Biker.ie Forums Irish Motorbike Enthusiasts
Home Events Bikes for Sale Mobile Style Motorbike Chat Racing Rideouts » Register free!

Go Back   Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Old 7th July 2018, 10:16 PM
ACDC

Biker.ie Member No. 3220 from Cork boi
15,598 posts since May 2006
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: Hayabusa Street Fighter
Modifications: a few :)
Default engine running and the weather

anyone notice the very hot days the bike ran a wee bit shitter than usuall,
I would just have put it down to mayby a bad drop of fuel from aplplegreens
(I know -thats another thread lol)
but I noticed this on 3 bikes I was riding.
When it got cooler in the evening the bikes ran perfect and back in our winter during the very cold and dry days the bike ran and feel better than ever.

One of these was a carb fed bike the other are Fi, I would have thought the FI system would correct this but no.
I can understand the cold air during them times in winter as things on cages like inter coolers if I understand it correct cool the air down before it gets into the cylinder but I might be completely wrong,
but during the very hot days the fi bikes and the carbd ran rough.

I know or think that bikes are tuned for which ever part of the world there going to like Continent wise , a middle east bike with 40+ temps as norm would be set up different than a European bike NO??????
Old 7th July 2018, 10:20 PM
Resident gynaecologist

Biker.ie Member No. 19392
12,566 posts since Nov 2009
Motorbike: NSU Quickly
Modifications: Lobotomy
Default Re: engine running and the weather

If it's your bike that's having the problem, early busas were a cúnt for boiling the fuel in the fuel pump, due to the pump sitting directly over the engine. It was especially bad on hot days. Mine did it three times before I sussed the problem, and apparently it was a recall, where Suzuki put some heat shielding around the pump.
Old 7th July 2018, 10:23 PM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 9980 from west limerick
8,384 posts since May 2008
Motorbike: Heaps, in both senses
Modifications: Tyres, when necessary on

Cold air is denser than hot air, therefore expands more when exploded in the engine giving you more power, thats why there are such things as intercoolers etc. Always run better/ stronger on cool air.
Old 7th July 2018, 10:43 PM
ACDC
Original Poster of This Thread Topic Starter

Originally Posted by Gixxer
If it's your bike that's having the problem, early busas were a cúnt for boiling the fuel in the fuel pump, due to the pump sitting directly over the engine. It was especially bad on hot days. Mine did it three times before I sussed the problem, and apparently it was a recall, where Suzuki put some heat shielding around the pump.
yea just the very hot days only, a bit of the heat shielding like the type you have on the inside of the fairing would do the job , the k6 1000 was the same , and when the temp dropped it ran 100%, I thought it was down to the temp of the air fed into the ram duckts

Originally Posted by allsorts&oddjobs
Cold air is denser than hot air, therefore expands more when exploded in the engine giving you more power, thats why there are such things as intercoolers etc. Always run better/ stronger on cool air.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:28 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,931 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

Get youself some Octane Booster in Halfrauds.....

(I know......a whole nudder thread)
Old 7th July 2018, 11:29 PM
ACDC

Originally Posted by cracker boy

ahh stop now Id drink the stuff

anyway Im convinced that applegreens juice is shit, ye may call me paranoid but 3 bikes and every time I got juice there as opposed to the place out in Ballincollig that has the super+ I noticed a difference in th e applegreens stuff

Last edited by acdc; 7th July 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:52 PM
Lurking boogeyman

Biker.ie Member No. 5615 from North West
892 posts since May 2007
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: XJSXVCRFLH2890
Modifications: Yeah. A few.

You could have as much as 3000 feet difference in density altitude for the same location between winter and summer in Ireland. Low temperatures essentially lower your altitude and high temperatures increase it. This shouldn't badly affect an FI bike but can mess up a carb.
Old 8th July 2018, 12:04 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by scorpy
You could have as much as 3000 feet difference in density altitude for the same location between winter and summer in Ireland. Low temperatures essentially lower your altitude and high temperatures increase it. This shouldn't badly affect an FI bike but can mess up a carb.

It isn't a hot weather/carb thing. It's an issue elsewhere.
Old 8th July 2018, 12:25 AM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,051 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Blade, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

Originally Posted by cracker boy

funny you should say that, was having some poor running with the heat recently (due a remap as pc preset map on my rr4 leaves alot to be desired) but ran some octane booster this afternoon and ran that bit better, thought it was my imagination.........

but the mornings i drive into work it feels like the bike has an extra 10bhp, this heat really does make a difference to fi bikes which i had thought would not be affected as much as a carbed yoke
Old 8th July 2018, 12:39 AM
Resident gynaecologist

Originally Posted by sharpbikes
funny you should say that, was having some poor running with the heat recently (due a remap as pc preset map on my rr4 leaves alot to be desired) but ran some octane booster this afternoon and ran that bit better, thought it was my imagination.........

but the mornings i drive into work it feels like the bike has an extra 10bhp, this heat really does make a difference to fi bikes which i had thought would not be affected as much as a carbed yoke
Unless the bike has been fucked with somehow, this weather shouldn't be a problem.
The same bike is sold throughout Europe, where the temperatures are much hotter than here.
Old 8th July 2018, 01:02 PM
Ritz & Tuc crackers rock!

Biker.ie Member No. 33993 from Naas, Co.Kildare
1,931 posts since Oct 2014
My Motorcycle Pics Motorbike: R1200GSA
Modifications: 19st of ballast!!!

It will run better with 98ron in it (which we can't get)

Always use it abroad and the GS definitely runs smoother on it.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:12 PM
bike broke

Biker.ie Member No. 30720 from Offaly
2,051 posts since Jan 2013
Motorbike: Blade, zx7/9r, Uni-cycle
Modifications: inflatable doll underseat

Originally Posted by Gixxer
Unless the bike has been fucked with somehow, this weather shouldn't be a problem.
The same bike is sold throughout Europe, where the temperatures are much hotter than here.
think its down to the power commander map being a little lean on my setup and heat buildup is causing issues, i know octane booster isnt the solution but it helps till i get it remapped. dont think the seat of the arse dyno will do much for a pc map
Old 9th July 2018, 09:04 AM
Supporter

Biker.ie Member No. 34969 from Cork
1,367 posts since Jul 2015
Motorbike: The all mighty GS

While this is absolutely true, it will be unnoticeable for any mortal on the road.

You might see tens of a second difference on a track, but on the street on a street bike.... there'll be no difference.
Old 9th July 2018, 12:41 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by RTV
While this is absolutely true, it will be unnoticeable for any mortal on the road.

You might see tens of a second difference on a track, but on the street on a street bike.... there'll be no difference.
maybe not so noticeable on a bike but it deffo makes a difference hauling a trailer full of shite behind a 4x4 unmentionable up a big hill
Old 9th July 2018, 01:33 PM
ACDC

my bike is running perfect now last 2 days, I drove till there was only about less than a liter left and filled up at a campus garage out the Kinsale road and its still hot so I put it down not to dirty petrol, I hardly think that Applegreens would have bad fuel and all garages have a decent filter on the tank.
I am only guessing but it could be the additives they put in that is actually good for the new and newish 0-10 year cages on the road but not good for our auld ice lumps.

Originally Posted by RTV View Post

maybe not in speed, but I defo noticed it on the bandit on very cold dry mornings back in Nov , she felt alot more responsive on the throttle and just better is the only word I can come up with

Last edited by acdc; 9th July 2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 9th July 2018, 02:02 PM
Supporter

maybe not so noticeable on a bike but it deffo makes a difference hauling a trailer full of shite behind a 4x4 unmentionable up a big hill
When you're at the limit, every little thing counts for sure. But turning the AC off would make a much bigger difference for example or getting the right tyre preassure, etc...

On newer engines with lamba sensors it should adjust accordingly on climate change. Maybe turbo engines will be a little bit more noticeable ?? Dunno...

Originally Posted by acdc
maybe not in speed, but I defo noticed it on the bandit on very cold dry mornings back in Nov , she felt alot more responsive on the throttle and just better is the only word I can come up with
I don't know bud, if you felt it... you felt it, but on an engine like the bandit I don't think you'll see 1hp difference in average with different ambient temperature. And again, none of us mere mortals will tell the difference.

Maybe it was something else, better fuel, tail wind, you just gave her a little bit more than usual and you were not expecting the push, could be a million things really. But from a technical point of view, on fuel injected/ECU controlled bikes I don't see making too much of a difference.

Just my non-expert opinion

Cheers,
Rami
Old 9th July 2018, 03:26 PM
Supporter

engines run better/smoother and more driveable on cooler air, simples, no one is trying to quantify it here, itb just happens, doesnt matter if its FI or carbs, air is air , thats why intercoolers were made, to cool the incoming air charge, if it wasnt any use the manufacturers wouldnt bother with it, yes i get the point that we cant tell the diff with a high revving sportsbike but you will with a big thumper like a single or twin, even the likes of a bandit running at lower throttle openings will run smoother/better on cool air than hot, if you are riding a particular bike every day youll find the difference. Generally not a big thing just the feel of it.
also why cages air intake is usually just behind the grille not next to the exhaust.

Last edited by allsorts&oddjobs; 9th July 2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 9th July 2018, 03:29 PM
aah shite

Biker.ie Member No. 25361 from arkham asylum
5,816 posts since Feb 2011
Motorbike: Gluaisrothar

Acdc bandit had carbs .have to admit I've found in the past some of my older carbed bikes ran better on a frosty morning .not noticed a difference on my fi bikes tho
Old 9th July 2018, 03:43 PM
Supporter

engines run better/smoother and more driveable on cooler air, simples, no one is trying to quantify it here, itb just happens, doesnt matter if its FI or carbs, air is air , thats why intercoolers were made, to cool the incoming air charge, if it wasnt any use the manufacturers wouldnt bother with it, yes i get the point that we cant tell the diff with a high revving sportsbike but you will with a big thumper like a single or twin, even the likes of a bandit running at lower throttle openings will run smoother/better on cool air than hot, if you are riding a particular bike every day youll find the difference. Generally not a big thing just the feel of it.
also why cages air intake is usually just behind the grille not next to the exhaust.
You can't really compare the air temperature out of exhaust gases to a 5/10 degree ambient temperature drop... intercoolers are designed to cool exhaust gases before being compressed by the turbo which will heat the air up again.

On a injection/ECU controlled engine where there's an ECU that senses how much air you're getting and changing the air/fuel ratio instantly, a small drop in temperature won't make fuck all difference.

But again, I don't argue of "the feel". But again I'll point it to different factors other than the cooler air intake.
Old 9th July 2018, 03:50 PM
pain in de hole

Biker.ie Member No. 10766
496 posts since Jun 2008
Motorbike: Busa - RSVR - Crf450x
Modifications: Top t' bottom

intercoolers are designed to cool exhaust gases

Oooops

Return to Main Topic Biker.ie Forums > General > General Bike Chat

Tags
engine, running, weather