Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Old 21st November 2018, 12:23 PM
Wobbling Fledgling

Biker.ie Member No. 38576
1 posts since Oct 2018
Default Getting a dirt bike as first bike

Hello yall.

So I've just passed my lgbt and I'm looking to get a first bike.

I mainly need it to commute through dublin city. Ideally I'd like something like a 600 hornet, but I think I'd be better off starting with something smaller and lighter.

I recon I'll probably end up dropping it a few times, so instead of getting dents in a bike I really want, I thought I might get a dirt bike first. They're lighter and wont get damaged as easily, right?

Here's my line of thinking: I get something relatively cheap, around 1.5k, something along the lines of KTM 400 enduro (or maybe drz400). I'll use it to learn how to ride bikes in general, and then later on I'll get myself a newer, stronger, harder, better bike.

Now of course I could just buy any other small bike and then upgrade, but figured that if I get a dirt bike, I might as well keep it to mess about offroad once I get a bigger bike. It would save me the hassle of having to sell it and all that.

Thoughts? Basically if I'm not planning to actually go offroad in the first few months and only use it to commute though city, am I being dumb by thinking about getting bike like that?

Someone talk me in or talk me out of it please : )
Old 21st November 2018, 12:56 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 31828 from Athlone (ex-Dub)
3,928 posts since Jul 2013
Motorbike: CRF250RLA
Default Re: Getting a dirt bike as first bike

It'd be a prime target for the legions of scum in Dublin city & surrounds...
Old 21st November 2018, 01:29 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,660 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

Good idea imo but get something not too desirable to scumbags, an old bmw f650 is ideal for commuting etc or something smaller and lighter maybe but buy a good quality lock and chain and use it all the time, also fit a killswitch hidden somewhere so no kunt can just ride off on it, wont stop someone lifting it into the back of a van but will stop ordinary skumbags.
Old 21st November 2018, 07:27 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 5983
1,271 posts since Jun 2007
Motorbike: fazer

Originally Posted by kcp
Hello yall.

So I've just passed my lgbt and I'm looking to get a first bike.

I mainly need it to commute through dublin city. Ideally I'd like something like a 600 hornet, but I think I'd be better off starting with something smaller and lighter.

I recon I'll probably end up dropping it a few times, so instead of getting dents in a bike I really want, I thought I might get a dirt bike first. They're lighter and wont get damaged as easily, right?

Here's my line of thinking: I get something relatively cheap, around 1.5k, something along the lines of KTM 400 enduro (or maybe drz400). I'll use it to learn how to ride bikes in general, and then later on I'll get myself a newer, stronger, harder, better bike.

Now of course I could just buy any other small bike and then upgrade, but figured that if I get a dirt bike, I might as well keep it to mess about offroad once I get a bigger bike. It would save me the hassle of having to sell it and all that.

Thoughts? Basically if I'm not planning to actually go offroad in the first few months and only use it to commute though city, am I being dumb by thinking about getting bike like that?

Someone talk me in or talk me out of it please : )

I don't think you'll get either of those bikes for 1500. They're popular so they hold their value. What about DT125 or a XR125?
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:48 AM
ISB Contender

Biker.ie Member No. 26650 from Meath
418 posts since Jun 2011
Motorbike: Honda cbr 400

Not sure how far your commute is but off road bikes arent the quickest on the road and off road tyres dont help either, theyre not very comfortable, and offer no weather protection, if your going to be using it for commuting everyday id get a road bike, and save for a second bike, and insurance can be hassle, i found it hard to get full cover for a klx, they wanted to only give turd party, no fire and no theft, got full comp in the end but took a bit of back and forth with them, also dual sport bike like your thinking about for 1500 will be a pos and cost you a lot more in the end
Old 25th November 2018, 01:26 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 38574
41 posts since Sep 2018

I have a Hornet 600 for that kind of money if you're interested.
Old 25th November 2018, 01:47 PM
MotoGP Legend

Biker.ie Member No. 30120 from Clondalkin, Dublin
2,129 posts since Oct 2012
Motorbike: Naked trophy 900
Modifications: an ash-tray..

A dirt bike will be straight in the back of sum scummers van in the middle of town,
Old 25th November 2018, 05:52 PM
Novice Racer

Biker.ie Member No. 34102 from South Kilkenny
82 posts since Nov 2014
Motorbike: Yamaha big to small...

You'll probably only get 3 party only insurance on "dirt" or dual sport bike in city as there a real target for lads robbing them.....

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > Introductions > First time bikers

Tags
bike, dirt