I was braking hard as I could just thinking don't cream a new ktm
Old 28th March 2018, 08:47 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 37605
85 posts since Aug 2017
Motorbike: 2002 Bandit 600

Guys, another noob here. The posts are relaly helpful.

just wondering how much experience do you think is needed before an into to track day is a good idea? I've about 1,000 miles (plus the lgbt, which was on school bikes) I know you can do the track training day on a provisional, but I'm wondering if I should have more road miles under the belt first?

Also, anyone done the California Superbike School?

thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 09:35 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 8193 from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare
363 posts since Feb 2008
Motorbike: SV1000S and R1200GS
Modifications: Lots n lots

Once controlling and handling your bike i.e. applying the brakes/throttle, shifting gears comes as second nature you should be okay for a track training day. What I mean by second nature is you've gotten to the point where you don't need to think 'which hand for throttle?' or click up for next gear?' - it just happens without you needing to step through the process. I'd imagine with 1000 miles under your belt, you should be well placed to do a TTD.

Track training day will allow you to explore the capabilities of the bike a bit more, and also gain some confidence in what both it (and you) can safely do.

Track riding doesn't have to be about extremes, it's way better to learn to be smooth and progressive, gradually riding quicker whilst always staying within your limits in terms of skill and talent. You can concentrate on enjoying the bike so much more when there's no potholes, junctions, oncoming traffic, pedestrians etc.

Take it slow and easy and you'll really enjoy yourself...
Old 28th March 2018, 12:14 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by bandit_eile
Guys, another noob here. The posts are relaly helpful.

just wondering how much experience do you think is needed before an into to track day is a good idea? I've about 1,000 miles (plus the lgbt, which was on school bikes) I know you can do the track training day on a provisional, but I'm wondering if I should have more road miles under the belt first?

Also, anyone done the California Superbike School?

thanks
You don't need a ton of experience, as long as you have good control of your bike, they'll teach you what you need to know.

Training day will take you through theory first, then practice around cones in the parking lot where they teach you the basic manouver required to go around the track and finally you go to the track in the afternoon.

Arguably, the less you know, the better as they'll be less things to correct. But of course, you have to be able to properly control your bike, if you're thinking about it when shifting, breaking, etc... you might want to wait a little bit longer.

You can pace yourself as well, don't think that because you go to a track you have to be fast, they'll encourage you to ride within your limits. It's all about technique, body position (which is key and will improve your riding vastly), how to look through the corner, lines to take, breaking, etc....

It's money well spent, 100% go for it.
Old 28th March 2018, 09:28 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 2186 from Dublin/Kildare
3,513 posts since Sep 2005
Motorbike: Lots of stuff
Modifications: Biker.ie gold stickers

Go down to garage 1, that's where the marshals hang out - they've all got matching leathers these days. There's marshals assigned to each level - ask who's looking after novices and can some one take you out and show you a few lines.

They're more than happy to take you out and get you settled
Old 28th March 2018, 10:22 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Grand day today.
I watched yous all while building my bike in garage 1.

Poxy hailstones though.......lol
Old 29th March 2018, 11:38 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Japcati
Grand day today.

Yer front wheel was off centre by all accounts.
Old 29th March 2018, 12:27 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 23635 from Galway
2,666 posts since Aug 2010
Motorbike: MT-09 Tracer, SV650

Originally Posted by Japcati
Grand day today.

Was there yesterday and saw you tinkering in the corner - would have said hello if I knew it was yourself...
Old 29th March 2018, 01:23 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35716 from Dublin
8 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Honda CBR600 F4i

Hey Lads, similar situation here going for my first track day on Sunday. I was wondering about fuel, is 1 full tank enough for a full day or will there be option to leave the track during lunch break etc. to fill up the bike?? Also what's the most essential things to bring when it comes to tools etc? Many thanks in advance!
Old 29th March 2018, 04:37 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Holzendorff
Hey Lads, similar situation here going for my first track day on Sunday. I was wondering about fuel, is 1 full tank enough for a full day or will there be option to leave the track during lunch break etc. to fill up the bike?? Also what's the most essential things to bring when it comes to tools etc? Many thanks in advance!
There's a petrol station in Carragh a mile or so down the road where you can fill up at lunch time. Tools etc, depends on what you need to do. Change wheels, you need to bring whatever you want to do that. If you are stuck for anything call up to garage 1 and if we don't have what you need, someone else will. Probably.
Old 29th March 2018, 04:39 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 35716 from Dublin
8 posts since Jan 2016
Motorbike: Honda CBR600 F4i

Originally Posted by bow leg
There's a petrol station in Carragh a mile or so down the road where you can fill up at lunch time. Tools etc, depends on what you need to do. Change wheels, you need to bring whatever you want to do that. If you are stuck for anything call up to garage 1 and if we don't have what you need, someone else will. Probably.
Perfect, thanks for confirming. Will be driving to the track on the bike so probably wonít need much but will bring a few most essential tools with me.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:32 PM
Biker.ie old-skool

Originally Posted by Bruce
Was there yesterday and saw you tinkering in the corner - would have said hello if I knew it was yourself...
Running around like a fucking headless chicken so i was......
Old 30th March 2018, 08:00 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Holzendorff
Full tank did me just fine with some to spare on the R6 which doesn't have the biggest tank to begin with, so you should be grand.

Cheers,
Rami
Old 1st April 2018, 10:30 PM
Clem Fandango
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Biker.ie Member No. 11768 from Schlongford
864 posts since Aug 2008
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Blackbird, Husky SM, TZR

Savage days craic had today. Really enjoyed it. Managed to stay out of the gravel and upright all afternoon although I was surely one of the slowest out there. Appreciate all the advice from all on here.
Was a bit apprehensive just before headin out but the marshal dude on the S1000xr brought me around and gave some good advice which helped me loads.
The final session with all groups out together was an eye opener. There was some serious pilots out there. Iíve a lot to learn!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LpufJ8vkKZCz7Aei2

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > Racing and Trackdays

Tags
1st, april, day, doin, noob, track